Avidyne 540

TommyG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
So it seems my 530W might be shot. So to keep cost down because it is a easy swap out, what are the drawbacks of getting a Avidyne 540 over upgrading to Garmin 650 or 750 besides the cost of the install for the garmin?

do you have a garmin auto pilot? if not, i dont see anything is missing if you decide to go 540 route. if you do, VNAV coupling doesnt work without a Garmin NAV unless they have changed it very recently

So it seems my 530W might be shot. So to keep cost down because it is a easy swap out, what are the drawbacks of getting a Avidyne 540 over upgrading to Garmin 650 or 750 besides the cost of the install for the garmin?
If you are used to Garmin, there is a different logic to the IFD system which means a bit of a learning curve. How steep it is is more about you than the differences. This past COVID spring/summer, I did a series of videos highlighting the differences when doing three tasks. About 8 minutes each. If you are interested click the link to my YouTube channel.

Last edited:
I see absolutely no drawback of going with an IFD540. I prefer it to the GTN even if the cost and install was the same.

Just a good old STEC 50 with ALT Hold only. No plans for going to the GFC 500 anytime soon.

Just a good old STEC 50 with ALT Hold only. No plans for going to the GFC 500 anytime soon.
We have an Avidynne 540 with a GFC500 Garmin autopilot and two G5’s. Would not do it differently, very satisfied!

we replaced a Garmin 530 with the 540.

I have a Garmin GTN 650 personally, but people I know who have the Avidyne 540 like it a lot. It's one technology generation behind the latest Garmin 750xi now, but it's not a big difference, just a lower-resolution display and slower processors. Unless you need the extra connectivity with other Garmin devices or prefer the GTN design (like I do), I think the 540 would be a no-brainer for you because of the reduced installation cost.

The other downside of an Avidyne is that you're stuck buying the more-expensive Jeppesen database subscriptions, while Garmin also offers their own, slightly cheaper databases as an alternative. The difference is only a couple of hundred dollars, I think, so the savings from not paying the extra installation cost would cover a lot of years of that. :)

Can’t help with the GTN vs IFD comparison from direct use in airplanes. I played with both at Sun n Fun and a bit with their simulators. I decided to upgrade my 530W/430 to the 550/540 and a couple hundred hours later, am glad I did. I thought it would take longer to get used to but after playing with the iPad sim a bit and watching some YouTube videos I was very comfy quickly. Attribute that to the intuitive design.

Whatever you decide, good luck on the upgrade!

I pay $299/yr for the nav database that includes the entire country. IFD-540.

That subscription includes the database for 2 iPads that run IFD-100. I don’t use it often but it’s there as another huge screen of a separate IFD, minus the radios. Sometimes I’ll use one in SVS, another in MAP mode or FMS. Overload? It can be. I use ForeFlight for FAA charts.

I went from a GNS 530 to and IFD 540. I LOVE the 540. Don't regret the decision for a second.

I don’t know if this is still the case, but when I asked about whether my WX500 Stormscope would interface with the IFD440, like it does on my GNS430W, they said no. Anyone know if interface with my EI FP5L fuel flow can connect to the IFD440? Otherwise, it would be an option for me to switch out with no significant labor.

Last edited:
I thought the WX500 worked, but I’m not sure. The FP5L will work with the IFD, both send and receive.

I made the switch for a 530W/430W to Avidyne IFDs last year, and I couldn't be happier. With regard to the user interface, I know this is personal preference, but I much prefer the clean, simple interface of the IFD over the menu-driven GTN in that regard.

I posted my upgrade experience (did it in my hangar with an A&P friend who signed it off) here on PoA back then:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...de-journey-ifd550-ifd440.119722/#post-2760252

- Martin

do you find stormscope to be useful? some people have them and never uses them, so wont fly without them , especially in SE
Very useful. It is real-time data and has helped me tactically on several occasions. When you get your adsb-in Nexrad image, which has a delay from 5-20 minutes, and you have made a misjudgement and need to know where to go now, the lack of discharges along a path, even if the controllers are painting your same Nexrad image and seem to be persuaded by that, can save your bacon.

Yes there are differences of opinion, as a search can find them, but I think those opinions are from folks who have little experience with them. It does have some idiosyncrasies that experience teaches you about.

Very useful. It is real-time data and has helped me tactically on several occasions. When you get your adsb-in Nexrad image, which has a delay from 5-20 minutes, and you have made a misjudgement and need to know where to go now, the lack of discharges along a path, even if the controllers are painting your same Nexrad image and seem to be persuaded by that, can save your bacon.

Yes there are differences of opinion, as a search can find them, but I think those opinions are from folks who have little experience with them. It does have some idiosyncrasies that experience teaches you about.
I still have a WX-950 installed. It got me onto trouble once early on, before I was fully proficient using it, but it helped me stay out of trouble many times after.

I agree that it's a complement to satellite weather, not a replacement — it doesn't have nearly as much info as SXM or FIS-B, but it tells you what's happening right now.

Back