Disc Herniation and First Class Medical

A

Anonymous

Hey everyone,

I hold a first class medical for my job.

The other day I tweaked something in my lower back while doing some yardwork. I have developed classic symptoms of a herniated/slipped disc: sciatica, numbness, and muscle weakness in the leg. From what I've read these symptoms go away over time. I have stopped flying and am scheduled to see a doctor sometime this week.

I wanted to see if anyone out there has had a similar experience or can give me some insight into what obstacles I may face trying to get my first class medical privileges back. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't go to the doctor and tell him/her "I think I herniated a lumbar disc". Just say "my back hurts and I have numbness and muscle weakness in my leg". The only thing they can diagnose right now is "lumbar radiculopathy" (if you've described the symptoms above accurately). Be careful how you word things...it may form the basis of what the doctor codes the diagnosis, which in turn might make for difficult explanations when it's time for your next medical. "Herniated disc" is different than "lumbar radiculopathy", and that's different than "leg numbness and muscle weakness". The only way they can diagnose "herniated disc" is with an MRI.

If your symptoms resolve via whatever method you/they choose...steroids, injections, physical therapy, or surgery...and you don't end up on chronic opioids, I can't see why the FAA would even care.

I had a partial discectomy for a herniation and had ZERO problems with my 1st class medical.

reported it on my renewal and it simply didn’t raise any eyebrows.

I did keep my AME updated through it all.

On this one FAA wants you well. If the surgery makes you well and you are off all the pain/spasm cr-p and mine well, the AME can declare a good outcome, and that’s that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back