Well that isn't good...

Ryan A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
austinrc
ACtC-3eDAQAwLdRKg40E4Rb9XNN0yINURZRQUNve1AgPg0Gd3M76HgskTgc-BZH-vJqgTQcuZs560FBQY5tyjiRzK7WbkfhL6XEiNZq9dWCOQJlc7tctYdjSDz1YEMvTWO1eTHIKkikGzBfc7tmRwvK-VgRFIg=w960-h720-no

O6rHLuYPE3rT9_b0QVn2dHpkhDwhtlWqXLuzHYhmx2joPsES34ByPDqU5pety33eJcx9uOJSaQA7NQrX1rueL_c8miY6YbVYPsQT6x_7UsSgyaPKIcyN1Um1iEiXqG27-iPiCPYDLQo8ccU2S_K2BTVNXBj-gnZmLTDnlMTkrKcu57tuoVIhL7k0_sQAhOUZeDI8yh6ShaH-jKH4A6Fr_gJaWGuHNwoD4xXojCkmP-wuN8N5n8cJrMRVgqJ0wcHZsDGT8mSsQeONs0ihpkoSb1KfEw9Wr2FbWiZa_1Io0q6S2mcwpi670vYqNX9Q0hqQRGZlcWJAUju03CiKhgaqZaBAbTin79Dk_o7hWB7_cnZ2D4HjBQrtgz04ij81JKfIlJmTWJzGYJ0_AhaoNND9Dsc7A4rQ2W9uQYPsaGDSTy2KSBCMfKTL_jmIn3Oqg1sG-Vxyik_GkxF6IKQquob_x4Ib5gVsOT8-pC12-9a56DmAcvhCUsLtvvqFThZrSRFK_q1oK7wM1aNlY9HXhrpV8I0AqAu8Hk_2XxLE6oh0whGRRhxzuJBiJ_G0frzOVWY9Qo691XSXAPxG1j8hYaBPfmili1E2Mu_sAMmLstEn_N4hzYroQJr1XJnnyp3Felyh8VjZBVh3mRShBURusb7Bzn-iuZd0_FG-N8tFRkdkjV-kB92h1UBK3tGaEY00Yw=w960-h720-no

LvpmlkrefR8_jmL4_5uXwAtP2aw7282-TTuNnRFmVfASgWRSnNX1HcX5vN9zjyt9zWH6fyU-yr_KD8C95ruJClDCyOqKRqEJnf9WXirvecFc9H6fxk4bTMA2zg6bP5SqJ7eg9C9oreUeSOkZhizJl6yaP--iNB686fcSb6xZp_NuhteX2fU_4rdw2wvsGQaGXny6gUFjpTihWLaNq374wPg20sVHdPgiQBRYZ-2dMmCERxGuSTfQuRa4hZvFDt7FoZh38LeXIb4h5WJq8WiDXSiLvCaZW3Gv-xuCGkO-UDtlyow2fR3QLd0I5RDRxwZhFz0IIVs6ks9e-g2qmQ-B4Hq2qyjEAskptYE4fnD0bEsNehN-u0PmG6NBD-Zpp_zyz8phRSCKYfwcNC84wq_ZjlpXOBqjHNcYCvLgzNQiRwH88M_0wQPNlRXzOGmP5js9P6_sBRY43-DX6thTj4n1fUeVZpJONmTB-yBile3RotDbkuPC4uR6pHrtKMwWnUdmrWCTbEgNXjUQgvBcGhNJl58lnIOlUogpBBhIBYoQ0suUYq0l5IP2KGZJPFlDhaDQFm1ldFjbtZ0d31cmnoZMdYP5lV-qnU5uoR4Qo3WJf3mibIvzmNvH9j7tIq3rGDNvhfkQNKVvQ3FRKktlFsFbuikcYqe84IedbqF-BUZuEDwTXAgsJr7QTnuUyLLylQ=w1292-h969-no

BNdPR70gTLjVLOystebeGhz2yCpHuQawLWUO-A8EMMT1oTAwMCZxzwedcCVKMHIbNdFUJSGdJ3yqJUeX-Ig4gGaHRyWelJO-Lhpw_EjhnzDz2ZKmSi1rXTXxMhbLGeIR-47bCIfmPfsBRgVQXTYsbK6eHav-rrJsCUCnZ-LfBS9MnFcR1TWgdvXpAhhHGe9p2RYc8cBuSsn4FJ1XHEiH__0PJqRnXwTv0otCzMkfj_-4DrgVUFfW8L9U2nU69DNosxV9UhBGNc5E2urcc5jquRrmoaBNSDVaZH3aJY9zmzR9mHFCWa5ug_GNx7rJK2HU2UDQBsckozNZ6a1IldvfxGqAxB1Cl_29t_r6KNsEcy7kN7e7PPvrRcwEStU9fxcC_IixSm073pOuRhZ7-KFAflOqCZWRf-JwQO4Q8NhhjpzTwZLrpiAE0ToyfYt4lcJ49L0thCtkHUQ84VKIp8cbvRdYIC-q9ySw6pjp56HVnCgv_v_2fzi_1LSwCvCfjFZl-pxydTdIZEG6xizp4EMY4Iez-L-6_MUtARBlOphNiQBr1DerLCxfQHX_HvIbzxSn44PKnk7olmTnG0U8unm9L2bsZq5a2FKBjXZk13URvMGv_-I3hwKikymmpovEw38otDU-ZpCixi2kccSRUMGFzErYbKo92D3sNQTHCTYqHmS4-wkeD2q21l_T5UtVvA=w1292-h969-no

Plane flipped over at local FBO in 60+ knot Kansas wind a few weeks ago. Written off, and definitely totaled after that "recovery"...

