Appointment with a neurologist...

A

anonymous atp

Well I'm freaking out a little.

Over the last couple days I started having slight loss of sensation in the lower legs. Then it appeared in my hands and then progressed up to my neck and face :/ It seems to come and go and almost feels the same as after you have a few beers.

I'm going to see a neurologist. Dreading what I am thinking is going to be a pain in the behind trying to restore my medical. Any thoughts or wisdom? Thanks in advance!

first off, don't worry about your medical, get your health straight first. just having an appointment with a neurologist is not really a reason to be concerned with, what he puts in the paper trail is what is concerning. until they figure out what is causing your symptoms there really is no way to tell what effect it will have on your medical. I would be up front with the neurologist and discuss the concerns with your medical so he at least is up to speed on it. when you get more info im sure dr bruce will have some great info for you.

Hopefully your symptoms turn out to be nothing big, but whatever it is, concentrate on your health and you can deal with the medical later. I have Multiple sclerosis, and am legally blind in one eye as a result. It took a little doing, but I was able to get and maintain a third class medical with a special issuance.

Yeah, we'll see what they find on the MRI. Thanks for the support everyone!

Can be a lot of things. Hopefully the neurologist finds one of the simpler ones.

Some of the stuff can be chemical too and it’s just bothering the neurons. A visit to the GP for a simple blood panel isn’t a bad idea. Various deficiencies, diabetes, all sorts of stuff.

A shotgun of tests are not going to be your friend, but lead to a chasing of a bunch of rabbits. Go to the best experts you can find, not the ones in your PPO(think gate keeper). The fewer guesses and the more knowledge the neurologist has will be your friend. hopefully the doc will take a good history, which directs him to a focused exam, allowing a short list of differential diagnosis’s that he then order tests to rule in or out. Too often the history is brief and general, most of it is a 3 page form you fill out, the PA asks most of the questions(looking at his computer screen, recording your answer and next question) then the doc comes in and gives a quick generic exam and orders a bunch of tests. There are exceptions, but they are in the minority(just like AME’s). After the history and exam, I would like to know his list of differential diagnoses before he orders any tests. Good luck, might find a neurologist who is also an AME.

An update:

Symptoms completely resolved. I saw a neurologist who found nothing wrong with me after an exam, MRI and EMG nerve conduction study. I went back to my primary care physician and he concluded it was an anxiety episode... He said I didn't need medication or psychiatric evaluation and that it was probably a one off thing.

This is what I'm submitting to the FAA under guidance from a doctor who works to help pilots keep their medicals. Does anyone have any insight as to what to expect from the FAA?

I appreciate everyone's support and input. Safe flying!

:

This is what I'm submitting to the FAA under guidance from a doctor who works to help pilots keep their medicals. Does anyone have any insight as to what to expect from the FAA?

That Doc should be able to answer that.

Glad it wasn’t anything serious. Happy flying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back