Garmin 175 install cost?

jmarine225

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jmarine225
Anyone have an idea on the cost of a Garmin 175 gps install? I already have a cdi which should be good. Currently an old king vfr gps is installed. I’m in northeast pa also if that helps. Looking to make the upgrade.

Around 7.5K installed.
That is so insanely cheap a way to get into IFR-certified RNAV (the installed cost is than buying an ancient used 430W was a couple of years ago, before installation). I don't think any other avionics manufacturer has come up with an answer to it yet.

I won't say I regret paying so much more to have a GTN 650 and GTX 345 installed 3 years ago, because they were the best options available at the time, but if I were doing it now I'd just slide a GNX 375 (the 175 + ADS-B transponder) into my transponder slot and save about 10 AMUs.

A1Topgun said: Around 7.5K installed.

I won't say I regret paying so much more to have a GTN 650 and GTX 345 installed 3 years ago, because they were the best options available at the time, but if I were doing it now I'd just slide a GNX 375 (the 175 + ADS-B transponder) into my transponder slot and save about 10 AMUs.

A) I also purchased a GTN650/GTX345 combo; about 4 years ago.
B) I don't blame you, and I probably would have done the same, but the math really isn't as painful as it was suggested in your reply. It might be around $7.5k for a Garmin GPS 175 installed but that's just the cost of the GNX375 alone not including installation, and you're still short a nav/com radio with that. I personally favor the GNC255 which is not an inexpensive radio, nor is it integrated in such a streamlined fashion as it is on the GTN650 (i.e. loading LOC frequencies when loading approaches and such.) So after you add it all up and wire it all in, I think an apples to apples comparison puts it a lot closer to a couple of AMUs rather than 10, and honestly they're still not equivalent installations. The 650/345 combo is superior.

Then again, I did really well at the time. I traded in a KX-155 at a fairly high value, plus I got a great deal on my GTN650 (it was "used," went in new on another customer's aircraft, he looked at it once and decided he wanted a 750 instead, it became mine.) The 345 wasn't cheap but it's hard to justify leaving the Garmin ecosystem for a slightly lesser unit like the Lynx or Stratus ESG. The GTX345 was and still is the Ferrari of standalone ADS-B Out transponders (with a price tag to match), they'll have a long product lifespan.

Ended up with a bigger display, a great unit, and I've been in the game with all of those capabilities for a few years prior to the launch of the GNX 375. Overall I consider it a win for the 650/345 decision back in '16.

A) I also purchased a GTN650/GTX345 combo; about 4 years ago.
B) I don't blame you, and I probably would have done the same, but the math really isn't as painful as it was suggested in your reply. It might be around $7.5k for a Garmin GPS 175 installed but that's just the cost of the GNX375 alone not including installation, and you're still short a nav/com radio with that. I personally favor the GNC255 which is not an inexpensive radio, nor is it integrated in such a streamlined fashion as it is on the GTN650 (i.e. loading LOC frequencies when loading approaches and such.) So after you add it all up and wire it all in, I think an apples to apples comparison puts it a lot closer to a couple of AMUs rather than 10, and honestly they're still not equivalent installations. The 650/345 combo is superior.

Then again, I did really well at the time. I traded in a KX-155 at a fairly high value, plus I got a great deal on my GTN650 (it was "used," went in new on another customer's aircraft, he looked at it once and decided he wanted a 750 instead, it became mine.) The 345 wasn't cheap but it's hard to justify leaving the Garmin ecosystem for a slightly lesser unit like the Lynx or Stratus ESG. The GTX345 was and still is the Ferrari of standalone ADS-B Out transponders (with a price tag to match), they'll have a long product lifespan.

Ended up with a bigger display, a great unit, and I've been in the game with all of those capabilities for a few years prior to the launch of the GNX 375. Overall I consider it a win for the 650/345 decision back in '16.
The thing is, I would have kept both of my existing navcom radios, and just put the GNX375 into the transponder slot. Or even disposed of one of the two navcom radios, still, because we don't really need two any more (I'm not taking cross fixes on radials from two VORs, and I have a portable radio as backup, and I still have my ADF as a last-ditch nav backup in the unlikely event that my KX-155 failed at the same moment as a nationwide GPS outage while I was in low IMC).

Also, the GPS 175 and GNX 375 have built-in bluetooth, and don't require the FS 510 to sync flight plans with my tablet (a further 1.5 AMU saving, if I had gone for that). No point crying over spilled milk, though; like you, I do have a nice panel now, and the GTX 345 is the first transponder I would ever have characterised as "fun".

