Is Pre-buy needed/adviced when buying from dealer?

rene86mx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rene86mx
I've been thinking this... how does that work with All American and Van Bortel for example?

I bought from Van Bortel and did a prebuy. They were very good about addressing issues raised in the prebuy and paid for a few things that they didn't have to contractually.

I think it depends on what you’re buying. New or nearly new airplanes I’d consider skipping the inspection but if it’s an airplane that has some age and/or mods I’d want to know that everything is in order prior to purchase.

I was part of a trade in/new purchase transaction with a well known dealer. The dealer did an inspection on the two nearly new airplanes we were trading in so if they’re trying to cover themselves why wouldn’t you?

I've been thinking this... how does that work with All American and Van Bortel for example?
FYI: Having also worked for dealers/brokers but on the helicopter side, the person to ask is your APIA. After all he's the one that will give you the bill at your 1st annual on the things the broker/dealer missed.;)

If you don’t mind running the risk of pouring thousands of unexpected dollars into a aircraft after purchase skip the prebuy!

Is that airplane coming with an enforceable warranty to cover anything that might be discovered later which existed when you bought it?

I don't have anything set yet. Just trying to figure out what my path to ownership is since I'm in a complex situation.

Have my shortlist and haven't figured out my mission yet since due to Covid I believe I'm going to be using it more for travel than the Saturday morning joyride.

I'm between a Mooney, hence always looking at All American and RV12, RV9 or Jabiru 250/230 (US Sports Planes). Mooney would be the one if I can convince the wife that is the only way to travel and visit family for the near future.

I live in Mexico so I'm figuring out what's the AP/IA landscape here. I know there are some but mostly work big jets and 172s. There's a fairly large Rotax community here. Nevertheless I'm planning on finding a shop in MFE, HRL, BRO for annuals and all that stuff.

I always do a prebuy unless I am getting a huge deal, and I can absorb two "worst case scenarios" and still be money ahead. Usually an engine and a $15K annual are what I'm expecting by way of discount to skip the prebuy and sneak out the back door with my bargain.

New planes are not immune from squawks. You should have seen some of the outraged faces when their new G36 Bonanzas were getting dissed by the ABS Service Clinic Inspectors. One had the gear so out of rig, the inspector begged him to repair in place or fly it home with the gear down lest it collapse on landing. :eek:

I don't even know how I'd prebuy a homebuilt plane, but I'd be trying to get The Good Lord VanGrunsven himself to come out and inspect, scrutinize, and bless my prospective RV purchase as properly assembled.

I don't even know how I'd prebuy a homebuilt plane, but I'd be trying to get The Good Lord VanGrunsven himself to come out and inspect, scrutinize, and bless my prospective RV purchase as properly assembled.

How do you determine if a type certificated aircraft is properly assembled? It's not like a wing has never fallen off a 172 because someone forgot to put the nut on the end of a bolt...

Read my lips! ( sorry, you can't)
ALWAYS get a prebuy.
Even if you are buying from your Grandmother, get a prebuy.
Ask "What mechanic hates you the most?" That's your guy. OK, maybe a little extreme.
Get a prebuy.

Airplane brokers are worse than used car salesman. OK, maybe a little extreme.

How do you determine if a type certificated aircraft is properly assembled? It's not like a wing has never fallen off a 172 because someone forgot to put the nut on the end of a bolt...

I don't outside of my own eyes and/or a prebuy. I rely on the manufacturer's fear of tort to see the plane is assembled properly. I think Textron is a better bet than Joe Oshkosh and his decade-long RV8 project, but I have never bought an E-AB so I could be surprised in either direction. :)

You can never go wrong having a pre buy by your own mechanic.

Is that airplane coming with an enforceable warranty to cover anything that might be discovered later which existed when you bought it?
I flew an airplane that apparently did...and the salesman lost his job over it.

good news is, in the 5 trips I did, I only had to declare an emergency once.

better news is, it didn’t tell me about the engine fire, otherwise I’d’ve been scared. ;)

you would hire Vic Syracuse or at least buy his book on the topic.

I always do a prebuy unless I am getting a huge deal, and I can absorb two "worst case scenarios" and still be money ahead. Usually an engine and a $15K annual are what I'm expecting by way of discount to skip the prebuy and sneak out the back door with my bargain.

New planes are not immune from squawks. You should have seen some of the outraged faces when their new G36 Bonanzas were getting dissed by the ABS Service Clinic Inspectors. One had the gear so out of rig, the inspector begged him to repair in place or fly it home with the gear down lest it collapse on landing. :eek:

You prebuy a RV just like any other aircraft. There are numerous people around the country qualified to do a RV prebuy. The nice thing is everything is accessible on a RV and it’s a simple prebuy at reasonable cost.

You prebuy a RV just like any other aircraft. There are numerous people around the country qualified to do a RV prebuy. The nice thing is everything is accessible on a RV and it’s a simple prebuy at reasonable cost.
Exactly. Good workmanship is obvious on these planes, so is poorly fabricated "fixes"

Back