AGI/FIA & IGI/FII

odie451

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
odie451
Question regarding the FIA and FII certifications. From doing previous searches I know that if I take the AGI, I should also take the FIA; since the tests are nearly identical. Same as with the IGI and FII tests. I also know that taking anyone of these tests helps lock-in the FOI certification. I also know that a person does not need a PPL to teach ground school or instrument ground school, if they have the AGI or the IGI rating.

What I am not sure of is it possible to give instruction in a flight simulator and sign a logbook if a person only has a FIA or FII rating, no medical or PPL.

What are the privileges of a Flight Instructor, if they do not have a PPL or medical

§61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.
(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate—
(7) When serving as an Examiner or check airman and administering a practical test or proficiency check for an airman certificate, rating, or authorization conducted in a glider, balloon, flight simulator, or flight training device;

You can't get a flight instructor certificate without a commercial pilot certificate. If you can't get a flight instructor certificate the FIA and FII tests are useless.

Yes, to amplify DMS's statement. The FIA test does nothing but satisfy one of the requirements for the flight instructor/airplane certificate. A commercial certificate with an instrument rating (or an ATP) is required as well before you can take the flight test. Once issued, you must still maintain a pilot certificate in order to use your flight instructor certificate (either in the air or on the ground).

In addition, a medical is not required even in the air unless the instructor needs to be a required crewmember. That is that either the student isn't able to be PIC and the instructor must serve as one, or that the instructor is a safety pilot for simulated instrument flight. In that case, they need a third-class medical (or basic-med).

While the FAA waffled on the distinction for a bit, ground instructors are not eligible to provide loggable instruction on simulators.

What I am not sure of is it possible to give instruction in a flight simulator and sign a logbook if a person only has a FIA or FII rating, no medical or PPL.

It's buried, but FAR 142.47(a)(5) is what you're after:

(5) Meets at least one of the following requirements -

(i) Except as allowed by paragraph (a)(5)(ii) of this section, meets the aeronautical experience requirements of § 61.129 (a), (b), (c), or (e) of this chapter, as applicable, excluding the required hours of instruction in preparation for the commercial pilot practical test;

(ii) If instructing in flight simulator or flight training device that represents an airplane requiring a type rating or if instructing in a curriculum leading to the issuance of an airline transport pilot certificate or an added rating to an airline transport pilot certificate, meets the aeronautical experience requirements of § 61.159, § 61.161, or § 61.163 of this chapter, as applicable; or

(iii) Is employed as a flight simulator instructor or a flight training device instructor for a training center providing instruction and testing to meet the requirements of part 61 of this chapter on August 1, 1996.

You can't get a flight instructor certificate without a commercial pilot certificate. If you can't get a flight instructor certificate the FIA and FII tests are useless.
You can get a Flight Instructor certificate with Sport Pilot privileges if you hold a Sport Pilot or Private Pilot certificate. Not sure how that translates into Getting ground instructor certificate/ratings, however.

142 would apply likely if we were talking about real simulators (like the kind airlines use). The poster however I suspect was thinking more along the lines of a training device (touch trainer, redbird, etc...). The rules for that are even more "buried." The burial takes place in the FAA determination that flight instructors, rather than ground instructors, are the only ones authorized to give training in these devices. This is hinted at in AC 61-136B but really codified in a legal counsel interpretation that says since 61.215 (the privileges of a ground instructor) doesn't specifically mention training devices, this means that ground instructors aren't authorized for this.

The next part is what about flight instructors without a PPL. As pointed out by DMS, you can't get a flight instructor certificate without a commercial or ATP (61.183(c)). He also can't give flight instruction 61.195(b) without at least a private (though I guess you can argue that training devices are not flight instruction). However, he can't give instrument instruction (ground or air) without a commercial (or ATP) as in 61.195(c).

As stated, medicals aren't required even in the air except for the cases where the instructor is required pilot crew.

You can get a Flight Instructor certificate with Sport Pilot privileges if you hold a Sport Pilot or Private Pilot certificate. Not sure how that translates into Getting ground instructor certificate/ratings, however.
It doesn't. But similarly to the ground instructors not being able to give training in training devices, neither can sport pilot instructors.

Thank you Everyone, for answering my post.

Back