Hey Delta peeps...

Ok 1 last thought. If we had an EU style requirement to pay out cash if they delay you arriving more than 3 hours would the airlines be more open to waiting a few minutes?
Right now they only have to pony up for a hotel and some food...and even that is a maybe.

The last offer I got for a hotel was a place I wouldn't have boarded my dog.

Ok 1 last thought. If we had an EU style requirement to pay out cash if they delay you arriving more than 3 hours would the airlines be more open to waiting a few minutes?
Right now they only have to pony up for a hotel and some food...and even that is a maybe.

You'd end up paying for it in the end with ticket prices.

It's not a perfect system - you pays your money, you takes your chances.

Yes. The airlines decided how many you could have and then told the FAA what their number was and had wrote into their operations. But their operating agreement isn't the FARs. Ultimately, it is the airlines who decides the number.
There are reasons why there are restrictions to baggage and those reasons are based on physics, available space, and other practical concerns, not some arbitrary decision by the FAA, airline, or airline employees.

Each certificate holder (airline) does write their own carry-on baggage program but it must be one that the FAA will accept. If you say that each passenger can bring an unlimited amount of bags into the cabin then you can't use the standard 190/195 pound passenger weight. Either your plan will be to use higher standard weights or use actual weights for passengers and bags. What the FAA will accept is generally known and this process likely starts with choosing one of the known templates.

One area where we do see baggage programs that differ noticeably is in the 50-seat RJ category as they are more susceptible to weight restrictions when at, or near, their maximum seating capacity and have less overhead space per passenger. Instead of using the standard 190/195 passenger weights, which allow both a personal item and a carry-on bag, some operators have chosen to use a plan that excludes wheeled carry-on bags from the cabin in exchange for a lower per-passenger average weight and a lowered standard weight for each gate-checked carry-on as compared to the standard weight for a normal checked bag. Whichever method the airline chooses, and FAA accepts, is enforceable under 14 CFR 121.589 just as any other FAA regulation.

There is no option that allows gate agents and flight attendants to make different decisions on carry-on baggage on a per-case basis. The employees are required by 14 CFR 121.589 to comply with the carrier's accepted carry-on baggage program. Very few front line employees will know the details of this process. They will only know the rules with which they must comply and many will correctly assume that their compliance is required by FAA regulations.

The issue here wasn't the plane leaving. The issue here is Delta screwing things up by not having an available gate when you arrived.
Gate availability is an issue at all hubs at all airlines. I've also sat and waited for gates at non-US airlines where their airport authority, not the airlines, have control over gate assignment. Larger airlines typically have a dedicated employee to manage gates at their hubs.

I'm attaching a picture of the Gate Manager's screen from a morning UA bank at DEN. Each gate is listed along the Y-axis with time along the X-axis. The horizontal bars indicate the aircraft at, or scheduled to be at, each gate. Color codes show the type aircraft as each gate can only support certain aircraft types. There's also notations for gates with inoperative components (ground power unit or preconditioned air) and one shows a gate blocked (between banks) for repainting. While I was watching, the Gate Manager was non-stop working on reallocating gates, and making all the arrangements for personnel, equipment, baggage, and cargo rerouting due to gate swaps, so as to use the available gates as efficiently as possible.

One reason why your connecting flight may not be held is that an arriving flight was already there waiting for that gate so those passengers can deplane and make their connections.

One way that my airline works to manage gate space is managing early arrivals. Shortly after takeoff, our gate message (from ACARS) shows the time that our gate is scheduled to become available. When we are running early we can slow down so as to not arrive well before our gate is scheduled to be open. I've even received ACARS messages from the destination's station operations control when we're forecast to arrive before our gate will be available to ensure that we are aware that there'll be nowhere to park us at our ETA.

That helps to reduce the number of early arrivals driving gate swaps but you still have to deal with late departures occupying gates beyond their scheduled departure time. This comes from mechanical delays, waiting for late passengers and bags, ATC delays, late inbound aircraft or crew, and all of the other delay causes. As you can see from the Gate Manager's display, there isn't a lot of leeway in the gate allocations to absorb disruptions before it starts to affect gate availability for other flights.

