Guy Hand Props Cub In Midflight

Anything for likes. Darwinism hasn't weeded em all out yet.

Yup- total set up.

pretty sure an a65 or even a big ol c85 would have stayed windmilling had they just ran it dry...they brought her to edge of stall and did their YouTube stunt...

I rented an episode of airplane repo just to show my GF how bad it was! Lol

Yup- total set up.

pretty sure an a65 or even a big ol c85 would have stayed windmilling had they just ran it dry...they brought her to edge of stall and did their YouTube stunt...
You're right. Actual research in a 65 hp Champ shows that the prop will not stop until stalled. Further, it will not start rotating again until IAS reaches 105 MPH.

Years ago, one of the guys in my EAA chapter did a flying farmer routine. Do a Google search for "Bob Weymuth". He was a real farmer & had a farm strip in Dresden Mills, Maine where he hangared his C-85 J-3. He made all the area airshows. Bob was a maestro with the Cub. Kept his routine below 500'. Bob would show up at the small airfields in the area and do a "real airshow" for his friends. Sure, all the loops,rolls & Cuban 8s of his regular show. But for his buds, he would sit on the struts and reach in and handle the stick. And he stood on the wheel axle to hand prop it. Below 500 feet.
The GADO approved his airshow waiver but not with him leaving the cockpit in flight. How much damage can an unmanned 750 pound J-3 (with prop stopped) do anyway? Bob died in 1986 doing a Memorial Day airshow. He was well past 60 at the time.
My Guard unit on occasion, brought our Bird Dogs and Helos to his farm strip for week end training. I also dropped in with my Champ at times.

The GADO approved his airshow waiver but not with him leaving the cockpit in flight. How much damage can an unmanned 750 pound J-3 (with prop stopped) do anyway? Bob died in 1986 doing a Memorial Day airshow. He was well past 60 at the time.
Didn’t Scholl climb out onto the wing of his Chipmunk for a pass or two?

You're right. Actual research in a 65 hp Champ shows that the prop will not stop until stalled. Further, it will not start rotating again until IAS reaches 105 MPH.

Exactly. All you have to do to "hand start" the stopped prop in that situation is get it past the first compression stroke. The relative wind will spin it from there and unless you're outta gas, it should start.

No one got hurt and it looks like they were over fairly rural area.. Peter and Wagner upset me more.. I think these guys knew they were being somewhat silly. Those two above? Not so much

However, could this violate FAR 91.13 about flying in an unsafe or reckless manner and got these guys in trouble?

No one got hurt and it looks like they were over fairly rural area.. Peter and Wagner upset me more.. I think these guys knew they were being somewhat silly. Those two above? Not so much

However, could this violate FAR 91.13 about flying in an unsafe or reckless manner and got these guys in trouble?
Of course it would. And now everyone has a copy of the vid.

I used to scuba dive. It was drilled into students to never dive without a buddy; it was too dangerous, what if the unthinkable happened? I drank that kool aide for a long time. Until someone mentioned to me that having a 'buddy' only fostered an inability to solve problems for oneself and to rely on someone else to save your bacon.

And let me tell you, you think a stopped prop will focus your mind? Consider not being able to breathe...

My take on the video (as if you asked) was that, is that whether it was done on a lark or in all seriousness is immaterial.

Taking the video at face value, those two demonstrated that sometimes one must conquer fear and do what is necessary (hand-prop J3 with a stopped prop and no starter over rough terrain) and not necessarily what is "safest."

Well he DID have that rope on his belt loop with the crappy knot:eek::confused:;)

Obviously tied by the pilot because if he fell out and the knot held they'd both die in the crash.

Taking the video at face value, those two demonstrated that sometimes one must conquer fear and do what is necessary (hand-prop J3 with a stopped prop and no starter over rough terrain) and not necessarily what is "safest."
Why would the engine have stopped, such that handpropping would get it going again? If that engine stopped mid flight, most likely no amount of hand propping is going to save you. You might as well fart into the wind to get going. No gas is no gas. A blown engine is a blown engine.

Why would the engine have stopped, such that handpropping would get it going again? If that engine stopped mid flight, most likely no amount of hand propping is going to save you. You might as well fart into the wind to get going. No gas is no gas. A blown engine is a blown engine.

About the only thing I can think of would be doing spins with the idle setting too low. I've had that happen before where the engine quits during a spin and the prop went deadstick and I had to restart...in a plane with a starter at least. Always do spins/aerobatics over a spot you can safely land if needed.

might have missed my point.

I used to scuba dive. It was drilled into students to never dive without a buddy; it was too dangerous, what if the unthinkable happened? I drank that kool aide for a long time. Until someone mentioned to me that having a 'buddy' only fostered an inability to solve problems for oneself and to rely on someone else to save your bacon.

Okay, I'll bite. You're solo on an open water dive (no spare tank) at 75'. You're near the end of the the dive. Your first stage fails in such a way as to not allow any air through. You noticed this when you just tried to inhale.

I'm guessing that your problem solution would be to remove your tank, remove the first stage and suck the air directly out of the bottle? While ascending and making your decompression stop.

Meh. I'll just grab my buddies octopus and buddy breath.

Your solution is akin to learning how to spot power lines while scud running. Mine is to not scud run.

Different strokes for different folks.

A fine attempt, but your premise is flawed. you assume to much.
Diving without a buddy AND no spare regulator or spare pony bottle? That is not too smart.

Mitigation of risk is the name of the game, as you rightly state in not scud running.

Back