Today's flight

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I wanted to take the Lucky Strike up today mostly to test out the new folding bicycle I bought. Fits nicely in the luggage bay. I flew down to RZT thinking I might ride the bicycle to Chillicothe, a place I haven't been in decades. I land, pull out the bicycle, put it together and walk over the FBO. I ask the guy there if there is anything I need to do/sign. No he says. I tell him I lament the lack of crew cars and thought I'd try to ride the bike into town. He says that they have crew cars.

After a couple miles I realize I'm not riding ten miles there and back. Just don't have bicycling muscles. I turn around and put the bicycle away. I ask the guy at the FBO about the crew car. He says this on is $72, that one is $72 and the other is $95. I tell him that those are rental cars, not crew cars. I ask him why would I want to spend $72 just to get lunch in bloody Chillicothe?

Anyhow, gotta build up some bicycle muscles. I miss crew cars, but just how it is.

Just go 5 miles on the bike. Gotta start small and build up.

OR, buy an e bike.

Thinking about this...wonder if it might be better to ditch the bike, load a comfortable lawn chair and call Uber Eats at destination?

Thinking about this...wonder if it might be better to ditch the bike, load a comfortable lawn chair and call Uber Eats at destination?

I like that line of thinkin'.... but do they deliver out of the city limits.??

You can’t just buy a bike and expect to hop on and do 10 or 20 miles. Even if you somewhat regularly ride a different bike. I used to ride 1000-2000 miles a summer when I was young. But now? 20-30 miles is painful since I’m not consistently riding. Ride every other day on that bike. Build it up. And I’ll bet it was your butt that was more sore than the legs. Hahaha. Cycling has two fitness levels to deal with. Legs and butt. Both are constraints to be dealt with.

You can’t just buy a bike and expect to hop on and do 10 or 20 miles. Even if you somewhat regularly ride a different bike. I used to ride 1000-2000 miles a summer when I was young. But now? 20-30 miles is painful since I’m not consistently riding. Ride every other day on that bike. Build it up. And I’ll bet it was your butt that was more sore than the legs. Hahaha. Cycling has two fitness levels to deal with. Legs and butt. Both are constraints to be dealt with.
We are of like minds on this. My younger self coloring my expectations. I have an old bicycle at home and will start riding 6 miles a day (in good weather). Should build up bicycling muscles.

Another option might be to get an electric scooter: https://www.techradar.com/news/best-electric-scooters

Like electric bikes, they are however considered mopeds in many states or, if the state has legislation for electric bikes, oftentimes can be used only on streets with low speeds limits.
I understand that cops rarely enforce these laws, though, but it is still something to be aware of.

We are still considering getting scooters, since our two folding bikes pretty much fill up our Mooney's baggage compartment and the back seat.

Really what you need to do is buy a plane that you can just put your own car inside!

Something like this:

http://flightplanet.com/turboprop-aircraft-for-sale/antonov/an-26__26549.php
-costs less than most C172
-two engine safety
-can fit a small car inside, so no more hassling with crew cars, and expensive and hard to schedule rental cars
-built in 1972, so younger than many of the flying GA planes
-only one, yes "1", TTAF
-230 KTAS cruise, makes it faster than a Cirrus and comparable to some Moonies. Second engine makes up for lack of chute
-will easily fit a couple e-bikes
-might not fit in a standard T-hangar
-soft field capable
-can fill the tanks and fit 4 people in it plus their bags!

/s

Here is one for $1500. Another option - Any chance for Ubers?

upload_2020-10-19_15-54-11.png

Ebikes are too much money for may cheapskate self. I"m pretty certain if I spend some time riding my bicycle to work and back I'l have sufficient muscles to implement my evil plan.

$1500 buys several years of ubers and rental cars for my habits.

I bet the refurbished Jupiter flying electric bikes weighs well north of 28 pounds. I do have to heft it into the luggage bay of the aircraft.

I bet the refurbished Jupiter flying electric bikes weighs well north of 28 pounds. I do have to heft it into the luggage bay of the aircraft.

I'll see if I can't bring a scale and weigh mine. I keep it at the hangar for loading into the plane (low wing) and for making the oh-so-important run (ride) to the bathroom down the way from the hangar. Believe you me, it is much nicer to ride to the bathroom than make the cross-legged run to the bathroom. (Too much information?) :p

I saw those, liked em. How small completely folded (in or out of bag)?
How do they do on grass/gravel/bumps?

I'll measure this weekend (when I bring the scale also.) It folds into the size of a large pizza box (not the Costco size) and will fit on the seat of my Sportcruiser. In the bag (it's a pretty big bag and not really a "back pack") it's a little bulkier, but thankfully the bag has rolling wheels and pockets to carry the charger (if needed to recharge).

In all honestly, the bike is a little wonky and uneven. The tiny wheels don't give much stability, so you have to balance and use both hands on the bar. (Don't even think about waving to someone!) Kneepads and elbow pads (and helmet) would be recommended when first riding, and bigger potholes (deeper than a 1/2 inch) is not recommended. I haven't tried grass, but I would NOT recommend gravel. This is purely a concrete or asphalt (or hard packed dirt) bike. But it works great to get across asphalt to the bathroom in a hurry! (See above)

I'll see if I can't bring a scale and weigh mine. I keep it at the hangar for loading into the plane (low wing) and for making the oh-so-important run (ride) to the bathroom down the way from the hangar. Believe you me, it is much nicer to ride to the bathroom than make the cross-legged run to the bathroom. (Too much information?)

I'll measure this weekend (when I bring the scale also.) It folds into the size of a large pizza box (not the Costco size) and will fit on the seat of my Sportcruiser. In the bag (it's a pretty big bag and not really a "back pack") it's a little bulkier, but thankfully the bag has rolling wheels and pockets to carry the charger (if needed to recharge).

In all honestly, the bike is a little wonky and uneven. The tiny wheels don't give much stability, so you have to balance and use both hands on the bar. (Don't even think about waving to someone!) Kneepads and elbow pads (and helmet) would be recommended when first riding, and bigger potholes (deeper than a 1/2 inch) is not recommended. I haven't tried grass, but I would NOT recommend gravel. This is purely a concrete or asphalt (or hard packed dirt) bike. But it works great to get across asphalt to the bathroom in a hurry! (See above)
Thanks for the review... I'll keep looking

For anyone interested, I folded and measured the Jupiter Bike. I didn't remove the seat, so the measurement (to the tip of the seat) is about 21" tall by 19" wide. My analog scale said it was 25 pounds (not including backpack and charger.)

In my plane (LSA) it fits in the right seat pretty well.

IMG_4875.jpeg IMG_4876.jpeg IMG_4877.jpeg IMG_4878.jpeg IMG_4879.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, that’s pretty compact!

Just posting this because I didn't think my Jupiter Bike would fit in the wing locker of my LSA... but it does! :) If any of you know of the Sportcruiser, the wing lockers are decently sized, but this is the only eBike I know of that will fit (with some room to spare!)

IMG_4957.jpeg IMG_4956.jpeg

I’d go for that Jupiter bike if it could be pedaled. Running out of juice would suck.

Before you throw in the towel and buy the "Little Rascal" mobility scooter FREE (paid for by Medicare), take your folding bike and just ride it for 20 min day around your neighborhood. Go slow, just enjoy the ride. Just keep doing that for a month or two.

Back