GTN750 SAR function.

5QK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
5QK
I was trying to get my gtn750 to display the SAR function as per section 4.2.4 of my manual. I'm running sw ver 6.62.
When I go to the setup screen SAR says LOCKED. It wont unlock. Anyone know what I'm missing?

You're missing section 3.3.4.4. of the GTN-750 installation manual, which warns:

A Search and Rescue Enablement Card (P/N 010-00878-03) is needed for enablement.

I see it for sale for 1.75 AMUs.

HOLY CRAP.
So I volunteer my plane, time gas, etc. etc. to try to help some distressed pilot, parents with lost kids, lost hunters and so on, and Garmin wants me to pay a couple thousand for that PRIVELAGE?
I certainly cant afford that. That makes me sad.

HOLY CRAP.
So I volunteer my plane, time gas, etc. etc. to try to help some distressed pilot, parents with lost kids, lost hunters and so on, and Garmin wants me to pay a couple thousand for that PRIVELAGE?

Then use ForeFlight. It’s only 99!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're missing section 3.3.4.4. of the GTN-750 installation manual, which warns:

A Search and Rescue Enablement Card (P/N 010-00878-03) is needed for enablement.

I see it for sale for 1.75 AMUs.

So what does this SAR function (for 1.75 AMUs) actually do on the GPS navigator?

It enables the insertion of search and rescue search patterns into a flight plan. CAP is probably the main customer although there are others that use it. As an example, you might fly to a point and then begin flying a back and forth search across a grid area. Another pattern would start at a point and fly an expanding square search. Think of it as an expanding spiral but with square sides.

Foreflight has similar functionality, so if you can sync that to your gps, you can get the same outcome.

It is not that difficult to create user waypoints to make a creeping line or expanding square flight plan. Time consuming, perhaps, but not difficult. It is the convenience of the automation for which you are paying. Do you honestly expect them to donate the capability to you, regardless how altruistic your reason?

I guess I forgot what/who I was dealing with. Big G sticking it to the little guy. Grrrrr.

I guess I forgot what/who I was dealing with. Big G sticking it to the little guy. Grrrrr.

Because they do not give you their product for free? :confused:

It is not that difficult to create user waypoints to make a creeping line or expanding square flight plan. Time consuming, perhaps, but not difficult. It is the convenience of the automation for which you are paying. Do you honestly expect them to donate the capability to you, regardless how altruistic your reason?
I agree with your sentiment in general, but on this one I can't. It's a pretty simplistic algorithm that wouldn't take a decent programmer more than a week to develop. Add a few more man weeks to test it out six ways to Sunday and you're still only looking at a cost to Garmin of a few grand. So to charge a customer nearly that much just to use something that's already been created (a feature meant for helping others in need no less) definitely sticks in my craw.

Salty, that's basically my feelings too. It just seems like a feature that at least could be included in a subscription package. 1700 bucks for a simple feature just really surprised me. And the fact that its already in the system, just needs unlocked seems excessive. Oh well, I'm not going to change anyone's mind, I'll just do without as it not that important.
Rant over. Thanks for the space to vent.

CAP is just now getting the SAR cards. I've used Flight Plan Go- similar to ForeFlight, but free.

I haven't tried it yet, but there are SAR patterns in Garmin Pilot. I suspect you can send them to a GTN without the unlock.

Following, because we are looking for a way to load hundreds of waypoints (currently stored as a kmz file) onto our G-1000 for survey flights.
Right now, we have them on a G-396, and manually follow the desired tracks by looking at the tiny aircraft…which leads to an imperfect result.
If they could be in the 1000 db, I’m thinking the cdi would help, maybe even get George involved :)

If there was a non-$1000 method, I’d be interested!

HOLY CRAP.
That is the new business model, watch this creep over into new cars and everything else from construction equipment to farm equipment.

I have seen electronics cost $300K + install labor and are obsolete 5 years later and the new stuff is not a "slide in" replacement but rather 2+ weeks downtime and another $300K to upgrade.

That all being said, the Garmin G5 electronic flight display software upgrades have all been free so far. The software upgrades for the other garmin avionics are free to dealers who can charge labor if desired. Wait till the whole shebang is download key via $75 charge or something. And that will be $75 per software version, so if you have a GTN, GTX, and a couple displays like two G500Txi and a Flight Stream 510 that could be $300 in download keys.

Last edited:
just for reference, I saw an offer of SAR option activation in G1000 for $550

Back