IMG_20180925_104128.jpg

There are reasons why there are restrictions to baggage and those reasons are based on physics, available space, and other practical concerns, not some arbitrary decision by the FAA, airline, or airline employees.

Each certificate holder (airline) does write their own carry-on baggage program but it must be one that the FAA will accept. If you say that each passenger can bring an unlimited amount of bags into the cabin then you can't use the standard 190/195 pound passenger weight. Either your plan will be to use higher standard weights or use actual weights for passengers and bags. What the FAA will accept is generally known and this process likely starts with choosing one of the known templates.

One area where we do see baggage programs that differ noticeably is in the 50-seat RJ category as they are more susceptible to weight restrictions when at, or near, their maximum seating capacity and have less overhead space per passenger. Instead of using the standard 190/195 passenger weights, which allow both a personal item and a carry-on bag, some operators have chosen to use a plan that excludes wheeled carry-on bags from the cabin in exchange for a lower per-passenger average weight and a lowered standard weight for each gate-checked carry-on as compared to the standard weight for a normal checked bag. Whichever method the airline chooses, and FAA accepts, is enforceable under 14 CFR 121.589 just as any other FAA regulation.

There is no option that allows gate agents and flight attendants to make different decisions on carry-on baggage on a per-case basis. The employees are required by 14 CFR 121.589 to comply with the carrier's accepted carry-on baggage program. Very few front line employees will know the details of this process. They will only know the rules with which they must comply and many will correctly assume that their compliance is required by FAA regulations.

Gate availability is an issue at all hubs at all airlines. I've also sat and waited for gates at non-US airlines where their airport authority, not the airlines, have control over gate assignment. Larger airlines typically have a dedicated employee to manage gates at their hubs.

I'm attaching a picture of the Gate Manager's screen from a morning UA bank at DEN. Each gate is listed along the Y-axis with time along the X-axis. The horizontal bars indicate the aircraft at, or scheduled to be at, each gate. Color codes show the type aircraft as each gate can only support certain aircraft types. There's also notations for gates with inoperative components (ground power unit or preconditioned air) and one shows a gate blocked (between banks) for repainting. While I was watching, the Gate Manager was non-stop working on reallocating gates, and making all the arrangements for personnel, equipment, baggage, and cargo rerouting due to gate swaps, so as to use the available gates as efficiently as possible.

One reason why your connecting flight may not be held is that an arriving flight was already there waiting for that gate so those passengers can deplane and make their connections.

One way that my airline works to manage gate space is managing early arrivals. Shortly after takeoff, our gate message (from ACARS) shows the time that our gate is scheduled to become available. When we are running early we can slow down so as to not arrive well before our gate is scheduled to be open. I've even received ACARS messages from the destination's station operations control when we're forecast to arrive before our gate will be available to ensure that we are aware that there'll be nowhere to park us at our ETA.

That helps to reduce the number of early arrivals driving gate swaps but you still have to deal with late departures occupying gates beyond their scheduled departure time. This comes from mechanical delays, waiting for late passengers and bags, ATC delays, late inbound aircraft or crew, and all of the other delay causes. As you can see from the Gate Manager's display, there isn't a lot of leeway in the gate allocations to absorb disruptions before it starts to affect gate availability for other flights.

View attachment 91305

Still all comes down to an error in planning. Someone, somewhere screwed up. Too many arrivals in a certain window so any hiccup causes issues, not enough gate agents, not enough gate agents on call, not enough gates, etc...

If I run out of product that I am supposed to have in stock for customers, it's not the factories fault, it's not the customer's fault, it's not the shippers fault, it's not the weather's fault. It's mine. The buck stops with me, because I screwed up somewhere. I tried to cut it too close between delivery and scheduled shipment, I oversold to someone else, I expected the weather to cooperate, whatever else it may have been. No matter what happened, it's on me.

But apparently the airlines are exempt from any sort of responsibility.

Last edited:
The last offer I got for a hotel was a place I wouldn't have boarded my dog.

Last time an airline booked a hotel for me and my wife was in LA. The agent asked if La Quinta was Ok. I asked, ''Is it near a Denny's.??''

