How good or bad were you in early instrument training?

Only thing I would add is that as you get close to your checkride and feel dialed in, you will have a day where it all goes to crap. Your instructor might push you a bit harder so you're ready for the ride, or you might just feel "I've got this" and something happens that throws you off and you feel like you just forgot how to do everything. My instructor warned be about this and he was spot on. We cut our flying short that day and I felt like crap. Got a decent night's sleep and next day it all came back and was fine.

For me, IR was the hardest thing I had done in quite some time. PP seemed like a cake walk in comparison.

It took me almost two years. I wasn't in a big hurry, and my work at the time was pretty hectic. The fact that my written was about to run out pushed me to finish.

As usual I’m weird. I found instrument to be much easier than my expectations. Maybe because you guys had me expecting even worse. Lol

My best advice: Get an instructor who knows how to teach holds from a simplified situational awareness standpoint and spend 15-20 minutes with them and a whiteboard. They will teach you what a hold actually is and work with you on the best way for you to visualize it in the cockpit.
You mean doing it over and over and over in the airplane without any real ground instruction isn’t the best way to learn?!?:rolleyes:

Early on I did massive S turns chasing the needle on the FAC. I got a coupl’a tips from two non CFIIs that fixed that pretty quickly. Most everything else was straight forward for me. I studied holds hard and picked up on that pretty quick so that wasn’t an issue.

Started in May/2019. Checkride scheduled for Nov/2020. I did take a 2 month pause for Corona. I guess I'm slow... :) At least, if I pass, I would take less time than Flight Chops! :p

Has anyone’s IR taken a year to complete?!

Started Nov 5 2019.

Took about 2.5 months off in the spring due to COVID-19 restrictions (CFI-I following his flight school’s rules), and then 1.5 months in the summer due to the annual and some additional squawks awaiting a part.

So between time off and rebuilding proficiency twice, coming up on a year now. About 50 hrs IR training, with about 5 actual. Hoping for checkride next week though!

Thanks again for everyone’s help here!!

Technically mine took over a decade. LOL.

Started, stopped, started, stopped, started, stopped.

Get Er Done! LOL

I sucked at them all the way until I realized I needed to find a way to teach them. A lot more than 20 hours! Beats me how I ever managed to do it right on the checkride! I could find a way to screw up the simplest direct entry. Then one day the light came on (no it wasn't' magenta!) and all the problems disappeared at once.

It's a common rant from me but the "standard" way holds are taught is far more complicated than holds actually are. There are plenty of tips and tricks out there, some of which work better than others, depending on how your brain processes information. My best advice: Get an instructor who knows how to teach holds from a simplified situational awareness standpoint and spend 15-20 minutes with them and a whiteboard. They will teach you what a hold actually is and work with you on the best way for you to visualize it in the cockpit.

Had a very wise old pro pilot say this to me once...

The vast majority of holds other than the FAA “perfect angles” edge cases all can be handled by one rule.

“Hit the fix and turn outbound.”

Now just figure out where you are. Laying the hold out as given via instructions correctly makes that easy.

Are you on the hold side or outside? That’ll determine the direction of next turn.

Will the outbound turn put you way too close to stay on the hold side at the inbound intercept turn? Widen out (teardrop) and make your life a little easier to intercept.

It doesn’t HAVE to be hard.

Yes you do need the course to get this right.

That one little rule will keep you in the safe space while your overloaded dumb brain catches up. And it usually resets the stuck brain anyway.

Just a technique to relax someone with who’s freaking out about the upcoming hold is coming too soon — and as they relax, they’ll think mo’ better. :)

Hold coming up too quick. Panic! LOL. No.

What’s the inbound course? X
What’s the fix? Y

Fly to Y and turn to the reciprocal of X. There. Now you have a couple more minutes to figure the rest out.

Obviously may not work in checkride land where you may be being grilled for the entry type by the right seater. But a nice trick to remember if one ever gets a real world unexpected hold.

Also fine to use it to oneself in your head as a way to demystify a checkride hold. “I’m going to hit that fix and turn to a heading of X which puts me... wherever... which requires Z entry.”

For many, taking the initial pressure off to calculate anything whatsoever, helps them relax and visualize.

