Ferrying plane across the U.S. cost

Well now you have piqued my curiosity. Please provide some examples of "piddly little maintenance issues at remote locations" that will befuddle a low time pilot while an experienced pilot will breeze through the issues.

Also I think it's worth noting that it's pretty easy to flight plan around getting stuck in Nowhere, U.S.A. if that's really a concern... ;-)
Nah, I think the lack of understanding of culture and infrastructure by a 44 hour pilot is pretty obvious. At 44 hours, I do think that it's safe to say that most pilots understand most of the mechanics of of flying an airplane, but there are just too many things that pilots know from experience, not instruction, that make long cross country flight less of a hassle.

Two thoughts:

At 44 hours, a cross country with a decent CFII would be the best real world training you'll ever get. Way better than 10 hours in the local area. I would recommend a CFII over a CFI since you will experience real weather. Good learning. The trip is an opportunity, not an obstacle.

The cost of the CFII is a fixed cost, you'll pay that on the trip home or after it gets to you. So financially, you're only marginal cost is the CFII's expenses.

Just don’t rush it,

Nah, I think the lack of understanding of culture and infrastructure by a 44 hour pilot is pretty obvious. At 44 hours, I do think that it's safe to say that most pilots understand most of the mechanics of of flying an airplane, but there are just too many things that pilots know from experience, not instruction, that make long cross country flight less of a hassle.
Well, obviously. But how does the 44 hour pilot _get_ that experience?

I would get my 10 hours in a rental, and then take a pilot friend with me to pick it up. A pilot friend won't charge you, you have the "safety net" of a second pilot, you're sharing the experience. Seems like a win-win.

What I did when I bought my plane from Phoenix I rode along with the seller who delivered it to Texas. He got to enjoy a nice last day of flying the plane. I put him up for the night at my place and gave him a first class ticket home the next day. I also paid for the plane :)

Yep, debating that IFR training on the way back, but thinking about it, I'd miss getting to see the country as it flew by on my maiden voyage in the plane. :)

That said, here in Bellingham Washington IFR endorsement is going to be a must if I ever want to fly anywhere fall-spring. :) So I'll want to knock that out as soon as practical. :)

"I would get my 10 hours in a rental" That was my initial plan as my old instructor has an Arrow, but insurance is requiring it on the plane itself.

"I would get my 10 hours in a rental" That was my initial plan as my old instructor has an Arrow, but insurance is requiring it on the plane itself.

Quote elsewhere. I've never heard of THE EXACT plane being a requirement. I've loaned my plane to a friend to do his dual when he was finishing his build. I only asked he use MY CFI. The two are now good friends and fly formation regularly. I saw them launch yesterday while I was driving to the office.

Bellingham is a nice town. I spent 6 months there at the hotel next to the Greek restaurant. Looks like the hotel changed brands but the restaurant has the same name.

Why are you buying a plane? If like me it's to have adventures, absolutely have the adventure of flying your plane home. I flew my first plane home solo at ~60TT, just a sequence of shorter VFR hops. I've also flown with a pilot in his new plane and his fresh PPL from Los Angeles to Jacksonville, FL. and he was PIC the whole way except a couple hours of IMC when I filed and took over. Don't worry about getting a CFII as long as your more experienced pilot friend knows the plane and has an IR, you have plenty to learn about being an aviator without going hours under the hood. Of course, don't be in a rush to get home, that's no fun and dangerous.

Why are you buying a plane? If like me it's to have adventures, absolutely have the adventure of flying your plane home. I flew my first plane home solo at ~60TT, just a sequence of shorter VFR hops. I've also flown with a pilot in his new plane and his fresh PPL from Los Angeles to Jacksonville, FL. and he was PIC the whole way except a couple hours of IMC when I filed and took over. Don't worry about getting a CFII as long as your more experienced pilot friend knows the plane and has an IR, you have plenty to learn about being an aviator without going hours under the hood. Of course, don't be in a rush to get home, that's no fun and dangerous.

I'm in this "school of thought". Get transitioned to the airplane at home. Then go get the airplane. Plan your way across the country 300 miles at a time, always leaving yourself an out. This is a great time of year to make a cross country in the southern part of the country.

