Sports Flyovers

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Politics aside, Mover gives an explanation of the funding for these flights. Summation, with or without flyovers, the money is already budgeted.

Three things I’d add. Pilots are barely making mins there days so they will take any training they can get. I’d be willing to bet they aren’t even coming close to their allotted FHP hours. Just like GA aircraft, it ain’t good for the aircraft to sit on the ramp.

Last edited:
Commentary by those who don’t understand how DoD comes up with cost per flight hour numbers really ****es me off.

I’ll just say this; if you’re going to offer an opinion on a .gov accounting trick, you better be ready to offer an opinion on every .gov expenditure.

Other than that, just another reason why I don’t pay attention to amateurs offering their opinions on stuff they know nothing about.

Commentary by those who don’t understand how DoD comes up with cost per flight hour numbers really ****es me off.

I’ll just say this; if you’re going to offer an opinion on a .gov accounting trick, you better be ready to offer an opinion on every .gov expenditure.

Other than that, just another reason why I don’t pay attention to amateurs offering their opinions on stuff they know nothing about.

A lot of the comments I’ve read on FB were from people who are just clueless on training flights in general. They want the hours to go for training for combat only. Well the majority of the hours do but that doesn’t do anything for preparing a pilot to fly in the NAS. I spent probably a couple thousand hours training in SUA and you get proficient but then you do an IFR XC and don’t know what a GCO is. Or you call FSS at a towered field to close out your IFR flight plan.:confused: Or like some of the guys I trained would ask “why did you call approach enroute for VFR? What’s flight following?” A simple flyover or even a static display always allow important learning opportunities in the NAS even if it’s not honing combat skills. Just the formation aspect and time on target could be chalked up to good training.

The hours are allotted the year prior and in my experience, we never even came close to that number. Maintenance, weather, lack of customer support or generally, too much planning for too little flying kept us well below the number. We left a lot of hours on the table.

Last edited:
The NFL continues to defiantly flip the middle finger to those who fund it, and those comments sounded like they were being read badly straight off of a script. Sad.
But to the point, everyone with a voice on social media thinks they’re an expert and since they pay taxes they should have oversight on how every dollar should be spent. But what they choose to protest shows that their interest is driven by politics and not facts. There’s an absurd amount of money being wasted by the military, fly-bys don’t even make the list. I’ve been a part of several fly-bys. They are a fun challenge and certainly not a waste of flight hours IMO.

Back