Yellow tag

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
What does it mean when a piece of avionics equipment has a yellow tag? That it has been bench tested when removed? I have a transponder that I am removing and will want to sell. Do I need a yellow tag to make it more marketable?

"Tagging, especially "yellow tag", is a term used in US aviation to indicate a part is serviceable and airworthy as evaluated by an FAA certified repair station. It is important to note that this term is an industry term and is not an FAA requirement or even mentioned in the Federal Aviation Regulations"

What does it mean when a piece of avionics equipment has a yellow tag? That it has been bench tested when removed? I have a transponder that I am removing and will want to sell. Do I need a yellow tag to make it more marketable?
IF it was serviced recently, maybe, how do we know it still is?

What does it mean when a piece of avionics equipment has a yellow tag?
Provided it is filled out completely with a reference to a CRS work order, it only indicates that the equipment was checked per that work order-whatever that may be. As mentioned, a yellow tag hold zero regulatory significance. It's a hold over from the military which includes green, red, and blue tags. The original purpose of the tags was to convey the "status" of the part for maintenance purposes. The regulatory tag would be a Form 8130-3.
That it has been bench tested when removed?
You would have to read the associated CRS work order to see what was done.
Do I need a yellow tag to make it more marketable?
Only a CRS can technically issue yellow tags or 8130-3s. So if you wanted either one you would need to send it in for a check and request that documentation.

Depends on the device. Older stuff isn't worth the cost of sending out for the inspection.

I'd try to sell it with just "worked when removed" in the ad. If that doesn't work out invest the money in pedigree.

it also really depends on what type of transponder it is. if its gtx330 or a kt74 it may be worth getting it tagged, if its a at50 or a kt76 it not worth that much anyway.

Just say your transponder was recently removed for upgrade. If it was working prior to removal, say so. There are lots of transponders for sale..IMHO, I would not worry about a yellow tag.

I have purchased a couple used GTX327 in the last year..neither had a yellow tag. I had them bench checked prior to install...no issues. Even if they had yellow tags, I still would bench check after purchase to be safe.

Back