All relative. :) I solo'd at 6-ish hours, first solo cross country not long after, and after about 20-ish instructor said I was ready for the test and then just burning hours to get to the 40 hour min for the check ride- not because I'm some exceptional pilot (faaaaaaaaaaar from it I can tell you), but because I was so freaking overly cautious and massively over prepared for every little thing that my instructor never worried about me in the slightest, and I was slightly ahead of the curve on the knowledge parts of things.

For example, I had already gone through not one, but TWO separate flight school video and text book series to completion + read Stick and Rudder and The Killing Zone- How and Why Pilot's Die, and watched just about every Air Safety Institute accident case study video available :) all before hour 1 of flying. Then during flight training I more or less did most of that again. :)

And my instructor was exceptional too. Career military pilot and military pilot trainer for a long time who then transitioned into owning/running a flight school which he's been doing for many, many years since. Absolutely phenomenal instructor and a great guy. :)

I actually used to drive him crazy (like literally he yelled at me about it a couple times) about how overly cautious I am in the air. Haha, he said one of the only students he's ever had where he actually encouraged to be LESS cautious. Not because I wasn't being safe in my over-cautiousness, but because I was driving him crazy with certain aspects of my flying where he felt like it was "Flying Miss Daisy". ;-)

So anyway, not too concerned about such a cross country trip myself. My propensity to be MASSIVELY overprepared and just as overly cautious means that plane wouldn't leave the ground unless everything looked amazing and was confirmed such with every tool available. :) And the whole country to divert to if anything seemed off at any point during. :) Bound to be a good path somewhere. And, if not, no problem just sitting on the ground waiting. :)

Flying with an instructor just I think would be a lot more time efficient, both as with an ultra-experienced pilot along, I can feel comfortable toning my caution down to more reasonable levels ;-), and knock out the required time on the plane itself at the same time for insurance :) Plus I imagine given a whole lot of time to do nothing but mostly stare out the window with an exceptionally experienced pilot sitting next to me, I'd learn a lot just gabbing. :) Probably things I'd never even have thought to ask about. :)

As for the transition time itself to the new type, from everyone I've talked to, including my old instructor who knows my experience best, it will take me approximately 2 seconds to get a feel for the Arrow vs the Archer (much heavier controls mainly and whereas the Archer drops like a refrigerator when you cut the power, I'm told the Arrow is more like a refrigerator with a big rock tied to it ;-), so leave a titch of power in until right before touch down from what I'm told). And, being my nature, I've already obsessively researched/watched countless videos on every facet of flying a complex aircraft (and the Arrow III). So just, you know, remember to put the gear down ;-), and all the rest seems pretty straightforward as well. :) Just GEAR GEAR GEAR. :)

So anyway, not really worried about the new type much either. :) Especially as with 10 hours before I'm allowed to solo in it, that's going to be way more time than needed to get comfortable no matter how I get the plane home.

That's all not overconfidence in my ability to fly (I know I'm a newb pilot who shouldn't be trusted in anything but clear, bright shiny skies and extra long and wide runways where nobody else is around in the air at the time ;-)), but supreme confidence in my desire to not die and keep my airplane insurance agent happy, ;-) and thus, that my nature of being overly cautious and always MASSIVELY overly prepared will continue to shine through here. ;-)

But just for time efficiency, thought it would be a good idea to do it this way of killing two birds with one stone. :) VERY glad it sounds like I shouldn't have problems finding someone good willing to do it. :)

Main downside vs training first and flying across the country by myself, beyond adding more days sitting in South Carolina and extra expense in some ways, is if I was flying home by myself, I might take a more meandering route for fun instead of getting home as directly as possible. :)

