First Solo

mlemo18

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mlemo18
So I'm not one to normally post on forums, but my wife and friends cant relate to my excitement, so here I am. I did my first solo yesterday afternoon and it was completely unexpected. My instructor thought I was ready 2 lessons ago, but my confidence was not there yet. Yesterday, he said the weather was too good to pass up and made me drop him off at the FBO after a couple trips around the pattern.

I was a nervous wreck when taxiing, but amazingly all that went away the second I pulled onto the runway. Everything felt fairly natural at that point and it ended up being 3 of my best landings yet. I now see the purpose of that initial solo. I was having a confidence problem after fighting crosswind landings. I know there is still a ton to learn but this lesson brought back all the excitement I had prior to my first flight and now I'm ready take on the rest of the training.

Special thanks to so many on here to gave tips on landings while I was lurking and reading!

584B07C8-1E99-4D09-9E17-91B4195F1BA0.jpeg
Congrats, I did mine last month... The Solo Cross Country is way better so look forward to that

Last edited:
Congratulations! Enjoy your new found freedom.

Congrats! That is a huge milestone, and one you'll never forget. As someone else posted, the first cross-country solo is even more rewarding...at least that's how I felt!

Congratulations! I will be doing mine as soon as I get my medical signed off. I hope my instructor surprises me too. I don't want to have to try to sleep the night before knowing it is coming up :)

Congratulations! And what a way to start here on POA with your FIRST message your successful SOLO! Good job!:):)

Thanks for all of the support. While knowing I can land a plane by myself is gratifying, I'm am certainly looking forward to the cross countries. Let's face it, that first solo is a huge accomplishment, but I'm learning to fly to go places.

So I'm not one to normally post on forums, but my wife and friends cant relate to my excitement, so here I am. I did my first solo yesterday afternoon and it was completely unexpected. My instructor thought I was ready 2 lessons ago, but my confidence was not there yet. Yesterday, he said the weather was too good to pass up and made me drop him off at the FBO after a couple trips around the pattern.

I was a nervous wreck when taxiing, but amazingly all that went away the second I pulled onto the runway. Everything felt fairly natural at that point and it ended up being 3 of my best landings yet. I now see the purpose of that initial solo. I was having a confidence problem after fighting crosswind landings. I know there is still a ton to learn but this lesson brought back all the excitement I had prior to my first flight and now I'm ready take on the rest of the training.

Special thanks to so many on here to gave tips on landings while I was lurking and reading!
I can relate to your post. I did my solo 5 years ago now. Didn't know any pilots or anyone in Aviation outside of my instructor.

I remember it surprisingly being very quiet and peaceful without the instructor there to impress.

Congratulations! What a great feeling!

Congratulations!! Now put this in your calendar as you'll remember this day going forward! You are no longer ground-bound - you have been given the (mostly) free reigns to bore holes in the sky!

As I'm sure you will, I still remember my solo clearly. My instructor got out and told me to do three flights of the pattern and to make them good. I recall applying power, taking off and WHOA... the plane climbed like... well, a homesick angel. (overused phrase but appropriate.) I had to talk to myself and repeat all the steps I would normally call out for my CFI that first time around the pattern. By the third time, it was really enjoyable... except I went around thinking it wasn't a perfect landing (my CFI thought it was fine and wondered why I was going around), and the fact that I forgot to stop at the ramp and pick up my CFI (oops.) Still a fond memory... :) I'm sure yours will be for a very long time! :D

What I recall clearest was after the solo I was a pilot. I couldn't carry a passenger, but I could pretty much fly when and where I wanted (yes I had to get a CFI to sign off on it, but that wasn't much fo a deal). Keep flying often and get 'er done!

Congrats amigo!!! Wait till your first XC Solo... that will feel awesome as well :)

Congrats, amazing how much better the plane flies without the extra weight sitting next to you.

Congratulations! I still remember my solo. The little C152 flew completely differently without the CFI in the right seat. Landings were, ah, ... adequate. The adrenaline dump after made me stupid, and rather than park the plane I abandoned it on the taxiway and pushed it into its space.

Ditto on the solo XC. I agree it's more fun.

Now that you are signed off to solo--FLY A LOT.

The adrenaline dump after made me stupid, and rather than park the plane I abandoned it on the taxiway and pushed it into its space

Haha yeah I remember that post-solo-mind-numbing. I'm surprised I was able to drive the 30 minutes back to my house without hitting anything. Brain was like jelly.

Good on you:thumbsup:.

I sort of consider I have had two first solos. The first "real" one over 50 years ago and the second one about ten years ago after not flying for many years. Don't let that happen to you:smilewinkgrin:

Cheers

Excellent!

Back