WTB: prop balancer (or rent)

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Looking to balance a prop...
My local mechanic doesn't know of anyone close by with a prop balancer.
I have learned this place rents one: https://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/new-products/dynavibe-classic-prop-balancer
I have learned ACS currently has the Dynavibe on sale for about $1,300.
I read reviews preferential to the lesser known (to me at least), but more expensive, Aces Probalancer.
I hear there may be a guy down around Charlotte who does it.

I've never balanced a prop before so not familiar with the process.
Price seems high to buy for the very occasional user.
Anyone on here own one they rent out?
Best way to find a local with one?
Best place to look for this?

I've never balanced a prop before so not familiar with the process.
There are a number of Youtube videos that show the process
Price seems high to buy for the very occasional user.
Not something most people buy to include mechanics. I have an ACES 2020 now and had other brands before. Not a fan of DynaVibe or MicroVibe but they work. Plus there is yearly calibration costs. Since it's not a requirement few people invest in this equipment. But there are used deals out there if you are so inclined to buy one along with some off brands for E/AB work only.
Best way to find a local with one?
Try internet search for your area... contact any local prop shops, FBOs, etc... put a request out on social media... someone will know of one. Perhaps get a few others to have their props checked especially if the guy is traveling some distance which helps on price.

Try your closest EAA Chapter. The homebuilders are generally amazing when it comes to specialty tools and the knowledge to use them.

Try your closest EAA Chapter. The homebuilders are generally amazing when it comes to specialty tools and the knowledge to use them.

I second this. Join or start an EAA chapter. Ours bought a prop balancer for club use.

I recently did this, not sure where you are, I found a awesome guy in MN and flew to his podunkville airport

But there are used deals out there if you are so inclined to buy one along with some off brands for E/AB work only.
My googlefu is weak tonight. can you elaborate on this? not familiar with off brands and failed to locate any on fleabay.

not familiar with off brands and failed to locate any on fleabay.
I'll have to ask some friends on the specific names but most were equipment adapted from non-aviation industries that perform the same job. Thats all I know. I've only used the name brand stuff. There was also another product called Balance Master (?) that I've seen used in the non-TC'd world which is fixed and activately maintains balance of rotating components. Coming from an old school helicopter background on the vibration side never gave it any thought but may offer you some options???

My skill level is somewhat close to that of a toddler playing with crayons.
Even though the track/balance process is not very complex you'll still need the basics of understanding the clock angles/corrections, IPS, move lines, etc. So you may want to stick to equipment that comes with instructions vs the off brand I mentioned if you choose to buy. However, you'll be money ahead to simply look for someone who already has the equipment. Perhaps give ACES a call in Knoxville for leads on who is around providing balance services???

Even though the track/balance process is not very complex you'll still need the basics of understanding the clock angles/corrections, IPS, move lines, etc. So you may want to stick to equipment that comes with instructions vs the off brand I mentioned if you choose to buy. However, you'll be money ahead to simply look for someone who already has the equipment. Perhaps give ACES a call in Knoxville for leads on who is around providing balance services???
Thanks
I found one guy near Charlotte NC who does it. currently trying to decide between him, renting one or buying a dynavibe.

Our shop here in Asheboro, NC uses Aces...if all you need is a prop balance...might be an option.

Back