If you actually fly this trip solo true to this historical description, you can do it safely. It does mean that it will take you a lot longer because of the almost total risk avoidance. You have already selected the Southern Route which will keep you out of higher altitude issues. Echoing some previous suggestions, do plan to fly to airports with services, not just for mechanical issues that could arise, but to the obvious need to shelter in place with inevitably weather issues. Don’t fly at night at your level of inexperience; there are too many pitfalls with low time, but do get enough good hood time at home. Keep your legs short since you will probably not be great at leaning properly yet, although that will obviously increase your range. Flying westward means your range is reduced anyway from the usual headwinds in good weather.
If your plane has autopilot, that will help you solo even if you are trying to hand fly since some of your time might be better spent trying to brief charts etc to alter plans enroute for some reason.It will also reduce your fatigue factor. And if you do have that autopilot, learn how to use it simply before taking off ie in heading mode. If you fly off your hours at home in the rental, make sure those hours include lots of class D, C, and maybe B if possible as 44hrs suggests you might not be comfortable with complicated airspace. Many of us have higher PPL times because we learned in very congested airspace. Your cell phone will be handy for calls to your home CFI to ask him about any concerns preflight along the way. Consider a Sat phone rental to insure communications anywhere where cell signals are weak. At the least, carry a PLB. Use the Gump call out routinely for all landings in your Archer (like its got RG) and you will be ready for dropping your landing gear in the Arrow.

Last edited:
All relative. :) I solo'd at 6-ish hours, first solo cross country not long after, and after about 20-ish instructor said I was ready for the test and then just burning hours to get to the 40 hour min for the check ride- not because I'm some exceptional pilot (faaaaaaaaaaar from it I can tell you), but because I was so freaking overly cautious and massively over prepared for every little thing that my instructor never worried about me in the slightest, and I was slightly ahead of the curve on the knowledge parts of things.

For example, I had already gone through not one, but TWO separate flight school video and text book series to completion + read Stick and Rudder and The Killing Zone- How and Why Pilot's Die, and watched just about every Air Safety Institute accident case study video available :) all before hour 1 of flying. Then during flight training I more or less did most of that again. :)

And my instructor was exceptional too. Career military pilot and military pilot trainer for a long time who then transitioned into owning/running a flight school which he's been doing for many, many years since. Absolutely phenomenal instructor and a great guy. :)

I actually used to drive him crazy (like literally he yelled at me about it a couple times) about how overly cautious I am in the air. Haha, he said one of the only students he's ever had where he actually encouraged to be LESS cautious. Not because I wasn't being safe in my over-cautiousness, but because I was driving him crazy with certain aspects of my flying where he felt like it was "Flying Miss Daisy". ;-)

So anyway, not too concerned about such a cross country trip myself. My propensity to be MASSIVELY overprepared and just as overly cautious means that plane wouldn't leave the ground unless everything looked amazing and was confirmed such with every tool available. :) And the whole country to divert to if anything seemed off at any point during. :) Bound to be a good path somewhere. And, if not, no problem just sitting on the ground waiting. :)

Flying with an instructor just I think would be a lot more time efficient, both as with an ultra-experienced pilot along, I can feel comfortable toning my caution down to more reasonable levels ;-), and knock out the required time on the plane itself at the same time for insurance :) Plus I imagine given a whole lot of time to do nothing but mostly stare out the window with an exceptionally experienced pilot sitting next to me, I'd learn a lot just gabbing. :) Probably things I'd never even have thought to ask about. :)

As for the transition time itself to the new type, from everyone I've talked to, including my old instructor who knows my experience best, it will take me approximately 2 seconds to get a feel for the Arrow vs the Archer (much heavier controls mainly and whereas the Archer drops like a refrigerator when you cut the power, I'm told the Arrow is more like a refrigerator with a big rock tied to it ;-), so leave a titch of power in until right before touch down from what I'm told). And, being my nature, I've already obsessively researched/watched countless videos on every facet of flying a complex aircraft (and the Arrow III). So just, you know, remember to put the gear down ;-), and all the rest seems pretty straightforward as well. :) Just GEAR GEAR GEAR. :)

So anyway, not really worried about the new type much either. :) Especially as with 10 hours before I'm allowed to solo in it, that's going to be way more time than needed to get comfortable no matter how I get the plane home.

