Storing engines

Now you got me worrying . :(
My 172 hasn't been out of hanger since first week in June . It came back from annual and there it sits.
I have stopped by on my way to wifes Dr. appointments and turned it over .
been since March since I have been flying.
Guess I shall have to pay some one to fly it an hour every week . :)

Let me strongly suggest that you do not grind your dry engine to death by pulling it through every few weeks or months. Once it has set long enough for the cam (and rings) to go dry you need to either pre-oil it ( not easy to do on most ga engines) or just start it so you get oil pressure as fast as possible.
The vast majority of GA engines die from rust and/or dry starts long, long, long before they would wear out if run regularly.

Let me strongly suggest that you do not grind your dry engine to death by pulling it through every few weeks or months. Once it has set long enough for the cam (and rings) to go dry you need to either pre-oil it ( not easy to do on most ga engines) or just start it so you get oil pressure as fast as possible.
The vast majority of GA engines die from rust and/or dry starts long, long, long before they would wear out if run regularly.

Reading my owners manual. But 60 plus years old information.

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_132706429~2.jpg
    IMG_20201016_132706429~2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 15
No amount of prop turning will move significant oil from the sump to the engine parts. You will however start to scrape any remaining oil off cylinder walls. Much of the engine is splash lubricated, and that won't happen unless the engine is running. And the oil won't get hot enough to drive off much of the combustion moisture and acids unless you fly it long enough to get the oil up to temp.

For a happy engine, don't pull the prop or ground run it, fly it! Even once a month for an hour would be better than sitting.

I've posted this before, but it is still relevant. Kenmore Air Harbor used to have a service for their customers who parked their airplanes there. Once a week they would go out and run the engine for 10 minutes.

Bob Munro stopped providing that service when all those Cessna 180's engines turned into a pile of rust.

I have a Superior XPIO-360 stored at my hangar which will not run again until the first flight of my RV-8. When the engine was removed from service, it wasn't preserved. All I've been able to do it drain the old oil, install dehydrator plugs in the top plug holes and stick an Engine Saver up the breather tube. I've had 2 different A&Ps tell me it'll be fine stored like this. But, I still worry.

My little Sonerai flies at least an hour almost every week. There's been only once or twice in the 3 years I've owned her that I couldn't at least get up in the pattern for an hour of touch and goes. The fun part is that when its marginal VFR, almost everyone else stays home. But, 1,500 OVC and 10 knots of west wind makes for a good time and I have the pattern all to myself.

I stored an O320 for my RV6A for two years before installation. Filled it with oil and stored it upside down so the camshaft was protected. It was mid time then (2004-ish) and is still going strong.

Back