[NA]Outdoor electrical outlets for home[NA]

The one I have in back has tabs to break out for power-cord routing when the cover is closed. The one I have in front has a removable slide out side that creates an opening.

When I moved into the current house, I had the electrician re-wire the garage to give me a dedicated circuit for the freezer and keep the other circuits on the loop protected by a GFCI outlet.
I did the same thing except I was far too cheap to hire an electrician so I did it myself. We ended up with an extra fridge when we moved in so we put the spare fridge out in the garage as an adult beverage fridge/extra freezer. The previous owners clearly had not done this because the fridge popped the GFCI regularly.

I got lucky in that the fridge was plugged into the first outlet box on the circuit. So I changed out the GFCI breaker for a normal one, then I wired a GFCI outlet into the 2nd box in the circuit. Is it legal? Probably not, but it works and provides most of the same protection the law intended.

Any preference on exterior gfci duplex receptacle, any improved models or features to seek?
20A circuit but non-dedicated (awg12)

Any preference on exterior gfci duplex receptacle, any improved models or features to seek?
20A circuit but non-dedicated (awg12)
I think Lutron, and others, has a “weather resistant “ model with stainless steel parts. Condensation, heat, cold, spiders, whatever, will take a toll on anything though.

The words you are looking for are "in use covers" which are receptacle covers that remain weather resistant even when something is plugged into them (as opposed to the old style simple flaps that cover the holes). In use covers have been required by the code for over a decade now. They come in a couple of forms, the large plastic or metal hood is one. My favorite (though they tend not to last too long) are the ones that have a bellows to allow them to press flat(er) against the box when not in use but expand out when you need to plug something in.

I did the same thing except I was far too cheap to hire an electrician so I did it myself. We ended up with an extra fridge when we moved in so we put the spare fridge out in the garage as an adult beverage fridge/extra freezer. The previous owners clearly had not done this because the fridge popped the GFCI regularly.

I got lucky in that the fridge was plugged into the first outlet box on the circuit. So I changed out the GFCI breaker for a normal one, then I wired a GFCI outlet into the 2nd box in the circuit. Is it legal? Probably not, but it works and provides most of the same protection the law intended.

its possible the code has changed since I last did electrical for a living, but at that time the only thing wrong with it is the fridge should be on its own circuit. If you’re not having issues with it kicking, it’s plenty safe.

Back