That's all not overconfidence in my ability to fly (I know I'm a newb pilot who shouldn't be trusted in anything but clear, bright shiny skies and extra long and wide runways where nobody else is around in the air at the time ;-)), but supreme confidence in my desire to not die and keep my airplane insurance agent happy, ;-) and thus, that my nature of being overly cautious and always MASSIVELY overly prepared will continue to shine through here. ;-)

But just for time efficiency, thought it would be a good idea to do it this way of killing two birds with one stone. :) VERY glad it sounds like I shouldn't have problems finding someone good willing to do it. :)

Main downside vs training first and flying across the country by myself, beyond adding more days sitting in South Carolina and extra expense in some ways, is if I was flying home by myself, I might take a more meandering route for fun instead of getting home as directly as possible. :)
You haven't convinced me but you've obviously convinced you. Its your life. Have fun.

Some people seem to have more aptitude for risk-management than others. (And it can be learned.)

One needs to be willing to evaluate potential hazards throughout the course of a flight.

You haven't convinced me but you've obviously convinced you. Its your life. Have fun.

And it sounds like we won't.

I bought my 172 in Georgia and flew it back to NH. After I handed over the check, signed the papers, and fueled the plane, I sat alone in the plane for 10-15 minutes before I did anything. Ok, its all on me now...

Supper fun flight. Stopped to see relatives on the way. No ASDB-In, so looked at the weather reports in the morning and just went. Listened to various ATIS on the way up go get an idea of what was going on + the view out the window. Broke it up into 3-4 hour cross-country flights. Every time I stopped for fuel, I'd hop into the FBO to check the weather for where I was going. Learned so much more on that flight than I did on all my previous cross countries combined. FF all the way, handled Washington, Philly, NY, Boston airspace on the way... great fun. Had around 70-ish hours then.

I don't see the push back on doing the trip dual. Honestly, long solo flights are nice once in a while, but doing a succession of them kinda sucks. It is much more fun to have someone to chat with and share some of the mental workload with. Not to mention the efficiency of getting the dual instruction requirement out of the way and also some of your instrument training.

Also, never be too confident in your own skill. There is always a better pilot. There is always a better pilot than that better pilot. There was always Bob Hoover to be better than the one better than the one who is better. How many hours to solo and before you were ready for a checkride are not necessarily going to determine how your skill applies to any individual situation. The only thing that lets you learn that is being in that situation - usually more than once.

What insurance requires dual on a specific plane? It is always make and model - sometimes not quite that bad (our insurance didn't require dual and only required "Bonanza" time, so any 33/35/36). I'm sure the insurance wants dual in an Arrow - maybe just straight tail Arrows. MAYBE non-turbo. But one specific plane? Doubt it.

Also, it is true that Arrows handle similarly to other Cherokees. The do not, however, handle exactly the same. The first type I checked out on after getting my private in an Archer was an Arrow. I was able to handle the aircraft just fine, but it was certainly a different airplane. Especially in landing. In fact, I'd argue that Arrows and Archers land significantly differently and I nearly always land an Arrow better than I can land an Archer.

If you actually fly this trip solo true to this historical description, you can do it safely. It does mean that it will take you a lot longer because of the almost total risk avoidance. You have already selected the Southern Route which will keep you out of higher altitude issues. Echoing some previous suggestions, do plan to fly to airports with services, not just for mechanical issues that could arise, but to the obvious need to shelter in place with inevitably weather issues. Don’t fly at night at your level of inexperience; there are too many pitfalls with low time, but do get enough good hood time at home. Keep your legs short since you will probably not be great at leaning properly yet, although that will obviously increase your range. Flying westward means your range is reduced anyway from the usual headwinds in good weather.
If your plane has autopilot, that will help you solo even if you are trying to hand fly since some of your time might be better spent trying to brief charts etc to alter plans enroute for some reason.It will also reduce your fatigue factor. And if you do have that autopilot, learn how to use it simply before taking off ie in heading mode. If you fly off your hours at home in the rental, make sure those hours include lots of class D, C, and maybe B if possible as 44hrs suggests you might not be comfortable with complicated airspace. Many of us have higher PPL times because we learned in very congested airspace. Your cell phone will be handy for calls to your home CFI to ask him about any concerns preflight along the way. Consider a Sat phone rental to insure communications anywhere where cell signals are weak. At the least, carry a PLB. Use the Gump call out routinely for all landings in your Archer (like its got RG) and you will be ready for dropping your landing gear in the Arrow.
On the other hand, speaking out of both sides of my mouth, I had about 120 hrs before my first 600 miler. Choose wisely.

