technically advanced aircraft

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
What are the requirements to be a technically advanced aircraft for use in training for a commercial certificate.

Interesting. Glad I saw that article. We had assumed that it would be a glass cockpit aircraft. That's much more reachable for any given flight school.

61.129(j) Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;

(2) An electronic Multifunction Display (MFD) that includes, at a minimum, a moving map using Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation with the aircraft position displayed;

(3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system; and

(4) The display elements described in paragraphs (j)(1) and (2) of this section must be continuously visible.

A pair of G5's, a 430 and an autopilot with alt hold and can follow a heading fits the bill.

A pair of G5's, a 430 and an autopilot with alt hold and can follow a heading fits the bill.
That's what we did in the tiger. We have a pair of G5s (with the magnetometer), a 430W, and a GFC500 autopilot. It meets the requirements for us. It's what I'm planning to use this year to complete my commercial.

Sorry everyone, going to raise this thread from the dead.

When it comes to autopilot in a technically advanced aircraft, is the Trio Pro Pilot or the TT Vizion/BK Aerocruze 100 a viable option.

So it would appear that my Archer with Aspen, 430w and autopilot coupled to navigation, heading with GPSS is technically not TAA since I have no altitude coupling on the autopilot, whether tracking or alt hold. I do have an altitude alerter in the Aspen however.

I don't think: (3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system;

Requires the vertical navigation to be integrated. I have a 430W with the Dynon "legacy" two axis autopilot and it is TAA.

Back