That’s a Zeppelin, not a Blimp!

Did you get a ride?
I really want an airship in my logbook but there doesn't seem to be a way to make that happen easily.

Really cool!
Did they hover-taxi similar to a helicopter?
I saw blimps many times at N51 (in NJ) but they just did an approach to their parking spot. N51 is smaller than the airport than the airport in your images.

You’re having too much fun while at ‘work’, Dave! ;)

Awesome!

Really cool!
Did they hover-taxi similar to a helicopter?
I saw blimps many times at N51 (in NJ) but they just did an approach to their parking spot. N51 is smaller than the airport than the airport in your images.

The two main engines rotate on their axis, and the tail had one prop vertical and one horizontal. They were amazingly maneuverable.

They talk about the last of the "blimps" i.e. a non-rigid airship but now the new ones are a semi-rigid airship. Cost? Video says around 20 million. So for anyone that has a few moments:

Amazing that the Zeppelin company is still in business after all this time!

Not really. The company was dormant for 40+ years and was re-established in the late 80s using some restricted trust money left over from the original company and some state government funding. The continuity is in the concept and the location, not really the business itself.

Last edited:
I think I know the pilot who was in the left seat, and decent chance I know of the one in the right seat. The Zeppelin NT's are neat, I've been in one, just not while it was flying.

I see he has a very “Dale Earnhardt” approach to shoulder harnesses.

Back