Also, never be too confident in your own skill. There is always a better pilot.
Quoted for truth. I think some of the OPs comments in this thread read like a page out of a CFI training manual on recognizing the invulnerability hazardous attitude but that's just me.

I agree with the rest of your comments so I think we're on the same page for the most part, but I disagree with this statement. There is almost nothing in the private pilot curriculum that properly prepares a 44 hour pilot for airplane ownership. Airplane piloting? Sure. Airplane ownership? Nope, not even close.

When you're a renter and you're on a trip, the moment some mechanical anomaly you've never experienced happens, you've got experts a phone call away who can advise you on what to do and arrange professional help if appropriate along with payment for it while you wait with almost no requirement of lifting a finger on your end beyond that phone call. When you're dong that trip in the plane that you now own but don't really know, you don't have that option. If it develops a noise or a weird feel in the controls or anything else out of the ordinary, you're on your own to figure out whether you should get a mechanic involved and you're on own your own to pay the bill.

That's not to say that it can't be done. But it is to say that chances are a 300 hour VFR only private pilot would probably be much better prepared for such a trip vs a 44 hour VFR only private pilot. Put another way, private pilot training teaches you enough to fly a plane without supervision, but it most definitely does not teach you enough to fly that plane on every trip in every circumstance. If that were the case, there would be no need for instrument or commercial certificates.

I agree with you only to some extent regarding airplane ownership. But I disagree that most FBOs have an expert waiting by the phone to take your call. Once I had an alternator fail 500 miles away, and the FBO told me to get the battery charged and fly back. If you ignore that advice and get the repair done, you will have to pay up not knowing whether you will get reimbursed or not. If you leave the airplane and drive back, you will get charged for the cost of flying the airplane back plus who knows what else. On the other hand, if it is your own airplane, you can make these decisions with more confidence.

You have already selected the Southern Route which will keep you out of higher altitude issues.
Even on a southern route, he could encounter significant downdrafts and mountain-wave issues when the winds are strong. I have encountered this kind of thing in the Tehachapi Pass area, for example, which is one of the more benign areas to cross the mountains in California.

https://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/mountain-flying/mtn_wave.html

https://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/mountain-flying/do_dont.html

I agree with you only to some extent regarding airplane ownership. But I disagree that most FBOs have an expert waiting by the phone to take your call.
Having an expert available wasn't the best way to express what I meant. If I have a problem with a rental plane on a trip, that problem is the FBO's problem. If I'm able to be hands on with finding someone to get it solved, great. But if I'm not, I have the option of putting it on the FBO's lap. Its their plane. If they want it back, they'll figure out a way to get it fixed and make whatever phone calls or flights that need to be made to make that happen.

As a freshly minted PPL with 63 hours, and an additional 5 hours of transition training in an RV, I bought an RV-8A in Bend Oregon and flew it back across country to Tampa Florida. It was one of the best adventures I've ever had in my life. I had flight planned mostly for the southern route, but because of weather ended up taking the I-80 pass through the Rockies to near Cheyenne before angling south. Spent 2 nights in Garden City Kansas waiting on a front to pass then hopped over to Russellville Arkansas to visit some relatives before returning to Tampa on the 4th day. I had no problem navigating with GPS and a decent autopilot. I think PPL training prepared me sufficiently to make the trip, and I can't now fault any of the decision making I made on the trip. The trip was in October and the wind through the Rockies was mild. I had read stories of wind in the mountains and checked to make sure it was mild before starting the trip. I used FF most of the way, but overall it was just 6 cross country sight seeing flights!
I say, whatever you do, don't miss the opportunity to fly the plane back home yourself, whether you take another pilot, CFI or do it on your own.

Even on a southern route, he could encounter significant downdrafts and mountain-wave issues when the winds are strong. I have encountered this kind of thing in the Tehachapi Pass area, for example, which is one of the more benign areas to cross the mountains in California.

https://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/mountain-flying/mtn_wave.html

https://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/mountain-flying/do_dont.html
Spoken like an experienced mountain flyer, which I am not.

