O2 use at 8000 for 2.5 hour flight be of any help?

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
Flying VFR at 8500 feet, 6500 feet for a few hours X country the other day (2 1/2 hours). Would using O2 have provided any noticeable benefit?

Wife - when we stayed in CO for 4 days - got terrible headaches. Used an O2 concentrator for her at night and made it better. After a day I got bad headaches - but I guess I got used to it after a day or so. We’re both on the final approach to “senior citizen” status FWIW.

Depends. If your O2 saturation is whatever your normal is at your normal elevation, it probably won't make a difference. If it drops 10-15% it will. $40 at Walgreens will get you a pulseOx.

Absolutely it will help. If it does nothing else it will reduce fatigue.
The exception might be if you live in Leadville, CO and are accustom to living 8000 feet. but if you are more more than 5000 feet above you normal living conditions it will definitely help.

Absolutely it will help. If it does nothing else it will reduce fatigue.
The exception might be if you live in Leadville, CO and are accustom to living 8000 feet. but if you are more more than 5000 feet above you normal living conditions it will definitely help.

Even if your O2 is 95 at home and 95 in the air? Not saying it would be, but 95 is 95.

I have flown from OKC to Lakeland, FL for Sun N Fun several times. A few years ago I was with a guy who brought his O2 bottle with him, in case we wanted to go high for weather. On the way back, we were at 8000 for the 7.5 hour flight and decided to try using the oxygen anyway, for basically the whole trip.

When we landed, we both felt so refreshed and NOT exhausted like normal after a long flight like that. It was a very noticeable difference. So, highly recommended if only for that purpose alone!

That’s what I’m after. I’m not in danger of falling asleep - but I did notice I felt a bit tired and whatnot after landing.

I live in Colorado, and use O2 1) at night, 2) anytime I'm flying 90 min or more 3) anytime I'm at 10K MSL or higher for more than 30 min.
Choose 1,2 or all the above.

But... if all I'm doing is Denver over the hills to Salida or Leadville (60-75 min for lunch) I won't be on O2.

please excuse the fortune cookie corny comment, but better to have it and not need it, then....

So next question then - what O2 system for 2 people is recommended? Something from Sportys? Something like a $500 two person SkyOx?

Even if your O2 is 95 at home and 95 in the air? Not saying it would be, but 95 is 95.

And if your heart rate is the same at home and in the air, then there will be not affect, but it won’t be. Your heart rate will be higher in order to maintain the 95 at the higher altitude.

But be aware that a pulseox will be fooled if you have CO in your blood. I'd also have a CO monitor in the cockpit.

Whether O2 will help at 8,000 depends on you and your physiology. O2 will often help vision at night, even at 8000. Murphy has a good set of guidelines. I use O2 above 10,000 most of the time, and for a long night flight above 6,000. I would adjust it using a pulse oximeter. I did keep a CO meter in the plane (an electronic one).

Also depends on where you live. My house here in Colorado Springs is at 6300 feet MSL and sitting here at my desk my O2 sat is 97. Pattern altitude at my home drome is 8000. I don't use O2 unless I am flying above 12.5 for greater than 30 minutes but I do use my pulse-oximeter for those flights. So there are many variables as mentioned above. If you are from low altitude country best to use the oximeter as it takes about 6 weeks or more to acclimate to high country.

Can’t hurt.
Might help especially if at night, older, or a smoker.
Only instance where it could hurt is if you were a chronic CO2 retainer(heart and lung problems heavy smoker) excess 02 makes them anxious

No lung problems, never smoked, good heart health. A few months short of 60.

No lung problems, never smoked, good heart health. A few months short of 60.
It won't help your fatigue like oxygen, but to get the ski lodge headache "gone" get an Rx for acetazolamide 250 mgms twice a day and start 24 hours before ascent to the ski county. You'll sleep well the first night.

Thanks! It will be a while before we do skiing again though, as we now live in Atlanta. Locations to fly to are now the beach locations for the wife, or up to KY to see adult children.

Something from Sportys? Something like a $500 two person SkyOx?

I'd buy direct for better support, and of course, you can always request a discount "in lieu of no Oshkosh" or your favorite excuse.

My systems are a combo of Precise Flight and Mountain High components...

Paul

Flying VFR at 8500 feet, 6500 feet for a few hours X country the other day (2 1/2 hours). Would using O2 have provided any noticeable benefit?

Sure! But skip the expensive SkyOx and just open a window for more air:confused::confused::p

<Obviously kidding>

Is there a reason you ask?

Whether it will help or not depends on your ability to process oxygen. As suggested, get a oximeter and measure yourself prior to take off and again at altitude.

Personally, I know an extended time at 8000' will lower my oxygen levels to around 90. O2 certainly benefits me.

Wife - when we stayed in CO for 4 days - got terrible headaches. Used an O2 concentrator for her at night and made it better. After a day I got bad headaches - but I guess I got used to it after a day or so. We’re both on the final approach to “senior citizen” status FWIW.

I use it around 5000 and above. Don’t notice any difference while flying, but am more ‘refreshed’ at destination.

Another idea, if terrain allows, get 45 or so minutes lower before landing. That could be somewhere below 5k.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back