Origin of “Skylane”

ATC just calls all cezznas skyhawk. I die a little every time.

Just imagine how you'd feel if you were called "Skyhawk" by ATC in your Cessna Citation...:D

Lots of "Sky" names. Skylane doesn't seem to fit in with the rest.

The airplane companies must have hired the same advert agencies working for the car companies. :p
"Land-O-Matic" and "Para-Lift" flaps seem analogous to "Air Poise Suspension" and "Powerglide" transmissions. And "Skylane" rolls off the tongue a lot easier than "Businessliner"...and survived longer.

190/195
No name 1947-54. “Businessliner” used in 1953-54 ads but not displayed on aircraft.

Wasn't one of those the "Airmaster"?

And what about the Bamboo Bomber?

So what does "Fairlane" remind you of, or what special feeling does it bring forth? :p

"Skylane" may not be the most ethereal of airplane names, but it sounds better than skyline. ;)

Reminds me of Andrew Dice Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember the 1970s radio ad?

"Knock-knock."
"Who's there?"
"Datsun."
"Datsun who?"
"Dat's a nice car."
:p

I always wanted one of those Datsun 2000 roadsters. Figured I could tell my friends it was My Fair Lady. ;)
Pause here for groan...

So what does "Fairlane" remind you of, or what special feeling does it bring forth? :p

"Skylane" may not be the most ethereal of airplane names, but it sounds better than skyline. ;)

What's the matter with the exchange name of our phone number in Davis, CA in the 1950s? Skyline 3 - xxxx

Like every PA28 is a "Cherokee"

Yup, and the POH for the PA28R-200 called it the Cherokee Arrow. Published by Piper. So, ATC isn't too far wrong.

I used to get called Navaho a lot when going between Baltimore and Dulles approaches (pre-Potomac days). It was a while before I found out that the controllers in the TRACON would just put in a single letter for types on VFR popups. C for Cessna and P for Piper were easy guesses. A relatively fast mover with N?

"Fair Lane" was the name of Henry Ford's estate in Dearborn MI. :D
Named after somewhere in Ireland. And, now, the name of more shopping centers, office buildings, fitness centers, and purd near everything else in Dearborn. Many of the buildings had nicknames (Blue Lagoon, Kenmore Towers...) because you couldn't keep all the Fairlane variations straight.

Published by Piper
Piper liked sticking to one main model designator. I'm learning more and more about the Aztec and it's interesting that both the Apache and the Aztec are PA-23.. yet ATC wants the Aztec called PA-27 due to its considerably different performance envelope

Was this a Boeing-esq desire to help with certification costs? "No no, it's still an Apache, it's just bigger and has much larger engines and a whole different performance profile, otherwise it's basically the same" haha

Piper liked sticking to one main model designator. I'm learning more and more about the Aztec and it's interesting that both the Apache and the Aztec are PA-23.. yet ATC wants the Aztec called PA-27 due to its considerably different performance envelope

Was this a Boeing-esq desire to help with certification costs? "No no, it's still an Apache, it's just bigger and has much larger engines and a whole different performance profile, otherwise it's basically the same" haha

Actually the Aztec's Piper model designation is a PA-27 (the first two digits of the Piper serial number are the model, and you'll see the Aztecs all start with 27). I think the FAA type certificate is the same as the Apache though, so maybe they think they are all 23s? @Pilawt can probably explain all this better than me.

Whatever, just make sure your instructor doesn't forget to show you how to operate the PiperMatic MCAS system.

PiperMatic MCAS system
:D:D:eek:

..is it panic and do nothing until the plane is hopelessly out of trim? Luckily I'll be getting more than a 30 minute iPad powerpoint presentation

jk, sorry.. too soon?

Post some pics of the plane if you get a chance.

Who knows, just like me and @Ted DuPuis you might really appreciate it after you log some hours in it.
Earlier this year I connected with the second retired wide-body airline captain that I know that chose to build up an Aztec for his personal airplane after retiring. Both of them do a lot of overwater flying from their winter homes in Florida.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Post some pics of the plane if you get a chance.

Who knows, just like me and @Ted DuPuis you might really appreciate it after you log some hours in it.
Earlier this year I connected with the second retired wide-body airline captain that I know that chose to build up an Aztec for his personal airplane after retiring. Both of them do a lot of overwater flying from their winter homes in Florida.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
I'm pretty excited! Over water and over mountain flying has always been an issue for me.. and lately with having four people consistently plus bags and stuff it'll be great to have the capacity

There's a guy on YouTube who has a couple good Aztec videos Fastback Flying

It's going to be a whole different flying experience. That's for sure!

Actually the Aztec's Piper model designation is a PA-27 (the first two digits of the Piper serial number are the model, and you'll see the Aztecs all start with 27). I think the FAA type certificate is the same as the Apache though, so maybe they think they are all 23s?
Yep, Aztecs (and Apache 235s) were known within the company as PA-27, and their ICAO designator is PA27. Piper called them PA-23-250 (and PA-23-235) for marketing. Round-tail Apaches are PA-23s, have '23-' serial numbers, and have the ICAO designator PA23.

Likewise, the Comanche 400 was marketed as PA-24-400, but within the company it was PA-26, and serials start with '26-'.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone mention the 188 line. I worked for a Cessna Ag dealer in the 70's.

AgPickup
AgWagon
AgTruck

Anyone know what an AGCarryall was?

I'm showing my age again.

That's an interesting take. We got a brand-new AgCarryall in 1973 but never used it for aerial application. My first taildragger experience.

Back