08/07/2020: T210 down in Utah

Wow. Seems like a lot of damage for such a flat open area.

There's a lot more info on this crash available now, including video as it happened and the pilot's account.

Flight video -

Pilot account - https://www.instagram.com/p/CDz5fhdJJdt/

Passenger account -

Kathryn's Report - http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/08/cessna-t210m-turbo-centurion-n761rg.html

Comment above about pancaking it in seems about right. Gear up, smooth flare would have done everyone much better. Not to mention shoulder harnesses weren't on. I know it's easy to arm-chair QB this thing, but the pilot's account is disappointing. 10 ft. of skid marks does not indicate flying it all the way in. To hear him tell it, he did everything right. I won't know how I'll react if/when I lose an engine, but I would hope at least to be able to call a spade a spade and recognize what needed to be done and warn others of the tendency to pull back on the yoke. Stall horn going off way up high was an early indicator of what was about to take place.

Last edited:
Just an casual observation, but it seems they may of landed in ‘upsloping’ terrain. It’s more evident yet(terrain) in that recent crash near Telluride, CO. One would have to try to take that into account with an engine out. Not really trying to armchair QB, just that I can imagine the crash is a lot harder if not matching the upslope best one can. I’d rather a little extra speed verses to little for the final touchdown.

The other observation is, generally keep extra altitude below you when not favorable to an engine out.

I've only recently been looking at a lot of accident reports and YouTube commentaries on them. I've thought a lot more about some decisions I need to make on the ground before the engine goes out in the air. Some of them are as follows:

1. I don't owe this airplane anything as it has let me down. I'm only looking for the best outcome for all onboard.
2. Gear stays up unless I have a suitable hard surface to land on, i.e. asphalt, gravel, turf. Basically when it quits it's gear up by default until the situation says gear down.

This pilot seemed to have "gear down" as default. A few years ago that would have been my default as well. I don't think it would have made a big difference given how he came in almost vertical.

1. I don't owe this airplane anything as it has let me down. I'm only looking for the best outcome for all onboard.

Exactly. Do whatever it takes to save the folks on board because the airplane now belongs to the insurance company.

Wonder if pilot simply forgot to switch fuel tanks due to being distracted by passengers. Manual fuel selector shown in video.

Engine running but no power ? = #2 bearing fail and crank fail at that point. There are about 10 continental problems with that- I nearly had one in 2017 but I detected it at an 18 hr oil change.

Continental told me to pound sand.
We had a Bonanza land out south of Kankakee two autumns ago. Same problem.

Back