Cool photo

Super Hornets always good for shock waves. Took this pic years ago. Couldn’t fit the whole aircraft because he was going too fast but the waves look like ripples in a pond.

731CCDFF-5911-4717-9D5A-FEB9C4D720B3.jpeg

My last wrench turning was on a EA6B, never hornets.
great photo.

I never noticed the canting.. neat

Something to do with shockwaves..??

Flying the VR-1355 was truly one of the treats of flying out of NAS Whidbey. I suspect I did it more than 100 times up there. 200' AGL and 500 KTS for 22-ish minutes was my record from entry to exit up the spine of the Cascades. When I saw the trailer for TopGun 2 and a scene over a lake I immediately knew it was Bumping Lake on the 1355.

The lake is @ 3:45 on this video.

Last edited:
That's the biggest reason (canted rails) that we (ANG) pushed against buying new Super Hornets to replace our aging Eagles. They just aren't fast enough. We've recently hired two Navy guys (both flew legacy and Super Hornets) and they echo what we've been told - they "barely" get super with the rails and can't with two external tanks. This is why you usually see them with centerline tank only (so I'm told).

Otherwise a very cool jet.

(*edit to add cool pic of me making smooth vapor trails) :D

Attachments

• StarWars4.jpg
    StarWars4.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 24
Flying the VR-1355 was truly one of the treats of flying out of NAS Whidbey. I suspect I did it more than 100 times up there. 200' AGL and 500 KTS for 22-ish minutes was my record from entry to exit up the spine of the Cascades. When I saw the trailer for TopGun 2 and a scene over a lake I immediately knew it was Bumping Lake on the 1355.

The lake is @ 3:45 on this video.

The next time you see a manufacturer bragging about their "military grade" materials, remember the condition of the glareshield in this video. :p

The next time you see a manufacturer bragging about their "military grade" materials, remember the condition of the glareshield in this video. :p

:D Yea, they were just some sort of plastic covered heavy cloth Velcro'ed in place and where routinely pulled back to get at stuff under. Combined with the sun and temps they looked rough in short order.

Back