Thinking about a Ford Ranger

Almost two years into ownership. I love this truck! It's a beast. I added a few sets of lights, did a small levelling kit and put some bigger tires on, also a undercoat to survive these hard wisconsin winters. I get 23mpg in an overlanding off-road tough towing truck. I couldn't ask for more.

PXL_20201021_105134070.jpg PXL_20201022_134342049.jpg IMG_20191020_122017.jpg

Indeed, and when it comes to Chrysler products, better you than me, my friend.

I'll second that motion. For a number of years I owned MOPAR (My Old Plymouth Ain't Runnin') products and worked for a company that furnished us with a new Dodge vehicle every three years or 90,000 miles. Seems the electrical problems were the biggest headaches.

I own an older Ford Ranger with the 4 banger & a five speed, theft deterrent, manual transmission. Just rolled over 200K and it still runs very well and all the items (including dealer installed cruise) still work.

For heavier towing I have a GMC Safari (Chevy Astro) that is rated to tow over 2-1/2 tons. I drive a GM product at my current work and I much prefer the way it rides over the Ford or any Mopar product I've ever owned.

I've had good service from GM & excellent service from Ford but I'm gonna dodge (pun intended) the Chrysler products ...

Love your Ranger! Love the color and the mods! I really like what was done with the Ranger and considered one, but my Dora (the Explorer) keeps on running beautifully with 282,000 miles thus far. I have a 2019 Genesis G70 (beautiful car, pretty darned fast) but I find that I drive Dora about 99% of the time as my "go-to" vehicle. I'm sure your Ranger is the same!
IMG_4773.jpeg

Love your Ranger! Love the color and the mods! I really like what was done with the Ranger and considered one, but my Dora (the Explorer) keeps on running beautifully with 282,000 miles thus far. I have a 2019 Genesis G70 (beautiful car, pretty darned fast) but I find that I drive Dora about 99% of the time as my "go-to" vehicle. I'm sure your Ranger is the same!
View attachment 91221

I think you need another bicycle lol!!!

Selling my '08 Lariat today after 161K flawless miles. Don't have a single complaint, she was as solid as you could ask for and still shines up pretty well for an almost 13-yr old daily driver.

121968184_10109517046404607_9011407237437526174_n.jpg

I'm looking hard at a Ranger for my next vehicle here in a few months. Its roughly the same size as an F-150, better mileage, cheaper to get a similar interior quality, will tow what I need (small skiff), and can fit a motorcycle in the bed with the tailgate down (tightly I grant).

To jump back a bit to the demise of the manual trans, I agree its sad to see it not be an option, but reality is people don't buy them (as someone who owns a 3 year old vehicle with a manual), the mpg difference is now in favor of autos, and there can be some emissions gains with autos too.

A greater death, in my opinion, is bench seats in trucks. It's pure nostalgia, and not practical but I still mourn the loss.

I'm looking hard at a Ranger for my next vehicle here in a few months. Its roughly the same size as an F-150, better mileage, cheaper to get a similar interior quality, will tow what I need (small skiff), and can fit a motorcycle in the bed with the tailgate down (tightly I grant).

To jump back a bit to the demise of the manual trans, I agree its sad to see it not be an option, but reality is people don't buy them (as someone who owns a 3 year old vehicle with a manual), the mpg difference is now in favor of autos, and there can be some emissions gains with autos too.

A greater death, in my opinion, is bench seats in trucks. It's pure nostalgia, and not practical but I still mourn the loss.

It may seem that way because the "mid-size" trucks have gotten larger, but the full-size trucks are quite a bit larger inside and outside. SuperCrew vs Supercrew, the front shoulder room of the F-150 is 10" wider, hip room is 7" wider. Second row leg room is 13" greater (that's not a typo). Second row hip/shoulder room is about 10" wider. Outside dimensions are about 9" wider and 21" longer in the F-150. None of that is to say that the Ranger is an inferior vehicle, just that they really are pretty far apart in dimensions (and capability). That said, 75% of full-size truck owners would probably be better-suited to drive a mid-size truck, but we Americans like our big vehicles, lol.