Apparently the tie downs broke from what I heard.

Billy -> Hey Bob, what part of the plane isn't already trashed?
Bob -> Billy, it looks like the elevator is ok.
Billy -> Cool, let's flip it over using the elevator as the fulcrum
Bob -> Great idea!

Plane flipped over at local FBO in 60+ knot Kansas wind a few weeks ago. Written off, and definitely totaled after that "recovery"...

Apparently the tie downs broke from what I heard.
Odd that there aren't any broken ropes attached to the aircraft. Or complete ones, if the ground anchors had failed.

Perhaps they untied them prior to recovery.

Ron Wanttaja

Odd that there aren't any broken ropes attached to the aircraft. Or complete ones, if the ground anchors had failed.

Perhaps they untied them prior to recovery.

Ron Wanttaja

Looks like there may be a bit of rope in the left wing tie down ring, not in the right, can't be sure about the tail tie down ring.

Bob -> Great idea!

My dad's Cherokee 140 was flipped in a similar way, and the $&^$*(&#^ recovery of the airplane did similar things.

Not that it wasn't totaled before - but the "professional" recovery people certainly delivered the coup de grace.

It made me sick to see it.

Bob -> Great idea!

Yeah I'm sure someone was gonna lovingly restore that ****can before the elevator was damaged on the recovery. ;)

Initially. The conversion to low wing was an ugly one.

I hate gear up landings:confused:
Before I read it was from high wind, I looked for skid marks ... none on pavement, pilot underwear not available:eek::p

That was some recovery,another plane to the parts bin so sad.

What don't people understand about airspeed and lift? At 60 knots that wing will lift considerably more than the 1600 pound gross weight of a 150. Empty it's around 1100, so those tiedowns failed to hold even a lousy 500 pounds.

Not just everyone can not only land inverted but park inverted....

True. And just like landing gear-up, it takes a much higher power setting than normal to taxi back to the ramp.

What don't people understand about airspeed and lift? At 60 knots that wing will lift considerably more than the 1600 pound gross weight of a 150. Empty it's around 1100, so those tiedowns failed to hold even a lousy 500 pounds.
That.. or they were very loose and the plane was able to flip over forwards. I see a lot of people tie down planes and leave a serious amount of slack...

Or... there's no guarantee that these 60 year old pieces of trash airplanes have tie down hooks that can conversely support a 500 lb load

Or... who knows the tensile strength of many of these ropes that sit outside year round for decades getting sun bleached

That.. or they were very loose and the plane was able to flip over forwards. I see a lot of people tie down planes and leave a serious amount of slack...

Or... there's no guarantee that these 60 year old pieces of trash airplanes have tie down hooks that can conversely support a 500 lb load

Or... who knows the tensile strength of many of these ropes that sit outside year round for decades getting sun bleached
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/how-not-to-tie-down-your-aircraft.128792/

Probably could still be saved. 150s make a lot of money for flight schools

Not just everyone can not only land inverted but park inverted....

Apparently if you haven't got a Cherokee handy to sandwich between two Cessnas, it's the next best alternative to save on ramp space...

The tiedown rings on a Cessna are really strong. They're made to aircraft standards, not Home Depot standards, and would take several times as much force as they need to. They have a 5/16" shank and if they're made even to industrial Grade 5 standards they'd be good for nearly 10,000 pounds apiece. They are actually part of the retention hardware for the fork in the strut.

I enlarged those pictures and found both wing tiedown rings still there, and one even had a busted chunk of rope still on it. The tail tiedown ring looks like it's missing, and that would be because repeated tail strikes bent it and broke it off, and the owner didn't replace it.

Can't expect anything better from rotten ropes and missing stuff.

What was the AOA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before I had a microburst claim that tore a Twin Otter out of the ground(chained down) and onto it’s left wing like a tinker toy, I didn’t believe there was wind outside of a hurricane/nado that could do that.

Before I had a microburst claim that tore a Twin Otter out of the ground(chained down) and onto it’s left wing like a tinker toy, I didn’t believe there was wind outside of a hurricane/nado that could do that.
Welcome to Kansas! Where it was 75 degrees on Sunday and snowed 3 inches Monday this week.

My dad's Cherokee 140 was flipped in a similar way, and the $&^$*(&#^ recovery of the airplane did similar things.

Not that it wasn't totaled before - but the "professional" recovery people certainly delivered the coup de grace.

It made me sick to see it.

What's the point of spending a lot of money to right a totaled airplane?

Probably could still be saved. 150s make a lot of money for flight schools

Do you have any numbers or experience to back up that statement?

Genuinely curious. 5 years ago, the school I learned at had a 150 and 3 172s. The 150 was 95/hour wet and the 172s started at 125 and worked up to 170 or so. The expensive one was an early 2000s G1000 equipped model I think. I was the only person who flew the 150, most other students flew the G1000 172 and a few people flew the steam gauges 172s. This isn't a pilot mill either.

Do you have any numbers or experience to back up that statement?

Genuinely curious. 5 years ago, the school I learned at had a 150 and 3 172s. The 150 was 95/hour wet and the 172s started at 125 and worked up to 170 or so. The expensive one was an early 2000s G1000 equipped model I think. I was the only person who flew the 150, most other students flew the G1000 172 and a few people flew the steam gauges 172s. This isn't a pilot mill either.
They’re flying non-stop at the local school. $116-$141 an hour solo depending on equipment.

Back