Airplane books for young children (~6 years old) recommendations?

Stan Cooper

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Stan Cooper
My 6 year old great nephew's school (now meeting virtually) is participating in a "Whooo's Reading" project and my niece asked me to recommend a book. I don't have a clue, but somebody here must have young kids and can recommend a suitable aviation theme book.

Help! TIA

My 6 year old great nephew's school (now meeting virtually) is participating in a "Whooo's Reading" project and my niece asked me to recommend a book. I don't have a clue, but somebody here must have young kids and can recommend a suitable aviation theme book.

Help! TIA
Not sure if there’s a book on it, but my son loved Dusty Crophopper from the “Planes” animated movie series when he was 4-5 years old.

Of course in the interest of full disclosure, his dad did too...:D

Snapshot Picture Library: Airplanes, Weldon Owen.
Planes, Byron Barton.
The Little Airplane, Lois Lenski.

Old copies of Jane's All the World's Aircraft can also be had for reasonable sums on ebay. For the children, of course.

When I was 6, there was Flying, AOPA Pilot, and the OX5 News. Which I read several times between issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/My-First-Book-Of-Airplanes-/293534448575

Go for an older book!

This book is an absolute delight. Maybe written a bit more for a 9-10-year-old, but that kid would be ready to join Strategic Bomber Command after digesting what this book covers.

Also, Flight of the Fox is The Mouse and the Motorcycle, but with a kangaroo rat and an old Fairy Fox C/L model.

I read Chuck Yeager’s autobiography when I was 8 and did a book report on it. I’d say that was a little mature for a 6 year old. 8, much more acceptable.

Back