It may seem that way because the "mid-size" trucks have gotten larger, but the full-size trucks are quite a bit larger inside and outside. SuperCrew vs Supercrew, the front shoulder room of the F-150 is 10" wider, hip room is 7" wider. Second row leg room is 13" greater (that's not a typo). Second row hip/shoulder room is about 10" wider. Outside dimensions are about 9" wider and 21" longer in the F-150. None of that is to say that the Ranger is an inferior vehicle, just that they really are pretty far apart in dimensions (and capability). That said, 75% of full-size truck owners would probably be better-suited to drive a mid-size truck, but we Americans like our big vehicles, lol.

I agree that I may have been generous with "roughly" and the added size is certainly felt and noticeable for the passengers and driving in town. My baseline though is the previous generation Ranger, which really was a completely different size critter.

I've no delusions I need the bigger truck

I think midsized trucks would be a lot more popular if they put the same effort into them as the full size trucks. The F150 and Silverado are so far ahead of their mid sized siblings for not a whole lot more money. That’s also the same reason mid sized trucks died off. All the development went into the full size trucks while the compact ones faded away.

Almost two years into ownership. I love this truck! It's a beast. I added a few sets of lights, did a small levelling kit and put some bigger tires on, also a undercoat to survive these hard wisconsin winters. I get 23mpg in an overlanding off-road tough towing truck. I couldn't ask for more.

View attachment 91216 View attachment 91217 View attachment 91218
Cool. You have me wondering how many pilots here on the forum are also into Overlanding rigs. I'm slowly starting to dabble with the 4Runner (lift, wheels, tires). Thinking hidden front bumper with winch and a Gobi or Prinsu rack. Love the idea of a RTT but just not sure if thats me or not. I think @WannFly might do even more to his Mopar.

Cool. You have me wondering how many pilots here on the forum are also into Overlanding rigs. I'm slowly starting to dabble with the 4Runner (lift, wheels, tires). Thinking hidden front bumper with winch and a Gobi or Prinsu rack. Love the idea of a RTT but just not sure if thats me or not. I think @WannFly might do even more to his Mopar.

Love the RTT! Had been looking at them for probably 15 years, when they were mainly Australian export and finally bought one last year.

Lives on the Tundra, and we've got a couple of rolling Husky tool boxes full of gear that are always packed and ready to slide into the bed and go.

Between BLM and national forests, we have plenty of offroad mountain ridges to park on without needing any flat space to clear cacti and rocks away for a tent. We rarely stay in an official campground.

Ebay / Craigslist have many "Only used once" for sale (where I bought mine) so the experience is not universal.

i am slowly getting into this rabbit hole of overlanding and right now running in full circles with where to start... pretty much everything is connected.
so i start with a lift kit so that i can fit 35" KO2? and then put a RTT on a bed rack. but wait, will it still fit in the garage.
ok lights and accessories and winch.. may be a fridge ... so may be i should put a deep cycle battery.. so may be i should start from there...

man so many decisions and not to mention another money pit lol.

o well, i am gonna go now and bore holes in the sky

i am slowly getting into this rabbit hole of overlanding and right now running in full circles with where to start... pretty much everything is connected.
so i start with a lift kit so that i can fit 35" KO2? and then put a RTT on a bed rack. but wait, will it still fit in the garage.
ok lights and accessories and winch.. may be a fridge ... so may be i should put a deep cycle battery.. so may be i should start from there...

Just picked this one up a few weeks back near Oshkosh. Not going overland with it, but it's a popular platform for the overlanding crews. Throw on the roof rack/RTT and some light bars/M/T tires and they are pretty beastly off-road. It's not for rock-climbing and narrow trails like a Jeep would excel at, but it'll haul a ton of stuff!

upload_2020-10-23_14-22-35.png

Yeah but compared to airplanes it's super cheap! :D. I'm not going too crazy with my Ranger. I got warned by a coworker not to go too nuts because he has a taco with about 400lbs of steel armor and 35's... It's his daily and he's mad that it gets like 11mpg... so I'm keeping my daily nice and light. Improving the stance and capability... but still light.

I picked up a Thule adjustable rack. Not the sleekest looking product, but can raise it high enough to see out the back window and/or load stuff in the bed, or drop it down to cut down on wind resistance (and fit in the garage.)

img_20130727_181120_0104ddaf10e0d5e4e2467ea9512af9594b9c0f99-jpg.2270138

Yeah but compared to airplanes it's super cheap! :D. I'm not going too crazy with my Ranger. I got warned by a coworker not to go too nuts because he has a taco with about 400lbs of steel armor and 35's... It's his daily and he's mad that it gets like 11mpg... so I'm keeping my daily nice and light. Improving the stance and capability... but still light.