“Just do this one simple thing to remove belly fat!” LOL. Little tricks to reset the brain.

Only thing I would add is that as you get close to your checkride and feel dialed in, you will have a day where it all goes to crap. Your instructor might push you a bit harder so you're ready for the ride, or you might just feel "I've got this" and something happens that throws you off and you feel like you just forgot how to do everything. My instructor warned be about this and he was spot on. We cut our flying short that day and I felt like crap. Got a decent night's sleep and next day it all came back and was fine.

For me, IR was the hardest thing I had done in quite some time. PP seemed like a cake walk in comparison.

The “bad day” is a real thing. It can be discouraging, even when people try to pick you up.

This rating may actually be one of the hardest things I’ve ever tackled.

When you’re getting an IR as a personal goal rather than a career path it just takes lots of patience and persistence. I spent about a year and probably 65 hours getting mine. It gave us lots of actual IMC time, which I think made me a more proficient IFR pilot. The 40 hours requirement can make you feel dumb if you don’t have it all pulled together by hour 39, plus with instrument training the goal is perfection. Fly well, but don’t worry if even on your pre-checkride you miss something or aren’t perfect - unless you get a real hardnose examiner they won’t expect perfection but they will want to see that you’re proficient and teachable.

How often are you going up? I’m close to your age. For me it makes a big difference if I fly often. No big gaps! Try not to go longer than a week between lessons. I got my IR earlier this year and I made every effort to fly 3 or more times a week. This makes a huge difference for me. I learned that about myself during my PPL training.

I’m starting to get a little bummed.

I have 15.7 hours of hood time (including 3.5 PP) and 12 instrument flight lessons in the books. I feel like I’m below average in my progress.

The last 2 lessons were VOR and localizer holds.

Here are my suckage points:

*Altitude - every flight I seem to have 2 or 3 episodes where a change in configuration gets me out of trim, and then I get fixated on a task/disctracted and I’m 100 ft off, sometimes as bad as 200.
I've had the same problem in the past. It's a flaw in your scan -- you need to keep scanning around the instruments, even when you have a task like tuning a radio or programming your GPS. It's hard, and it's the first skill to deteriorate when you've had some time off from handflying in IMC.

To make things easier, you don't have to scan the altimeter every time. If you have your AI set properly, and you keep the bar right on the horizon, then you're probably not climbing or descending (much); just include the VSI and ALT once in a while to confirm.

Altitude is never "set and forget", especially if you're leading with the trim.

*Holding - easy to get distracted and “forget” to start my turn.
Buy the noisiest $5 kitchen timer you can find at your local hardware store and attach it to your yoke. In a high-workload environment, don't count on remembering to look at a digital display somewhere on your panel. You won't forget if the timer is screaming at you.

We end most flights with an approach-
*I got below glide slope by half scale 2 flights ago.
*Heading - once or twice I’ll get distracted and lose track of the localizer by about half scale.
Same thing -- scan, scan, scan. As early as possible, figure out what heading is keeping you on the localiser, and hold onto that heading like glue. Ditto for whatever RPM is keeping you on the GS. The AI will tell you if the wings are level, you confirm regularly that the heading bug isn't moving, then once in a while you confirm that the heading is keeping you on the loc and the RPM is keeping you on the glidepath. If you're actively chasing the needles like a sword fight, you'll lose your approach as soon as anything pulls away your attention.

And now my VFR landings are starting to suck because I’m used to being on final at 90 kts IFR, vs my VFR 70 and 60 on short final. Just more discouraging on top of the IFR suck.
Yeah, my VFR landings went all to hell while I was doing my instrument rating. I celebrated after getting it by visiting a lot of short, grass strips and reminding myself of the fundamentals. They'll come back OK, but it's understandable that your focus is on the IFR approaches to big runways right now.

My CFI tries to be encouraging, but he’s also noted that I need to be getting my altitudes nailed at this point.
If you nail your scan and attitude, you'll nail your altitudes. Give yourself time, and be patient. BTW, your scan and attitude flying is an easy thing to practice on a home sim like X-Plane, FlightGear, or MSFS -- just make sure you add in some winds and turbulence to make it realistic. And if you want distractions, get a family member to keep coming in and bugging you while you're doing it. :)

Be kind to yourself. You've already proven you're a serious, committed pilot by working on your instrument rating. You'll get there, and it doesn't matter if it takes you longer than some other students (remember the old joke: "What do you call the person who graduated last in their medical class? Doctor.")

