Status
Not open for further replies.

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
There is going to be a TFR for the President today to the north of me this morning, followed by one to the east of me in the early afternoon. I am well clear of both. BUT if I'm in the air when he flies over will there be a moving TFR? With ADSB there would be no escape. :-(
Paul
Salome, AZ

No. TFRs don't move around. And the VIP TFR only protects departure and arrival airports, not enroute. Sometimes you'll see TFRs that don't seem to line up with that, but that's usually to accommodate helicopter movement.

There is going to be a TFR for the President today to the north of me this morning, followed by one to the east of me in the early afternoon. I am well clear of both. BUT if I'm in the air when he flies over will there be a moving TFR? With ADSB there would be no escape. :-(
Paul
Salome, AZ
No. TFRs don't move around. And the VIP TFR only protects departure and arrival airports, not enroute. Sometimes you'll see TFRs that don't seem to line up with that, but that's usually to accommodate helicopter movement.

The fighter jets protect the President while enroute. If you think the TFRs are scary.... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

Yes and no...sort of. TFRs don't follow the aircraft in flight, only the airports as you mentioned. However TFRs can be mobile, if the protectee is using ground transportation. Those can be a bastard. A recent former POTUS did a bus campaign tour near here years ago, and the TFR followed his bus for over 150 miles.

Yes and no...sort of. TFRs don't follow the aircraft in flight, only the airports as you mentioned. However TFRs can be mobile, if the protectee is using ground transportation. Those can be a bastard. A recent former POTUS did a bus campaign tour near here years ago, and the TFR followed his bus for over 150 miles.
What, seriously? Never seen one of those. How in all hell would you avoid that thing reliably?

^This. Either fly IFR or get Flight Following and a unique transponder code. Then you just need to avoid the inner circle of the TFR. I've flown through them before; I generally fly IFR. Only time I was concerned was getting vectors from ATC generally towards the inner circle, then directly at the inner circle. :eek: In a Baron doing 180+ kts. :eek::eek:

Me talking to ATC: "Baron 8-1-Golf is heading straight at the TFR inner circle. You're going to have a new vector for me soon, right?"

Not sure if it would be the right thing, but I'd break out the E word and turn. I'm not getting groped by the Secret Service while face down on the pavement somewhere. Nope.

Yeah, I know someone who was braced by a couple of F-16's. It was suggested that he land immediately at a nearby airport, whereupon he was interviewed by Secret Service agents after he was accused of busting a moving TFR that was enveloping a presidential cavalcade. This was long before the advent of ForeFlight and such. It took over 6 months before the issue was resolved in his favor.

Looks like some poor soul was intercepted in Arizona today flying too close or may be inside the POTUS TFR.

Time to fess up

Looks like some poor soul was intercepted in Arizona today flying too close or may be inside the POTUS TFR.

Time to fess up
I was rubbing up agin' it, but I didn't bust it. I swear!

Personally, I don't understand why Flagstaff.

Some days it’s just easier to stay on the ground.

Time to fess up

It was I.... got a great pick of an F-16. I don't understand what all the racket was about, I was just practicing social distancing... geeezzz... some folks need to lighten up a little.. :D

f-16_arizona_national_guard.jpg

Just kidding :cool:

I’ve had a chance to be up close to aircraft operating as Air Force 1 and 2, and they are absolutely spotless. Amazing.

About 25 years ago, I was waiting in the runup area for the President's helicopter to land at Monterey (MRY). That was the shiniest helicopter I've ever seen.

That's a great picture. Thanks for sharing.

I was an A&P on Air Force 2 once. It was during a campaign rally in 2000. Very clean plane indeed! Funny thing is they had already fully background checked me before asking me if I were interested

Someone almost had a bad day at AF1's next stop at Goodyear, too. I was listening to the GYR tower freq shortly before the TFR went into effect. One of the last pre-TFR operations was a Twin Comanche intending a touch-and-go on runway 3. As he was on VERY short final, tower said, "Twin Comanche xxx, it appears your gear is still up." The pilot responded with a hasty, "Going around!"

It would have been inconvenient to foul the airport's only runway just an hour or so before AF1 was scheduled to arrive. :oops:

I got to watch the intercept live from the ground. Pretty cool from that perspective but I’m glad I wasn’t the pilot that was intercepted.
Gary

We treat our President too much like a King. I have stood within 20 feet of the leaders of Dubai, Oman, Bahrain and Romania (not all at the same time of course!) without any security checking me out at all.

I flew out of Andrews for the latter part of my career and the secret service is the most absolute paranoid and overreaching agency there is. Several times ended up having to go to Pax River for fuel due to unscheduled ramp freezes as we returned.

If I were president the first thing I'd do is ask for a complete risk/benefit analysis and changes would come. When president Bush came to visit my workplace the additional checks and who could go where was amazing. This is with a workforce that is 100% TS/SCI poly cleared (among other checks!)

At least if/when Trump loses the election (no politics intended!) the frequent monster TFRs over his NJ golf course will go away... my frequent weekend destination airport is one mile inside).

When I was an engineer working at the Naval Air Engineering Center (NAS Lakehurst) the VP flew in one day. A bunch of us used to eat our lunches at a little pond on the base about a mile from the office, to get there you had to drive past the end of the runway. One day we headed back to work only to find the road blocked by Secret Service guys who wouldn't let us by until the VP had landed and disembarked, about an hour and a half. It didn't matter that we were all government employees with secret or top secret clearances, nope, we weren't getting through. But it was a nice day to hang out at the pond, then we had to explain to our bosses why we were so late (no cell phones back then).

I as the airport manager unlocked a gate for the SS, and then was not allowed to pass through the gate I just unlocked for them. :no:

When president Bush came to visit my workplace the additional checks and who could go where was amazing. This is with a workforce that is 100% TS/SCI poly cleared (among other checks!)
When Trump came to visit my factory, we had the SS here weeks in advance! Lots of scrutiny.

We treat our President too much like a King. I have stood within 20 feet of the leaders of Dubai, Oman, Bahrain and Romania (not all at the same time of course!) without any security checking me out at all.
I don't doubt that the SS probably goes too far sometimes. I can also understand their institutional paranoia to a point since we HAVE had 4 presidents assassinated, 2 more shot, and numerous other attempts and plots that either never got off the ground or failed.

Being the president is the most dangerous job in the U.S.
18% chance (8/45) of dying in office.
9% chance (4/45) of getting assassinated. (McKinley and Garfield)

Teddy Roosevelt was shot and he still didn't seek help until he stepped to the podium and gave his speech. He was one tough guy.

Teddy Roosevelt was shot and he still didn't seek help until he stepped to the podium and gave his speech. He was one tough guy.

Ronald Reagan describing the assassination attempt to his granddaughter's third-grade classmates, 3/3/1992, Reagan Library, Simi Valley. (Start at the 3-minute mark if it doesn't do so automatically)

At least if/when Trump loses the election (no politics intended!)....

And yet, you managed to sneak a political message in, semi-subtle style. Congratulations ... sigh...

IDK if OP is capable but my solution would be to file IFR and get clearance before takeoff. Can't bust if they clear you through.

I remember landing in Texas and heading to the FBO just as Bush2 was about to get on his way. No TFR. A nice row of black SUV’s was having its underside inspected With mirrors, and a couple of suits came to greet me at my door ...had a good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back