She looked at me and said, ''I am not sure...''

So I asked if that is where you put up the flight crew and she put me in a Hilton instead. The joke was on me because that Hilton was doing some up dating so it was cluttered to say the least.

Joke: What does La Quinta mean in English.??

Answer: Near Denny's....:rolleyes:

Yes it does. It falls back on the airlines, because it's what THEY presented to the FAA as their procedures.

Imagine that I go into a checkride and I am able to determine for the most part the maneuvers and tolerances for the ride and I say "I want my standards to be this" (and they are stupid standards, like +/-5 feet). And I fail the checkride because I went +/-10 feet. It's not the examiners fault that I failed, I was the idiot that put myself in that situation.

Mean while ChemGuy says, I want my standards to be +/-200 , FAA says OK and he passes.

But you guys will point the finger and say nope, it was the FAA's fault that I failed the ride. No, that falls squarely on me. I wrote the book, I dug my grave.
Poor analogy.

If you go to your checkride and you bust a limit in your Piper produced (but FAA approved) POH, who is the gatekeeper of that standard? Piper, since they put in their manual, or the FAA who signed off on it and is now tasked with evaluating to that standard that they all agreed to?

Poor analogy.

If you go to your checkride and you bust a limit in your Piper produced (but FAA approved) POH, who is the gatekeeper of that standard? Piper, since they put in their manual, or the FAA who signed off on it and is now tasked with evaluating to that standard that they all agreed to?

Worse analogy - I have 0 tie to Piper, and I didn't submit it to the FAA
Delta obviously has a tie to Delta and Delta submitted it to the FAA.

Problems are very easy to solve when you don't know any of the details behind them.

And impossible to solve when information is "unavailable" and those that have the info don't really give a **** if they **** off customers.

But apparently the airlines are exempt from any sort of responsibility.
Having defended against such claims, I can tell you that you are correct. They are exempt.

And impossible to solve when information is "unavailable" and those that have the info don't really give a **** if they **** off customers.
I have describe how the opposite is true. Large airlines have employees at each hub whose primary job is managing exactly the issues you describe (gate allocation and holding flights for connections) so as to maximize the benefit from the available resources.

The real question is how perfect a system is the passenger base, as a whole, willing to pay for? You want fewer flights scheduled so that gate conflicts don't occur. Whose flight should be cancelled, someone else's or yours? Whichever flights are cancelled, fewer flights means less Supply which means higher prices and fewer connecting opportunities.

Nearly every major hub has ongoing gate expansion projects in progress. EWR is building a new terminal. LGA is rebuilding its entire terminal and concourse system. ORD has just completed a sixth parallel runway, is expanding terminal 5 and will then proceed to replace and expand Terminal 2 and expand Terminal 1. IAH recently completed a new north C concourse and will continue the rebuild of the north concourses. Denver is rebuilding the interior of the main terminal and extending the ends of each of the concourses. SLC is completing a complete rebuild and reconfiguration of its terminal and concourses. SFO is rebuilding and expanding the south concourses. LAX is expanding the mid-field international terminal with plans to add an additional terminal east of terminal 8. PHX is rebuilding terminal 3 with expanded concourses on both the north and south sides. This represents billions of dollars of investment by the airlines, airport authorities, and local governments but these projects take many years and typically lag behind passenger demand.

Resources are not unlimited. Even in the corporate jet world, where resources are more plentiful, schedule adherence is far from perfect. Someone even wrote a song about it...

Yes. The airlines decided how many you could have and then told the FAA what their number was and had wrote into their operations. But their operating agreement isn't the FARs. Ultimately, it is the airlines who decides the number.
semantics, once the FAA puts it john henry on the op specs that becomes the controlling document under the fars. so in reality is is by faa regulation because the op-spec is what complies with the above far. it takes a re-write of the op-spects to change it, and approval of the FAA. just because the airline askes for it does not mean the faa will approve it.

OK. So i am finally home. Barely. And my elderly Mom who was traveling with me made it as well.