Also, the GPS 175 and GNX 375 have built-in bluetooth, and don't require the FS 510 to sync flight plans with my tablet (a further 1.5 AMU saving, if I had gone for that). No point crying over spilled milk, though; like you, I do have a nice panel now, and the GTX 345 is the first transponder I would ever have characterised as "fun".

Fair point! Like you, I purchased the FS510 with no regrets. Awesome enhancement.

We've been enjoying this featureset for years, and that's a real point to consider in terms of value.

Fair point! Like you, I purchased the FS510 with no regrets. Awesome enhancement.

We've been enjoying this featureset for years, and that's a real point to consider in terms of value.
Just so. And a really nice point for me was that just a few months after I bought my GTN 650, my home airport surprised me by setting up two RNAV approaches (our first instrument approach procedures). I couldn't have been more excited to have both the new equipment and a way to land in low weather without SVFR across from a VOR approach on the other side of the river.

To get the most out of a potential GPS-175 install I’d think you’d need a G-5 partner? Gets you into the LPV world available at many airports. That was my thinking, realizing ‘panel creep’ easily ramps up($$) as one considers more capable alternatives.

My radios were/are doing fine, I was also over-do for a new 406 ELT to be wired in. I went with the 175 & dual G-5s while the plane was in for annual. When I need more I can easily supplement with Garmin Pilot, an IPad mini, and the GDL-50.

I may not win ‘best panel’ at Oshkosh next Summer, but with $$ factored in I’m very satisfied.

To get the most out of a potential GPS-175 install I’d think you’d need a G-5 partner? Gets you into the LPV world available at many airports.
Sounds fun, but not strictly a requirement — you can fly an LPV approach with your mechanical CDI just like you do with an ILS.

Sounds fun, but not strictly a requirement — you can fly an LPV approach with your mechanical CDI just like you do with an ILS.

Thats what I understood as well. I have my eye on the 355, but I plan on keeping my KI209 for now. I can install a switch to toggle between the GPS and my KX155

Thats what I understood as well. I have my eye on the 355, but I plan on keeping my KI209 for now. I can install a switch to toggle between the GPS and my KX155

You can, but it says a lot easier than it does. You have about 14 or so wires you need to switch, and switching relays aren't cheap, or if your airplane is 14v even available. I just kept a dedicated HSI for the 175, and a separate OBS w g/s for the nav.

I have my eye on the 355, but I plan on keeping my KI209 for now. I can install a switch to toggle between the GPS and my KX155
You have about 14 or so wires you need to switch, and switching relays aren't cheap
I wonder what is the price difference if one were to sell the KI209 and buy the CDI version of the GI275.

The 345 wasn't cheap but it's hard to justify leaving the Garmin ecosystem for a slightly lesser unit like the Lynx or Stratus ESG. The GTX345 was and still is the Ferrari of standalone ADS-B Out transponders (with a price tag to match), they'll have a long product.

Curious, with the price drop on the Lynx so that it's comparable to the 345, what makes the 345 superior? Seems like, on paper, it has more features. Namely,, I like the screen on the Lynx.

I recognize that other garmin products don't play well with it. Garmins walled garden is quite enticing.

You can, but it says a lot easier than it does. You have about 14 or so wires you need to switch, and switching relays aren't cheap, or if your airplane is 14v even available. I just kept a dedicated HSI for the 175, and a separate OBS w g/s for the nav.

For me, its not so much about the convenience of already having the KI209 installed, its about the space. My bonanza has the old panel layout. I only have room for 1 CDI. I would rather have separate CDIs for the GPS and KX155, but I just dont have room for another hole.

For me, its not so much about the convenience of already having the KI209 installed, its about the space. My bonanza has the old panel layout. I only have room for 1 CDI. I would rather have separate CDIs for the GPS and KX155, but I just dont have room for another hole.

If your Bo is 28v, then it's a lot easier to find the switching relays and annunciator, so that's in your favor. But if you have to pay for labor, it's nearly a wash with just going ahead and buying a GTN. 'Course judging from your handle, my guess is you'll be doing the install.

If your Bo is 28v, then it's a lot easier to find the switching relays and annunciator, so that's in your favor. But if you have to pay for labor, it's nearly a wash with just going ahead and buying a GTN. 'Course judging from your handle, my guess is you'll be doing the install.

my bo is 14vdc, but I have found the switching relay I need. The GTN would be a great solution but I’m already going to be stretching for the GNC355. And unfortunately, my wrenching experience is on motorcycles, not airplanes. I’m hoping to find an A&P who will let me tinker under his watchful eye...

