G5's, GTN650 and GFC500

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Continuing what started in this thread https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/gtn650-vs-gns430.128559/

I'm going up Monday for a FR and get started on an IPC. Went out yesterday and had a look at the plane I'll be flying. This is the stack and it has 2 G5's also. Tips, tricks, gotchas? Keep in mind I've never flown with an auto pilot before. G5 once but I didn't use it for anything, it was a sightseeing flight with non pilot passengers so I didn't mess around with it trying to figure out the buttonolgy. I've been playing around with the 650 on the Garmin Trainer and am pretty comfortable with it now.

Attachments

• _garmin boxes.jpg
    _garmin boxes.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 52
Things that help you nail that approach, in descending order:
  1. Autopilot (GFC500) engaged
  2. FD bars
  3. Matching the TRK indicator to DTK (hint: this does not necessarily mean that the course pointer is pointed straight up)
Bug everything (altitude, heading, etc).

Also, remember that magenta is GPS and green is VLOC. When it comes to the autopilot status, white is armed and green is active.

Use FLC mode in the climb, VS mode during descents.

Things that help you nail that approach, in descending order:
  1. Autopilot (GFC500) engaged
  2. FD bars
  3. Matching the TRK indicator to DTK (hint: this does not necessarily mean that the course pointer is pointed straight up)
Bug everything (altitude, heading, etc).

Also, remember that magenta is GPS and green is VLOC. When it comes to the autopilot status, white is armed and green is active.

Use FLC mode in the climb, VS mode during descents.

FLC?? I didn’t see that in the manual.

I have a similar stack in my plane. About the most complicated thing to enter in the GTN650 is a non-standard hold. With a little practice on the trainer, it can easily be mastered. G5's are very simple to use. The only complicated thing is setting the OBS. You should also learn how the fail-over mode works and how to change each G5 from AI to HSI and back. The GFC500 is the easiest autopilot I've ever used. I use VS mode while descending and IAS mode when climbing. It also has an Electronic Stability & Protection mode (AKA Nanny mode) that will turn the AP on when you are maneuvering outside the normal envelope (excessive bank, too fast, too slow... etc) and will engage and take corrective action. Personally, I like this, but others have complained about it.

It's a great set-up for IFR... you'll love it.

I have a similar stack in my plane. About the most complicated thing to enter in the GTN650 is a non-standard hold. With a little practice on the trainer, it can easily be mastered. G5's are very simple to use. The only complicated thing is setting the OBS. You should also learn how the fail-over mode works and how to change each G5 from AI to HSI and back. The GFC500 is the easiest autopilot I've ever used. I use VS mode while descending and IAS mode when climbing. It also has an Electronic Stability & Protection mode (AKA Nanny mode) that will turn the AP on when you are maneuvering outside the normal envelope (excessive bank, too fast, too slow... etc) and will engage and take corrective action. Personally, I like this, but others have complained about it.

It's a great set-up for IFR... you'll love it.

Whats complicated about OBS?

Whats complicated about OBS?

You have to make sure the CDI is set to VLOC. Then on the HSI:
1 - Press the knob in to bring up the menu
2 - Turn the knob to select "Course"
3 - Turn the knob to adjust the course

To me, it's awkward in flight. When I'm hand-flying, I typically use my second nav (GNC255 connected to a King OBS) when flying a VOR approach.

You have to make sure the CDI is set to VLOC. Then on the HSI:
1 - Press the knob in to bring up the menu
2 - Turn the knob to select "Course"
3 - Turn the knob to adjust the course

To me, it's awkward in flight. When I'm hand-flying, I typically use my second nav (GNC255 connected to a King OBS) when flying a VOR approach.

You can use OBS mode with a GPS input, though. It doesn't have to be set to VLOC unless you want to OBS from a ground-based navaid. Correct?

Once you loaded and activated the approach with a GFC 500, you don’t have to touch anything till 200 AGL or whatever your MDA is. I had some difficulty finding my power setting during the approach, and putting the flaps in while flying on the AP, but once you figure it out, it’s easy.

You can use OBS mode with a GPS input, though. It doesn't have to be set to VLOC unless you want to OBS from a ground-based navaid. Correct?

Correct. Mainly when you are performing a VOR approach. When doing a LOC or ILS, there is no need to "turn" the OBS.

Once you loaded and activated the approach with a GFC 500, you don’t have to touch anything till 200 AGL or whatever your MDA is. I had some difficulty finding my power setting during the approach, and putting the flaps in while flying on the AP, but once you figure it out, it’s easy.

When you load the approach in the 650, it puts the Loc freq in the Nav standby. You still have to move it to the active frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back