Our flight from SLC to DTW landed late. And we had to go from terminal A to C. A bit of a walk. I went ahead and got there before they closed the door. I scanned in and thats when the trouble started. the troll working the gate wanted me to board. I told her I was waiting for my elderly mother who was coming in a minute or 2. Then she tried to de-plane me from the system but she couldnt remember my name. A redcoat come by and said they could wait for a minute. While I was holding the door 3 more pax got on. That made me feel god that they didnt have to have their plans delayed for several hours or possibly overnight as there was only 1 other flight that night. my got there and we scanned in and boarded. We may have been a couple minutes late but we landed on time. And 5 of us made it home who otherwise may not have.

And dont worry about the down stream affect of my "gate vigilantism". That aircraft was doing a turn and going back to DTW so we didnt destroy the whole NAS this evening.

Also I know why they never hold the plane. If the plane is late leaving it goes against the gate agent in some way. Affecting their "numbers". Wonderful metric Ed. Thats the perfect incentive to ensure people running slightly behind from late connections get effed. Maybe a little local control would give your customers a better chance of completing their travel as scheduled.

OK rant over Im home.

Anyone know how status match works on AA right now?

I have describe how the opposite is true. Large airlines have employees at each hub whose primary job is managing exactly the issues you describe (gate allocation and holding flights for connections) so as to maximize the benefit from the available resources.

The real question is how perfect a system is the passenger base, as a whole, willing to pay for? You want fewer flights scheduled so that gate conflicts don't occur. Whose flight should be cancelled, someone else's or yours? Whichever flights are cancelled, fewer flights means less Supply which means higher prices and fewer connecting opportunities.

Nearly every major hub has ongoing gate expansion projects in progress. EWR is building a new terminal. LGA is rebuilding its entire terminal and concourse system. ORD has just completed a sixth parallel runway, is expanding terminal 5 and will then proceed to replace and expand Terminal 2 and expand Terminal 1. IAH recently completed a new north C concourse and will continue the rebuild of the north concourses. Denver is rebuilding the interior of the main terminal and extending the ends of each of the concourses. SLC is completing a complete rebuild and reconfiguration of its terminal and concourses. SFO is rebuilding and expanding the south concourses. LAX is expanding the mid-field international terminal with plans to add an additional terminal east of terminal 8. PHX is rebuilding terminal 3 with expanded concourses on both the north and south sides. This represents billions of dollars of investment by the airlines, airport authorities, and local governments but these projects take many years and typically lag behind passenger demand.

Resources are not unlimited. Even in the corporate jet world, where resources are more plentiful, schedule adherence is far from perfect. Someone even wrote a song about it...

You said a lot, but completely ignored that it still boils down to someone didn't plan ahead at some point.

Planning can go only so far against a problem that is not 100% predictable.

In addition - you have a choice of plans to implement. Some cost X amount, cover y% if the possible outcomes, while others can cost a lot more for an incremental amount of coverage of possible problems. That was the IMHO the point of the previous post

If the airline plans wrong and too many times the connecting flights don’t work, they lose business. If they have too much cushion and have expensive tickets you will go to another airline. I get it - I think it’s a fair point.

Again - sorry about your trip. IMHO your experience with Delta could have been better without snarky red coats, non empathetic gate agents, and at least a sense of going out of their way to accommodate you. Customer service is something that gets lost in bean counting world of a large organization I’m afraid.

Cracking up at this thread. All of this stuff has been going on since the 90s.

Back when I flew weekly for a living we all knew any chance of being on time happened in the morning. Once the hub and spoke system gets effed in the afternoon, forget about it. If we had to fly after 3, bosses didn’t count on us even making it to the next city by nightfall in any reasonable time to see the next customer the next day or be at the office.

Didn’t matter the airline nor anything other than weather really. If you saw weather locally, or worse, at the hub of whoever you were flying on and had an aircraft change, you’d start asking the travel agency to send you a different route ASAP, if you were smart, and wanted to get home or anywhere else on time.

Hold flights? Intelligent routing by dispatchers who understood connecting flights? Fancy computer tech figuring it all out? None of that, and still isn’t.

And that was back when the regionals were wholly-owned and using the same ticketing system.

Good freaking luck. All they knew about their own systems back then was that us business schmucks had paid a high enough fare that we got priority when bouncing around different airplanes to get home. They had zero clue about the rest of it.

