[NA]Zoom meeting help[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have my first one tomorrow. (I know zero about Zoom)
I need to be able to show a very brief 1Mb video.
I have it saved as an mpeg on each of my devices, as well as on YT.
How can I get each participant to see the video (simultaneously would be awesome but not required).
Will the app allow the video to run, or will people have to move from one app to another?

I have my first one tomorrow. (I know zero about Zoom)
I need to be able to show a very brief 1Mb video.
I have it saved as an mpeg on each of my devices, as well as on YT.
How can I get each participant to see the video (simultaneously would be awesome but not required).
Will the app allow the video to run, or will people have to move from one app to another?
I am far from a Zoom expert, but I know you can share your screen, so you could run the video on the device you are using to Zoom.

I'm sure someone else will have more helpful instructions.

you play it on your machine in whichever app you choose. But before you hit play you share your screen in zoom and share that specific window. Or you can share your entire desktop if you prefer. Easiest if you have minimum number of other apps and windows open.

Others will see it in their zoom window; won’t matter to them what app you play it in.

When you share you will be able to choose the window that you want to share. At the bottom of that share window there will be two checkboxes. One says "share sound" and the other says "optimize for video" (or something like that. Choose the window with the video open and then check those two boxes and share it out. Everybody should see the video and hear the sound coming from it.

I'm on an ipad.
Share Screen does not appear as an option.
In fact, none of the menu items at the bottom of the YT vid above appear.
Laptop/Desktop only thing?

There is a Share Content at the top right but it has been disabled by the host.

The host will have to set up the meeting so that multiple attendees can share. There is a setting on the share button that allows the host to do this. You get Zoom going, get your camera and microphone on line. Have your materials out and ready to go on your. screen. When it comes time you hit the green share button at the bottom of the screen. You'll get a menu of things you can share, share your screen. Bring up your materials.

It has been my experience with several of the streaming platforms that they dont do well whenever either a video or output from anything that has a fairly high resolution image has to be presented. If the group of participants is small and somewhat trusted, it may work better to send them the video rather than relying on the screen-share option.

It has been my experience with several of the streaming platforms that they dont do well whenever either a video or output from anything that has a fairly high resolution image has to be presented.
Working from school with lots of bandwidth is not an issue for me. Working from home, forget video, use a phone for audio...

I'm on an ipad.
Share Screen does not appear as an option.
In fact, none of the menu items at the bottom of the YT vid above appear.
Laptop/Desktop only thing?
It sounds like you're looking for a link to share the YT vid itself. That's not what you want to do. You want to share your screen within the Zoom app. All you need to do with YT player is load it on your ipad and play the video you want everyone to see (after sharing your screen within the Zoom app of course).

Pro tips for first time zoomer:
  • If you're on an ipad, find something tall to prop your ipad up on. You want the camera to be at or slightly above your eye level. No one wants to look up your nostrils.
  • Look at the camera when you're talking. People tend to stare at the window that shows themselves when they're talking instead of looking at the camera.

All the vast majority need is document sharing and audio.
Usually when there are more than a few people, they ask everyone except the presenters to turn off video and audio. I'm not sure if this helps bandwidth, but it definitely helps eliminate distractions. Also, it's better if the presenters are able to get to a place where there is good wifi. I have seen some presentations that are virtually unwatchable. I was watching a memorial service on Zoom, then switched to Facebook live because of bandwidth problems. It was much more watchable on FB.

FTFY! LOL.

Brady Bunch videoconferencing is stupid and a waste of bandwidth, for 99% of business meetings.

Agree. I don't use the camera, and I have it taped over so Bill Barr and the Illuminati can't use it, either.

One drawback to teleconferencing without video is that, unless you are good at voices and know the people in the conference, it's hard to tell who is speaking. Of course the few teleconferences I have participated in have had me as the only female, so everyone knows... :rofl:

You may find you're twice as productive. As a pilot, you are probably used to monitoring the radio and ignoring traffic calls to that airport 50 miles behind you, but still be responsive to ATC. Use that skill set to work on something else on your computer until you need to answer a question ;)

Is it critical that everyone watches the video at exactly the same time ?

If not, share the link to YT along with sharing your screen and tell people that this is where they can get the video directly. A few people may only see gibberish on their shared screen but they would get a clear video if they click on the YT link.