When/if the OP goes on that mountain segment, or other mountain segments for that matter, he should consult with an experienced CFI from the area to assess the flight path and plan for safety given the weather and wind conditions that are expected.
This was exactly what I had done many years ago, when in the middle of my IFR training with around 160 hrs, I flew to Steamboat Colorado in my Archer. The old sage CFI at Cheyenne was most reassuring and helpful, and actually suggested a change in my routing. One of the eye openers at the time was the need for leaning and the exquisite requisite to fly close to Vy in order to achieve any significant climb at altitude. Take note of my relative experience level, compared to the OP almost 4 times, and what I still felt prudent to do for safety.

I disagree. Without the fund of knowledge that a more experienced cross-country pilot has, even piddly little maintenance issues at remote locations can be a very confusing and every inconvenient management problem. I'm not talking safety (although the dangers to a 44 hour pilot are real and should be readily apparent), I'm talking about about how to resolve the issues efficiently and minimize inconvenience.
The best option for that would be to subscribe to Savvy's breakdown service (or a competing one, if any exists). Then you will have specialists on call 24/7 to advise you. An experienced CFI will have picked up a couple of tips and tricks, but that doesn't make them a mechanic

The best option for that would be to subscribe to Savvy's breakdown service (or a competing one, if any exists). Then you will have specialists on call 24/7 to advise you. An experienced CFI will have picked up a couple of tips and tricks, but that doesn't make them a mechanic
What does that service cost? I thought Mike Busch only covered Cirrus.

What insurance requires dual on a specific plane? It is always make and model - sometimes not quite that bad (our insurance didn't require dual and only required "Bonanza" time, so any 33/35/36). I'm sure the insurance wants dual in an Arrow - maybe just straight tail Arrows. MAYBE non-turbo. But one specific plane? Doubt it.

I've seen it, and conducted training to meet exactly that requirement. Especially recently as the insurance market continues to become more difficult. I've seen where "Bonanza" time is no longer adequate. Heck, I was once denied insurance in a G36 because my A36 time wasn't in the right make/model (it wasn't in a "G" 36...). I know a guy who has to get an annual IPC in his airplane to maintain his insurance - not just an IPC in any airplane, and not just the same model, but his exact airplane.

Well now you have piqued my curiosity. Please provide some examples of "piddly little maintenance issues at remote locations" that will befuddle a low time pilot while an experienced pilot will breeze through the issues.

Also I think it's worth noting that it's pretty easy to flight plan around getting stuck in Nowhere, U.S.A. if that's really a concern... ;-)
Been there, done that. You don't get to flight plan your emergency stops. It was a gasolator failure (it cracked - was leaking fuel through the firewall) on a cherry of a J-3 Cub on a ferry from Florida to Texas. Landed at the strip west of Mobile, AL with the tick marks on the sectional because that means it's supposed to have an FBO (It wasn't where I planned to stop further down the road) and wished I'd landed at the vibrant grass strip I passed over as the FBO was closed (shut down) no A&P / IA on the field, and there was no one there and I couldn't get cell phone service. Spent my birthday in a terrible hotel in the middle of nowhere and didn't get out until two days later and it would've been longer but the previous owner drove a spare to me. @pigpenracing could vouch for me on that...

Last edited:
SC to WA State is a haul, likely headwinds much of the way to boot.

I’d 1st look for a pilot friend who’s up for adventure, you pay normal expenses.

You don't get to flight plan your emergency stops.

No kidding? Sorry you had that experience, but my reply was regarding a low time pilot getting stuck somewhere and dealing with "piddly maintenance issues". I'm not sure an unscheduled stop because of a broken gascolator leaking fuel falls into that category. In your case, did you feel you were able to work through your predicament more easily because of your flying experience? Would a low time pilot still be stuck there trying to figure out what to do?

Last edited:
The problem with the majority of the responses providing neat stories about their own ferry flights, and some of the other comments as well, they miss the totality of the scenario that the OP outlined. It is all well and good to provide encouragement by telling your story of a summer flight in your new-to-you Cherokee up the east coast, but that experience is hardly comparable to going from SC to WA, in the late fall early winter. Unless one is retired and can devote a month to the project and doesn't mind spending five days in a small town in WY, there will be a fair amount of pressure to get the flight over with. For most people, even with time to burn, there is a lure of getting home. The passes and peaks of the mountain west are littered with the remains of pilots who are not experienced flying in those conditions. If this were July, the answer then this might be a lot more doable.