Isn’t really any materially different today.

Don’t want to fly late? Fly in the morning and pick the flight that’s the first outbound from that location. Best shot of not taking a mechanical or weather delay. Fly through the hub with the least weather that time of year. If you bought a high enough class ticket to make changes, and weather is hammering the hub, switch routes. Even if it means a couple more air hours.

After that, all bets are off. And literally nobody cares. It’s mass transit. Think mooooooo. Cattle cars.

Out of all of them, Southwest figured it out and made their system match the reality.

Everybody in that system can understand the rules without needing to gawk into a computer screen navel-gazing at ticket fare codes and other time wasting crap at the gates and counters. You have two choices: Cattle car or refundable cattle car.

You said a lot, but completely ignored that it still boils down to someone didn't plan ahead at some point.
Yeah, the OP didn't plan ahead. Why doesn't the buck stop with him? A 50 minute delay meant he missed his connection by 10 minutes in SLC in October. He bought a flight with a 40 minute connection at a hub airport. "As a pilot" I understand that things happen and I never plan a connection less than one hour, and I try to get more. If I see a 40 minute connection I skip right by that because "I am, in fact, a pilot" and I know that 40 minutes isn't enough time to connect (or my bags to get transferred) if I'm delayed.

And I'm not defending the airlines at all. I'm not a passenger guy anymore. But, I did just leave 140,000 pounds of freight in Frankfurt last month because after we closed up, we had to have maintenance come back on board to reset a circuit breaker. That caused us to miss the takeoff curfew by two minutes. No waivers... go back to the ramp and try again tomorrow. I fell bad that 140k of packages didn't get where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there, but sometimes things happen and they are out of everybody's control.

And I'm not blaming the OP at all. We've all been there and it sucks. But there's always more going on behind the scenes. When I was a passenger guy, I remember distinctly one time leaving ORD the Captain begging with Zone control to delay the flight to passengers running from the other terminal can make the flight. The answer was "NO. You need to push now." When we were airborne, we phone patched in back to zone to get an answer why. Apparently we had seven Premier passengers on FC tickets to Europe that would mis-connect if we didn't push right then*. That's who the airlines really cater to. Fifteen people have a bad experience on Delta on their once-a-year discount flight to see the mouse in Orlando. Sucks, and sorry. Five Diamond Medallion members who spend hundreds of thousands on dollars on Delta every year miss their connections, and that hurts. In fact, if one of the passengers on the OPs plane was a Diamond, I bet the flight might have been held. There's a whole lot that goes into it, but I know sometimes on here the "airlines are so dumb" rant is popular because we're all pilots and what we do in the Part 91 world translates exactly to the 121 world.

*Next time you're at the airport on a bad delay day, tune into the local Metering, Clearance, Ramp or Ground frequency and you'll hear all the pilots begging to be released so they can get going. All of them asking for earlier slots. You can hear the resignation and frustration in their voices when they are three for takeoff and they have to get out of line to go get more gas. We really are trying to get you to where you're going safely and on time. It's not a big conspiracy theory. Honest.

Do any of us old guys remember way back when airlines had to start reporting late/early departures/arrivals performance?

Did anyone notice that one result was that flight schedules changed forcing more time between flights. On-time performance improved... because the flighttime was lengthened, and listed connections were never had a layover shorter than one hour (anyone remember the book of scheduled flight?).

Sometimes (often) there are unintended consequences to rule changes...

They do plan ahead but it is not practical, or even possible, to plan for perfection. Nobody will pay for it and, even if they did, you still won't achieve it.

A good example of why gate plans don't work is wind. Schedules are built based on seasonal winds aloft but the winds can vary significantly from day to day. If the westerly winds are stronger than normal, the eastbound flights will arrive at the hubs significantly early while the westbound flights will be late. Just the opposite when the usual strong winter winds aren't where they were expected to be. This throws the gate plans into chaos as you have many flights delayed waiting for their airplanes, which are still fighting the unseasonably-strong headwinds while the other half of the flights are arriving so early that there's nowhere to park them. The same effect happens when large storm systems cause extensive re-routes which prevent flights from arriving on-time. In either case, the weather at the hub can be clear and calm while the flight information boards are filled with delayed flights.

