Garmin 430 updated trainer?

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm curious if anyone knows about a Garmin 430 trainer for at- home use other than the one that's been out for years. I have that one loaded on my computer and it's kind of a pain to use (slow, small screen size, etc.) If there is a better trainer available I would love to know about it. Thanks.:)

If you have the one which includes the 430W and are not getting Windows compatibility errors, you have the latest version. There are probably some third-party addons for MSFS and XPlane, but other than that, you've got the latest Garmin offering, which is available here.

BTW, mine works just fine. I don't notice any speed or screen size issues on my system.

xplane is about the best I have seen for a reasonable price. It has a few quirks but works very well for the most part and the 430 is standard on their 172. Does require a fairly good computer to run it.
Probably need at least a cheap joystick to get the plane off the ground and engage the autopilot. then can do most of the flying with autopilot, since the point is to learn the 430.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

The Xplane's default 430 is reasonably good, but you can buy a much more realistic version from RealityXP for $35.

I just downloaded the trainer from this website: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3531. It works on a 5 year old Windows 10 updated Surface Pro 3. It opened and ran; it is clunky and dated. For instance, it says "turn it on", but there is no explanation screen/turtorial up front with button-ology. Maybe I will actually figure out split screen and bring the owner's manual up for that purpose.

There IS a way to update the database.................but I forget. "My memory is GREAT, except for the past."

Back