F-35 and KC-130 Tanker Collide 9/30

I wonder what the hazmat cleanup at the F35 site must be like?

A pile of sooty carbon fibers?

Depends on exactly what exotic material they made those fibers from. I know as a firefighter in our initial training we were warned about burning composites, especially from stealthy aircraft such as the F-117.

Depends on exactly what exotic material they made those fibers from. I know as a firefighter in our initial training we were warned about burning composites, especially from stealthy aircraft such as the F-117.

What’s the thing with them? Toxic fumes? Explosive?

A pile of sooty carbon fibers?

That assumes that the fireball burns up everything to a degree that destroys potential hazmat. E.g the F-16 has a tank with hydrazine (N2H4) to power the emergency power supply. Securing that tank is part of the emergency response on that type.

What’s the thing with them? Toxic fumes? Explosive?

One of the challenges in the mishap investigation with carbon fiber and it's ilk was lots and lots of little needle sharp fibers that could poke you or get inhaled. We had liquid floor wax and a garden sprayer in the "go box" to cement them in place without having much risk of damaging evidence.

The damage on the right side was from the collision. The left side damage occurred on landing. The fuel leak is from the attach point for the detached air refuel Pod.

Back