You have been saying that the airlines don't care if passengers make their flights. I've been trying to show you that having the passengers, bags, and cargo make their connections is a high priority for the airlines. The airlines dedicate significant resources toward that goal. They have developed data-driven processes to help their personnel make the best decisions in situations where none of the possible decisions are good for everybody. Airlines, airport authorities, and governments are spending billions of dollars to expand the airport infrastructure to meet demand. Nearly every large US airport has large construction projects underway.

Lastly, I think you misunderstand the role of the gate agent. Agents don't have all the information. They are not the experts on connections and don't have the authority to delay a flight to wait for late passengers. Those decisions happen in the station's operations center and are made by people who have significantly more information than the gate agent, or the flight crews, about the connections, re-route options, downline impact of delays, and all the other relevant information.

I know it sucks when you miss your connection. As a commuter, it happens to me with some regularity. (It's really fun when you land in time to make your commute only to find that the gate you're holding for is occupied by your flight home!) You are wrong in thinking that the airlines don't put significant effort into making as many connections as possible.

Yeah, the OP didn't plan ahead. Why doesn't the buck stop with him? A 50 minute delay meant he missed his connection by 10 minutes in SLC in October. He bought a flight with a 40 minute connection at a hub airport. "As a pilot" I understand that things happen and I never plan a connection less than one hour, and I try to get more. If I see a 40 minute connection I skip right by that because "I am, in fact, a pilot" and I know that 40 minutes isn't enough time to connect (or my bags to get transferred) if I'm delayed.

I'm with you on that. In fact when I had to switch airlines in MDW from SWA to DAL to catch and international flight to AMS via DTW I had the option of a 90 minute 'layover' or 6 hours. Guess who slept in the terminal for 4 hours to make sure I didn't miss my flight? On domestic, I always give myself a 90+ minutes, and then ask the gate agent if I can get on the earlier flight once I'm at the hub. Sometimes I get the early flight, sometimes I don't.

And I'm not defending the airlines at all. I'm not a passenger guy anymore. But, I did just leave 140,000 pounds of freight in Frankfurt last month because after we closed up, we had to have maintenance come back on board to reset a circuit breaker. That caused us to miss the takeoff curfew by two minutes. No waivers... go back to the ramp and try again tomorrow. I fell bad that 140k of packages didn't get where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there, but sometimes things happen and they are out of everybody's control.

And I'm not blaming the OP at all. We've all been there and it sucks. But there's always more going on behind the scenes. When I was a passenger guy, I remember distinctly one time leaving ORD the Captain begging with Zone control to delay the flight to passengers running from the other terminal can make the flight. The answer was "NO. You need to push now." When we were airborne, we phone patched in back to zone to get an answer why. Apparently we had seven Premier passengers on FC tickets to Europe that would mis-connect if we didn't push right then*. That's who the airlines really cater to. Fifteen people have a bad experience on Delta on their once-a-year discount flight to see the mouse in Orlando. Sucks, and sorry. Five Diamond Medallion members who spend hundreds of thousands on dollars on Delta every year miss their connections, and that hurts. In fact, if one of the passengers on the OPs plane was a Diamond, I bet the flight might have been held. There's a whole lot that goes into it, but I know sometimes on here the "airlines are so dumb" rant is popular because we're all pilots and what we do in the Part 91 world translates exactly to the 121 world.

*Next time you're at the airport on a bad delay day, tune into the local Metering, Clearance, Ramp or Ground frequency and you'll hear all the pilots begging to be released so they can get going. All of them asking for earlier slots. You can hear the resignation and frustration in their voices when they are three for takeoff and they have to get out of line to go get more gas. We really are trying to get you to where you're going safely and on time. It's not a big conspiracy theory. Honest.
So you’re the reason my Amazon package was late....

I don't see where he said they were 50 minutes delayed. He said they sat on the ramp for 50 minutes. They were probably already late. I rarely book flights where I have to change planes, but the last time I did, the airlines wouldn't even let you book a connection that tight.

Back