And I'm reasonably certain that the old KI-209 won't work as a CDI for the GPS 175 in any case. For RNAV, @Wrench978 will have to install a newer CDI, either a mechanical one like the Garmin GI-106 or MidContinent MD200, or a virtual/glass one like the G5 or GI-275 (the AV-30, sadly, doesn't qualify).

And I'm reasonably certain that the old KI-209 won't work as a CDI for the GPS 175 in any case. For RNAV, @Wrench978 will have to install a newer CDI, either a mechanical one like the Garmin GI-106 or MidContinent MD200, or a virtual/glass one like the G5 or GI-275 (the AV-30, sadly, doesn't qualify).

My IM shows an interconnect for a KI 209A.

I stand corrected, then. Perhaps it's just not legal for IFR if it doesn't annunciate whether it's in RNAV or VLOC mode. Or perhaps not even that.

Well, no, you are correct depending on how many connectors he has on his unit. The 209 has only a 12pin, and won't work because it has no resolver. The 209A has a 50 pin connector and will work for him. But you can't tell the difference by looking at the front of the thing.

Last edited:
this is from the garmin website.
View attachment 91190

I also found this:
https://www.chiefaircraft.com/stc-992561.html

I haven’t talked to my mechanic about it because I’m not that close to pulling the trigger, but I thought this would work.

Am I wrong?
I don't know that I'll spend the money on it at this point, but if I'd thought of it at the time, I would have installed a physical VLOC/RNAV switch with my GTN 650. It doesn't come up that much in my ordinary flying, but my biennial IPC always includes an ILS approach, and making sure you're in VLOC mode before the FAF is an important part of not flunking it (and then getting back into RNAV mode after the missed). It's easy to miss on the GPS screen.

Just installed 175 in my 180. Already had VOR/ILS capabilities...Several of the airports close to my family are RNAV only approaches, so this new capability is a game changer for me.
Had approx 8K in equipment and install. Had to move transponder to old ADF slot, added Garmin 106B CDI for GPS, and a switch to toggle my two nav radios to remaining CDI (one radio has glideslope, other radio is lateral only).

Just installed 175 in my 180. Already had VOR/ILS capabilities...Several of the airports close to my family are RNAV only approaches, so this new capability is a game changer for me.
Had approx 8K in equipment and install. Had to move transponder to old ADF slot, added Garmin 106B CDI for GPS, and a switch to toggle my two nav radios to remaining CDI (one radio has glideslope, other radio is lateral only).
What a change in just 3 years — a new IFR WAAS GPS for $8K installed. In 2017, people we still selling ancient, used GNC 430Ws with their 20-year-old technology for more than $8K, sometimes without even tray or antenna (and, of course, excluding installation costs).

What a change in just 3 years — a new IFR WAAS GPS for $8K installed. In 2017, people we still selling ancient, used GNC 430Ws with their 20-year-old technology for more than $8K, sometimes without even tray or antenna (and, of course, excluding installation costs).

Of course, the 430W included a high quality nav/com as well. But to your point, I purchased a barely used GTN 650 at that time for mid $9s which is only a little more. That's because in 2016 the market was still reluctant to accept the touchscreen devices and the 430s carried an unnatural premium as a result. It turned out to be the best possible timing to a) move into a GTN 650 without having to go with last-gen tech such as a 430, b) sell a KLN-94, and c) sell a KX-155A. One of my rare "lucky timing" events in my AMU divesting career.

I just put a deposit down on a $17,600 quote for 2 G5’s and a 175 installed. If that helps at all. I believe the 175 was about 7500 of it

I just put a deposit down on a $17,600 quote for 2 G5’s and a 175 installed. If that helps at all. I believe the 175 was about 7500 of it
Earlier this year I was quoted $15k for the 355, a G5 (hsi) and everything else needed, installed. By 2 different garmin shops. Didn’t have the cash at the time, will probably make it happen in March or so. I had the GTX335 adsb-out installed in 2018, may swap for the 345 if the price is right.

Then it sounds like I got a decent deal when you add the gad 13 and temp probe
Edit: just realized that’s a 375. $18500 after the wind and temp but still a good deal.

We paid $15,500 for a GNX 375 and a pair of G5s, plus antennae and air temp probe, including installation.

Last edited:
Back