As was pointed out, there isn't a route to the west coast that doesn't offer challenges. While the I-10 corridor offers less challenge, the Banning Pass can be round as can the Tehachapi pass. Once you get into the Central Valley of California, things get easier, but only as fair as Redding. This time of year, on this route, is not a for a newbie pilot, even with a newly-minted lounge lizard in the right seat.

The trip would be a great learning experience that should not be passed up, but it needs an instructor who has substantial experience flying in the mountainous west. It also goes without saying that one will learn more for an old hand, than a newbie.

Just my two cents.

No kidding? Sorry you had that experience, but my reply was regarding a low time pilot getting stuck somewhere and dealing with "piddly maintenance issues". I'm not sure an unscheduled stop because of a broken gascolator leaking fuel falls into that category. In your case, did you feel you were able to work through your predicament more easily because of your flying experience? Would a low time pilot still be stuck there trying to figure out what to do?
There are a LOT of things that can go wrong in a plane that a more experienced pilot will find a non-event, but could be hazardous to a low-timer. I'd offer that a lot has to do with the quality of their instruction and how much extra value they got from their previous flight instructors. Students are going to be a reflection of their teacher, plus the ability to communicate and receive so if they had a young whippersnapper with little experience of their own, it's probably hazardous. There are former students of mine I would have had very little concerns about buying a standard low-energy GA aircraft and ferrying it home.

On the ferry mentioned above, I noticed the gas coming over the J-3's firewall and knew very quickly that I had a problem to deal with, and made appropriate changes. I also had familiarity with the aircraft type before the ferry. A new pilot just getting familiar with the aircraft doesn't know the sound and smells, and other "feel" things that tell you when trouble is around the corner. If you're flying a new to you aircraft, don't know the systems well, don't have other experience to back it up, plus on a cross-country, that could easily set up an "accident chain" as gets frequently discussed. Breaking that chain can be as easy as being patient and taking smaller hops, having an experienced pilot on board, or getting extra training before you start the trip. Also, that training ought to be focused on the things that could go wrong. Steep turns may improve your ability to fly the plane, but the things that will help you survive are getting familiar with the slow flight envelope (and avoiding stalls) and short and soft field capabilities, as well as a good look at the systems including the fuel system in particular. There were ferries on experimental aircraft that I told the owner I would require a decent checkout for myself before launching X/C and two of them proved important to successful outcomes.

The other thing is that even a high-dollar decent pre-buy may not discover significant things. My boss in the aerial photography business had an extensive pre-flight done on a C-177RG Cardinal in California before having the aircraft ferried to us in Texas. The first flight I made out to West Texas in it, the door popped open, TWICE. I literally do not know how the plane could have been ferried to us from California without that happening, but the pilot who was I believe part of the group selling it to us said nothing. If I had been a rookie, that door issue would have been extremely distracting, and definitely hazardous, but with a two-person crew on board, we dealt with it and landed safely. We had ongoing issues with that door over the next several months.

YMMV and most of these ferry flights will end well, but don't cheat yourself in the safety chain.

Last edited:
The first flight I made out to West Texas in it, the door popped open, TWICE. I literally do not know how the plane could have been ferried to us from California without that happening, but the pilot who was I believe part of the group selling it to us said nothing. If I had been a rookie, that door issue would have been extremely distracting, and definitely hazardous, but with a two-person crew on board, we dealt with it and landed safely.

Oh FFS, once my Decathlon door popped open while inverted in the middle of a acro contest. I switched the stick to my left hand, reached up (down?) to refasten the latch while I floated over the top of a cuban 8, and finished the sequence. I did not die, and I got my best score of the weekend. But I congratulate you and your crew for surviving your harrowing ordeal.

Bringing a CFI along on the whole trip could magnify your get-there-itis, since he/she is on the clock.

