XM Subscription

Kynadog

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kynadog
Post on another forum made me wonder which XM subscription offers the most bang for the buck. What are you guys using?

I’m using the mid-tier package called Pilot Preferred in SirusXM (or Aviator in XM speak—don’t know why they name them differently—it’s weird).

Maybe this should be posted in avionics? Dunno.

I'm using Aviator LT, the lowest priced version on my Aera 510. Supplement with ADS-B on my NGT-9000. The main thing is NEXRAD coverage for me.

XM was one of the most dysfunctional companies I've ever delt with. It was a great pleasure when the ASB-in I had for the airplane allowed me to tell them to unceremoniously go pound sand. I'd rather take a hole punch to my eyelid than give them another penny of my hard earned coin.

How are the prices these days? I struggled to even find a price listing for their aviation subscriptions when I last looked, a few years ago.

XM was one of the most dysfunctional companies I've ever delt with. It was a great pleasure when the ASB-in I had for the airplane allowed me to tell them to unceremoniously go pound sand. I'd rather take a hole punch to my eyelid than give them another penny of my hard earned coin.

I agree. It’s really bizarre. It’s like they never truly integrated after the merger of Sirius and XM. Very dysfunctional.

How are the prices these days? I struggled to even find a price listing for their aviation subscriptions when I last looked, a few years ago.

They have packages that range from $29.99/mo. to $99.99/mo.

Try receiving ADS-B weather from the ground (or low altitude AGL) in mountainous portions of the country. Isn't going to happen unless you are within sight of an ADS-B "tower". Satellite weather is the way to go in that environment.

Post on another forum made me wonder which XM subscription offers the most bang for the buck. What are you guys using?

I’m using the mid-tier package called Pilot Preferred in SirusXM (or Aviator in XM speak—don’t know why they name them differently—it’s weird).

Maybe this should be posted in avionics? Dunno.
Pilot Express ($29.99/month) doesn't work for me, because it doesn't include Canadian METARs and TAFs (even when I buy it through SiriusXM Canada). Pilot Preferred ($59.99/month) has Canadian METARs and TAFs, but that's a huge price jump.

Just out of curiosity — since there's no cost for switching plans as often as you'd like — I decided to try Pilot for ForeFlight ($39.99/month), which has almost everything that Pilot Preferred has for $20/month less, and it also worked for Garmin Pilot under Android! So I'm very happy with that plan now.

As a bonus, when you buy the subscriptions from SiriusXM Canada, you pay the same sticker price but in Canadian dollars, so I'm paying only USD 30.00/month (CAD 39.99/month) for the Pilot for ForeFlight plan. I think you need to have a credit card with a Canadian mailing address to do that, though.

Back