McClellan-Palomar Airport (KCRQ) Encina Smokestack go bye bye.

JonH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JonH
You ever asked for directions in the country?

I mean real directions, not GPS wussy stuff.

They must include the statement of:

"Go down to where the old church used to be. Ya know, the one that burned down in the fire of 98. And turn left."

"And then ya keep going to ya get to Earl's store, you can't missit... an the after Earl's you take the 2nd left... or hold on sec.... (screams to wife) honey is the first or second let to get to the highway after Earl's... Wife... where you going Huntsville? Yeup... Allyawall can't get there from here don't ya know that..."

I've been flying out of CRQ since 1999 and I gotta say, I've heard "smokestack" maybe 5 times. Squires, sure. The lake, yep. Escon, of course. Shoreline and freeway, OK. And way back, the drag strip. Maybe I'm just not paying attention. Definitely a cool landmark though.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

“Turn left where the big brown dog is in the front yard”
“What if the dog’s not there?”
“Well, turn there anyway”

The smoke stack definitely helps you find the airport on those hazy days.

The smoke stack definitely helps you find the airport on those hazy days.

Haven't flown into/out of KCRQ since I moved out of CA in 2016 but I almost always oriented myself to the airport by the smoke stack on both clear and hazy days... It was so easy to find no matter what direction you were coming from and I always struggled with a lot of the other "local" landmarks as they were fairly indistinguishable and generally looked about the same or had other easily confusable landmarks... I had a real tendency to fly right by the airport. About the only time I didn't use it was coming in from the North along the coast on a clear day. The delineation between Oceanside and Pendleton, along with OKB, OCN VOR and Oceanside Pier, it was real easy to find the airport without needing the smokestack but only when you had a good clear day.

I've been flying out of CRQ since 1999 and I gotta say, I've heard "smokestack" maybe 5 times. Squires, sure. The lake, yep. Escon, of course. Shoreline and freeway, OK. And way back, the drag strip. Maybe I'm just not paying attention. Definitely a cool landmark though.

I hear "report over the powerplant". It's usually my approach coming in from over the ocean and contacting them 10 miles out when they tell me to report over the powerplant. Having said that and re-reading me original post I was definitely over exaggerating lol. Sorry.

“Turn left where the big brown dog is in the front yard”
“What if the dog’s not there?”
“Well, turn there anyway”

"go that whay till ya get to the old gas station next to the fieeerrr house... then you just keep going an yuwel see this big oak tree.. if you see the oak tree alyawl going the right way.."

I hear "report over the powerplant". It's usually my approach coming in from over the ocean and contacting them 10 miles out when they tell me to report over the powerplant. Having said that and re-reading me original post I was definitely over exaggerating lol. Sorry.
Actually, this all makes sense as I basically never approach from 10 miles over the water.

Demo crews are prepping the smokestack for demolition in 2021. The skyline is going to look weird without it. Anyone else hate this idea?

ATC is always using it, I don't think I've ever flown without hearing it referenced at least once. I wonder how much of a change it will be for them. It makes an excellent visual checkpoint.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-10-30/landmark-carlsbad-smokestack-coming-down
Could be worse. At Cincinnati Blue Ash airport (ISZ) one could use the big white chemical tanks as a landmark when reporting position. They didn't remove the tanks, but they closed the airport.

Back