Your first few hours in the Arrow needs to be spent in the pattern, burning that B-GUMPS checklist into your brain so you don't become next month's trending YouTube video. So here's an idea: find a CFI where your new plane is currently located. Go there and get 5 hours dual in the local area. The next day, depart and get 5 hours dual XC. Drop the CFI off to catch a commercial flight back home, and continue on your XC journey. That way you aren't paying for any overnight costs or days sitting in Cheyenne WY waiting on weather. 5 hours of XC will get you all the way to the Mississippi.

If you really want an A plus for safety, find a mountain flying instructor somewhere along the front range and get them to accompany you on the hop across the Rockies.

Oh FFS, once my Decathlon door popped open while inverted in the middle of a acro contest. I switched the stick to my left hand, reached up (down?) to refasten the latch while I floated over the top of a cuban 8, and finished the sequence. I did not die, and I got my best score of the weekend. But I congratulate you and your crew for surviving your harrowing ordeal.

Sounds like a cool move, Maverick. Did you get a polaroid?

Heh, you definitely missed the point.

Sounds like a cool move, Maverick. Did you get a polaroid?

No. At the time I considered it unremarkable. It was only years later, when I joined PoA, that I learned it was actually a near death experience.

No. At the time I considered it unremarkable. It was only years later, when I joined PoA, that I learned it was actually a near death experience.
On this website, definitely sounds like the makings of a 100-post thread to me.

There are a LOT of things that can go wrong in a plane that a more experienced pilot will find a non-event, but could be hazardous to a low-timer.

Would you be able to provide some examples? I asked the last person that made this assertion and he declined. @schmookeeg provided a few but I think some of those may prove tough for more seasoned pilots. I think the ability to deal with aircraft maintenance issues depends more on a pilot's mechanical aptitude and experience vs the pilot's total time. There are a lot of pilots that are appliance operators and always will be.

As far as making a safe XC, I have always believed that you're the most proficient after getting a new rating. A newly minted PPL is probably more safe than a LOT of high time pilots. They're more proficient and all I have seen tend to be very conservative when planning flights, making GO/NO-GO decisions and flying XC trips. Accident data tends to show that as well. I pulled this graph from a non peer reviewed FAA paper (https://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/2010s/media/201503.pdf)

upload_2020-10-21_0-59-2.png

The sweet spot for accidents sure looks like 1,000 hours. Less than 100 is pretty low...

I think most posters here have the OP's best interests in mind. Sure there's potential pitfalls, but those come with any flight. Yes, if you fly into a blizzard over the mountains or venture from VMC to IMC bad things are going to happen. But if you don't do that this XC can be perfectly safe and a fun opportunity.

Would you be able to provide some examples? I asked the last person that made this assertion and he declined. @schmookeeg provided a few but I think some of those may prove tough for more seasoned pilots. I think the ability to deal with aircraft maintenance issues depends more on a pilot's mechanical aptitude and experience vs the pilot's total time. There are a lot of pilots that are appliance operators and always will be.

As far as making a safe XC, I have always believed that you're the most proficient after getting a new rating. A newly minted PPL is probably more safe than a LOT of high time pilots. They're more proficient and all I have seen tend to be very conservative when planning flights, making GO/NO-GO decisions and flying XC trips. Accident data tends to show that as well. I pulled this graph from a non peer reviewed FAA paper (https://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/2010s/media/201503.pdf)

View attachment 91198

The sweet spot for accidents sure looks like 1,000 hours. Less than 100 is pretty low...

I think most posters here have the OP's best interests in mind. Sure there's potential pitfalls, but those come with any flight. Yes, if you fly into a blizzard over the mountains or venture from VMC to IMC bad things are going to happen. But if you don't do that this XC can be perfectly safe and a fun opportunity.

I wonder what the active pilot hours look like? How many hours are being flown by pilots in each of those bins in a year?

That's a fascinating chart. I always thought the "killing zone" was before 300 hours. I assume "accident rate" is normalized for hours in each bin, but I'm suspicious.

That's a fascinating chart. I always thought the "killing zone" was before 300 hours. I assume "accident rate" is normalized for hours in each bin, but I'm suspicious.
Since he provided a link to the study, hopefully the methodology is adequately explained there.

Back