Last edited:
Ok; the host says he can turn on sharing.
If that does not work I can easily send a link to the YT video by email during the presentation.
However the YT video somehow got degraded and there are details blurred, when I play back my own video from YT.

So I might send them each the original video, it is only 11seconds and 1.23MB - does that sound onerous?

FTFY! LOL.

Brady Bunch videoconferencing is stupid and a waste of bandwidth, for 99% of business meetings.

For group presentations and for one on one meetings I agree. For meetings with half a dozen participants who are all actively giving input during the meeting, I much prefer all participants turn on video. Also for one on one training, I've found video on for both student and instructor to be much more effective than audio only.

My upload speed on speedtest.net is 0.73mbps and it took 15 seconds to send.
Odd, but tolerable.
Unlikely any of these guys have slower speed than me.
I guess if they dl it during the Zoom, that will slow things down for them.
I can make a draft email on the yahoo server so one button and done, to send it during the meeting.
The video is something that I can't send before the meeting. Surprise factor and all.
Thanks for the help.

Ok; the host says he can turn on sharing.
If that does not work I can easily send a link to the YT video by email during the presentation.
However the YT video somehow got degraded and there are details blurred, when I play back my own video from YT.

So I might send them each the original video, it is only 11seconds and 1.23MB - does that sound onerous?

YT video is always degraded until they finish processing it, assuming you’ve confirmed that however you uploaded it didn’t degrade it.

Can take up to 24 hours but usually not.

Also turn off the mid-roll ads if you are allowing ads or everyone will want to kill you lately. Their new extra ads are awful, and they’ve started jamming even more mid-roll ads in both as a standard “feature” and also even more extras if you regularly use the skip feature.

It’s just lovely...

They’re just trying to sell the $11/month ad removal package as the revenue from online ads craters and they have no idea how to pay for all the bandwidth.

The only good news is, content providers make more money off of ad-less subscriber views than people willing to watch twenty ads a video now.

My upload speed on speedtest.net is 0.73mbps and it took 15 seconds to send.
Odd, but tolerable.
Unlikely any of these guys have slower speed than me.
I guess if they dl it during the Zoom, that will slow things down for them.
I can make a draft email on the yahoo server so one button and done, to send it during the meeting.
The video is something that I can't send before the meeting. Surprise factor and all.
Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you are at he end of a very thin straw connected to the internet tubes. If you try to show the video via sharing from your desktop, it may not work all that well. It would probably work better to give everyone a link to the youtube video or email them the file itself.

One drawback to teleconferencing without video is that, unless you are good at voices and know the people in the conference, it's hard to tell who is speaking. Of course the few teleconferences I have participated in have had me as the only female, so everyone knows... :rofl:

Their name literally lights up on good platforms when they speak. LOL.

Plenty of bad platforms though.

As a company that created the two and a half speaker algorithm for audio, in DSP software, back when this stuff was hard...

We figured that crap out back when we still had to use dumb terminals to manage the calls.

Back then it was called “talk slot monitoring” and only the operator could see it. Anything created after about 2002 that doesn’t show it to participants — is beyond dumb. The actual conferencing industry did all of this long ago.

None of this stuff is new. Just various places vying for market share during Covid. As soon as humans can be released from their reverse-quarantine virtual political cages, nobody will truly want video.

We had it on our desks back then to “eat our own dog food” two decades ago. After the novelty of video wears off, everybody turns it off or points their cameras at inanimate objects. Clocks and toy collections were popular. A few blowhards pointed them at walls with certificates on them, like anybody cared. Ha.

Only takes one or two calls even in a huge team to learn voices. And most folks know their bosses’ voices anyway.

Hate to say it but at least in the corporate world, when mixed with the number of meetings that could have been an e-mail, the vast majority of folks don’t care who’s on most corporate calls... especially the bigger they are.

LOL. “Who are you again? Yeah that’s not your department anyway, but thanks for the input... Bob from Accounting... on how to fix the system problem... why are you here again? There’s literally three people in the entire company that can actually repair this...”

(well, thats what most useful people are thinking while on mute...) hahaha.

Most of us know the ten or maybe twenty people you actually have to work with regularly in any regular sized job. Beyond that it’s another department and the meeting is useless anyway. Introduction meetings are the bosses’ job. After that... we know who’s joining.

For those talking about teaching, yeah there’s some value seeing the student is still awake, true, but make the material hard enough and the test hard enough and even that doesn’t matter. Hahaha.

