Student Pilot License Question

Eric Greschner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eg2222
So I'm confident I'm missing an important step....just need a little help identifying what that step is! I've set out on a mission to get my PPL. I decided to knock out the FAA written exam before starting my lessons (so once I start flying I can concentrate on that portion) so I've been studying for the FAA written exam through King Schools online training and have completed the course and have been taking practice tests daily passing with ease every time. I'm very confident I can pass the test as soon as I schedule to take it. I've gone ahead and done my 3rd Class Medical Exam and have my Medical Certificate in hand. I applied for my Student Pilot License on the FAA website and have a FTN number. Here is where I am a bit confused on my next step....the application for the Student Pilot license shows up in my portal but the status is "Partially Complete - Ready for Next Action" and has been that way for over a month. What is the "Next Action" for getting my license issued? I look at it and don't get what I'm supposed to do for the "Next Action". Any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated....with all I've done already I feel a little silly being stumped on this one...lol. Thanks all!

Nevermind. I need to read more before posting. What dmspilot says below.

You need an instructor to complete the application.

You need an instructor to complete the application.

Thank you dmspilot. Just to clarify, at this point once I select an instructor, that individual would go into the application and complete some portion that will then result in the Student Pilot License being issued? Am I reading into that correctly? Thanks for your assistance!

Thank you dmspilot. Just to clarify, at this point once I select an instructor, that individual would go into the application and complete some portion that will then result in the Student Pilot License being issued? Am I reading into that correctly? Thanks for your assistance!

Any instructor can do it as well as I believe a DPE or FAA inspector. They must certify your identity, sign it, and then you sign it, and then it is sent to the FAA for processing.

Since the question has been answered....

More pressing question is ....

Certificate or license ?

Since the question has been answered....

More pressing question is ....

Certificate or license ?

I'm sticking with license since a certificate is usually larger and is designed for framing. My pilot's license is the same size as my driver's license. Plus you never hear, "He's a certificated pilot."

If you haven't picked a flight school yet, you can contact a local FSDO and they can verify you as well.

I'm sticking with license since a certificate is usually larger and is designed for framing. My pilot's license is the same size as my driver's license. Plus you never hear, "He's a certificated pilot."

My dive certification is a driver's-license size card.

Just checked the thesaurus. Turns out I've got a self-determination diving card and a carte blanche student pilot card. Hope to have an unconstrained pilot card some day.

My FAA medical is not much larger than my driver's license, so should I call it a medical license?

Thank God that the FAA is protecting us from spam-bots and wooden puppets that are trying to obtain student pilot certificates by making sure that the applicant is a real person.

I decided to knock out the FAA written exam before starting my lessons (so once I start flying I can concentrate on that portion) so I've been studying for the FAA written exam through King Schools online training and have completed the course and have been taking practice tests daily passing with ease every time.
I'm glad you are fired up and highly energized about all of this, Eric. As a general suggestion, though, I would recommend to have some overlap of studying for the knowledge test and flight training. Having some real-life exposure to the many topics the knowledge test asks about will provide a much deeper understanding of the material. And while I'm sure you can ace the multiple choice questions on the knowledge test, when you get to the oral portion of the practical test for your private pilot certificate, you'll have to demonstrate real understanding of the subject matter to the examiner.

So I don't think there's any harm with what you're doing, but I would expect you can't just call the ground school "done" and focus exclusively on flying from here on. You'll have to revisit the material before the checkride. And probably many times after that - flying means life-long learning.

All the best for your training - you are at the beginning of a very exciting journey!

- Martin

Back