91.103 vs inability to obtain information

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
So I flew out this weekend to an area that had 0 ground transportation, 0 internet service, and 0 cell service - or a least so intermittent a phone call could not be completed. I was there for 3 days. Things change in 3 days.

14CFR91.103 sez:

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include—

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;

How is this accomplished when the information is unable to be obtained until one has departed the vicinity of the airport?

I think the operative word is "available".

I went airplane camping in a canyon in backcountry Idaho for a few days with some other guys. No landline phone, no cell, no internet, couldn't even see the weather beyond the nearest ridge. Fortunately my Sport Cub had a 496 with XM weather, so I could grab some nearby METARS and TAFs on the ground before takeoff.

So I flew out this weekend to an area that had 0 ground transportation, 0 internet service, and 0 cell service - or a least so intermittent a phone call could not be completed.
At one point not that long ago this accurately described 6Y9. We got along OK.

At one point not that long ago this accurately described 6Y9. We got along OK.

There was always (until recently) a pay phone at the diner - filed from there and got a clearance void more than once, and phones at the gas station that could be used. So it was available to be retrieved. In this case there was no means to obtain the information until departure.

Used to tune the ADF to the closest AM radio station to get local weather information.
I miss ADF. Navigation and entertainment all in one box and no subscription fees.

Get high enough to reach flight “service” and get a briefing before you set out X/C.

Back