They’ll stay awake as long as failing the class has real consequences.

Adults anyway. Kids, ahh ... who knows. Reasonable problem. :) :) :)

Been working on multiple big (really big) work projects from home with crap loads of people all year from home. Camera was on once. Was to show one team a funny t-shirt I had on.

Eventually all work related standing meetings become video-not-required real fast. Upload a headshot as an avatar or whatever the platform calls it and call it a decade. Maybe update it in ten years if you haven’t switched companies by then.

I uploaded this as my work avatar seven years ago, I think...? Nobody cares...

https://bukk.it/buck.gif

Youtube allows the playback user to select the resolution. Maybe yours is set low?

Gear icon/Quality.

It seems to be on auto by default, but it tells you what it is using. I am often short of CPU and until recently worried about my monthly download and so I usually set it down a bit.

Youtube allows the playback user to select the resolution. Maybe yours is set low?

Gear icon/Quality.

It seems to be on auto by default, but it tells you what it is using. I am often short of CPU and until recently worried about my monthly download and so I usually set it down a bit.

A good point.

Can also right click on videos and turn on the “stats for nerds” option to see full data about what might be going wrong.

No idea if it’s available on the generally crippled and non-full-featured mobile apps on a tablet though.

had me as the only female, so everyone knows... :rofl:

For fun you could always try to work in some Elizabeth Holmes style voice remodeling ;)

1m 40s in if link does not take you to the right place.

Their name literally lights up on good platforms when they speak. LOL.
I meant teleconferencing on the phone! Or is that not what it is called. :p Luckily I have not had to participate in too many meetings. Pilot meetings and all-employee meetings were few and far between. But if you could not attend, you were supposed to call in. Can't tell you how happy I am that I did not have a job where there were a lot of meetings, in person or otherwise...

For fun you could always try to work in some Elizabeth Holmes style voice remodeling ;)

1m 40s in if link does not take you to the right place.
At first I thought that was just her real voice. Then I Googled her and I see that she has faked a lot of other things....

I meant teleconferencing on the phone! Or is that not what it is called. :p Luckily I have not had to participate in too many meetings. Pilot meetings and all-employee meetings were few and far between. But if you could not attend, you were supposed to call in. Can't tell you how happy I am that I did not have a job where there were a lot of meetings, in person or otherwise...

Yeah. I’d much prefer to talk to controllers all day than most of my meetings... haha.

We got some stuff done in the team meeting this morning though. Well at least covered why something we found misconfigured was “bad” and who can fix it...

One interesting side effect of 2020. No group meetings about insurance open enrollment where everyone goes into a room and the three people who can’t read, trap us all the big room for two hours. Ha.

They’re doing all of that with one on ones with the insurance company people.

Was nice to be done in five minutes flat.

“I’m going with what’s on my form there.”

“Great you understand X, Y, and Z about that policy?”

“Yup. Thanks.”

Must be a bear for the insurance company though. That’s a lot of meetings.

Yeah. I’d much prefer to talk to controllers all day than most of my meetings... haha.

We got some stuff done in the team meeting this morning though. Well at least covered why something we found misconfigured was “bad” and who can fix it...

One interesting side effect of 2020. No group meetings about insurance open enrollment where everyone goes into a room and the three people who can’t read, trap us all the big room for two hours. Ha.

They’re doing all of that with one on ones with the insurance company people.

Was nice to be done in five minutes flat.

“I’m going with what’s on my form there.”

“Great you understand X, Y, and Z about that policy?”

“Yup. Thanks.”

Must be a bear for the insurance company though. That’s a lot of meetings.
Ugh, I remember those benefits meetings. But I wish I was still getting a good proportion of my insurance paid for by the company. :rofl:

The Zoom went well, fair.
All the suboptimality was due to my bandwidth and that of one other participant's.
Many of us were turning Zoom video off in order to even hear each other!
So the thought of sharing a video was out.
I emailed it to everyone.
However all the tips on clipping nosehairs, having the camera higher were good.
I noticed with some lighting changes I did not look quite so haggard and geriatric, lol. For the early parts when we actually tried the vid option.
It seems like any transmission of the video whether by email or to YT is degrading it. I can see the important detail on my computer from the original file (which arrived via iphone) but when I send it to myself etc, the same 1.2MB is blurry.

Back