I couldn’t believe myself the other day sitting and doing W&B for my truck. Like seriously? After I added what I think I need, my calculations came out me standing outside and admiring the rig because it’s so overweight. Lol.

I picked up a Thule adjustable rack. Not the sleekest looking product, but can raise it high enough to see out the back window and/or load stuff in the bed, or drop it down to cut down on wind resistance (and fit in the garage.)

img_20130727_181120_0104ddaf10e0d5e4e2467ea9512af9594b9c0f99-jpg.2270138

How hard is it to raise with the RTT on? I am looking for something similar if it’s has a gas strut, else I am doing RCI 12 inch bed rack

Me: 11 mpg? I’m used to single digits now.

I think you need another bicycle lol!!!

LOL, you did't see my folding eBike in the corner of the photo, or the Jupiter Bike (other folding eBike) at the hangar. As for motorcycles/scooters... I've had those too. Just gave up riding a motorcycle in Southern California as "cagers" really seem like they're out to kill you! So I got into aviation instead. :p

Here are a few of the motorcycles/scooters I've had (not all)...

IMG_4864.jpeg IMG_2528.jpeg IMG_3760-3.jpeg DSC04840 - small-3.jpeg

How hard is it to raise with the RTT on? I am looking for something similar if it’s has a gas strut, else I am doing RCI 12 inch bed rack

RTT weighs 200 pounds.

I don’t move it often. Have done it solo, push up on one side, lock it, and go to the other. Not ideal but it works.

Much easier with someone on each corner.

At least I have an option to have TSC fork truck a half ton of wood stove pellets on a skid in the back. Can’t do that with the fixed rack. Still have the option to use my truck as a truck if needed without getting out the wrenches and taking the tent and rack off.

RTT weighs 200 pounds.

I don’t move it often. Have done it solo, push up on one side, lock it, and go to the other. Not ideal but it works.

Much easier with someone on each corner.

At least I have an option to have TSC fork truck a half ton of wood stove pellets on a skid in the back. Can’t do that with the fixed rack. Still have the option to use my truck as a truck if needed without getting out the wrenches and taking the tent and rack off.

I have seen some people lift the entire rack or just the RTT hang from the garage ceiling with a home grown pulley system. Might go that route, if I can decide on what RTT to get in the first place

I have seen some people lift the entire rack or just the RTT hang from the garage ceiling with a home grown pulley system. Might go that route, if I can decide on what RTT to get in the first place

Went with a Tepui, since I can zip off the canopies and swap them out with the seasons.

Have an all-mesh, a 3 season and a 4 season tent for the same base.

Picked up almost all of it on Craigslist or clearance.

Also went with the “ruggedized” option, which has a heavier duty frame, and diamond plate floor vs sheet metal. Can walk on it when it’s folded and stowed on the truck.

Just picked this one up a few weeks back near Oshkosh. Not going overland with it, but it's a popular platform for the overlanding crews. Throw on the roof rack/RTT and some light bars/M/T tires and they are pretty beastly off-road. It's not for rock-climbing and narrow trails like a Jeep would excel at, but it'll haul a ton of stuff!

View attachment 91228
Why not sleep in it!

I used to always sleep in the suburban when going diving/camping. Excursion should be the same.

Why not sleep in it!

I used to always sleep in the suburban when going diving/camping. Excursion should be the same.

I have heard that it will fit a full size mattress in the back with the 3rd row out. It's certainly got the space to pack whatever you need to bring out into the wilderness. There have been some pretty cool custom rigs with roof racks/ladders/etc. It's got a 44gal tank on board, so you can do quite a bit of exploring before having to find a gas station (or diesel station in my case). I made it from Oshkosh to Overland Park, KS (SW Kansas City) on just over 3/4 tank of diesel. I didn't know how much I could trust the fuel gauge or the distance-to-empty calculator, so I filled up at KC and found a hotel for the night. I contemplated sleeping in the Excursion, but since I had about a half-million Hilton hotel points, I figured I'd find a real bed since it didn't cost me anything!

Example of an overland build in progress:
923vxoD.jpg

Back