Thanks everyone. I got signed off for my checkride, now trying to find a DPE with an opening.

Interesting. I think for all 3 of my check rides we scheduled looong before I was signed off for the check ride, but as we thought I was getting close. Easy to push it out once scheduled but not always easy to get on the schedule. Or at least on short notice.

Don't beat yourself up. A lot of pilots have difficulty learning instrument technique and most deviations are either the result of a faulty instrument scan, or unconscious over-controlling. I've seen a lot of this in the last ten years I've been doing instrument programs. If you can find a copy anywhere, look for this book (Precision Attitude Instrument Flying, by Gene Hudson). It is a reasonable read and offers practical solutions for control issues. My CFII made me read this on day one. I have a modified a primer for some of his tips (All attribution to the work of Mr. Hudson) and I'll attach it to this post. Maybe it will help. My other advice is to "relax" during the flights, use light touch on the controls and avoid over-corrections. One last thing...If you are flying a typical trainer, such as a Cessna 172 or Piper PA-28 model at 90, then somebody has you going WAY too fast. This will cause you to out-fly the glideslope, which is harder to correct that falling below the glideslope. When you start descent from the FAF, you should be 75-80 and no more. If you slow things down, you'll have more time to pick-up and correct small deviations before they get big.

I can't get the IFR document to load, so if you or anyone wants it, shoot me an email (sbestcfii@aol.com)

Done!! The checkride was an anti-climax. The oral was a conversation, with some Q&A / quizzing. 2 hours. The flying part I just did what I was told. Not perfect, but within tolerances. 1.3 hrs.

It’s interesting to look back...somewhere along the way it started to become fun. I think it was around the time of my XC.

Sure, for me, anytime I’m learning, I’m enjoying...but when it doesn’t click, it gets to be “work” and aggravating. *Suck it up, blow through it, try to fix what’s not clicking (Whine if you want, but persevere).* Still had days after my XC that that I sucked. Altitude discipline between machine-gun training approaches was my Achilles heel. By checkride it became a non-issue.

Like they say - your instructor probably won’t let you loose until you’re ready. DPE said about 20% end up with disapproval the first ride, so it happens.

Take away: see * above

Interesting. I think for all 3 of my check rides we scheduled looong before I was signed off for the check ride, but as we thought I was getting close. Easy to push it out once scheduled but not always easy to get on the schedule. Or at least on short notice.

One of the main local DPEs here doesn’t schedule more than 1 week out, as a matter of his own policy. He was on vacation after I was signed off, then had 1 week’s worth of catching up to do. We connected up Tuesday and knocked it out this morning. If I had to guess, he does about 30(?) checkrides a month, mostly for 2 large local flight schools.

Done!! The checkride was an anti-climax. The oral was a conversation, with some Q&A / quizzing. 2 hours. The flying part I just did what I was told. Not perfect, but within tolerances. 1.3 hrs.

It’s interesting to look back...somewhere along the way it started to become fun. I think it was around the time of my XC.

Sure, for me, anytime I’m learning, I’m enjoying...but when it doesn’t click, it gets to be “work” and aggravating. *Suck it up, blow through it, try to fix what’s not clicking (Whine if you want, but persevere).* Still had days after my XC that that I sucked. Altitude discipline between machine-gun training approaches was my Achilles heel. By checkride it became a non-issue.

Like they say - your instructor probably won’t let you loose until you’re ready. DPE said about 20% end up with disapproval the first ride, so it happens.

Take away: see * above

Congratulations, now go fly, file as much as you can, even vfr flights. Shoot approaches, its a perishable skill.

Congrats!! I have mine scheduled for Dec 2. Two practice IFR flights and a mock oral scheduled before then. I feel ready, but I am more nervous than I was for the private practical.

Find an instructor that suits you. Remember that you have hired this person to teach you this stuff. You don't work for the CFI, and if they are too casual about it, too caustic, or just not agreeable, move on.

Back