Best time of year for circumnavigation of the lower 48?

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
Finally planning a life-long dream of a flight around the US. Starting in California, down thru Arizona to Houston. Then across the Gulf Coast to northern Florida. Then up to First Flight, Buffalo, Oshkosh (not for Airventure), over to South Dakota, Montana, northern Washington, then down the coast to California, then home. Rough planning is 3 weeks duration, flying 4+ hours a day in my 110 mph homebuilt.

Flight will be VFR. Altitudes will be in the 5500 to 8500 range for the most part.

The question is - when to leave? Next spring, summer or fall?

Tia
Gary

Last edited:
June/July. Still have icing weather in May at those altitudes in the north half of the country.

That’s true but not much of clouds to hit. Stay VFR and flexible if flying out here in winter. Lots of $$ for heated hangars though on your pit stops

That’s true but not much of clouds to hit. Stay VFR and flexible if flying out here in winter. Lots of $$ for heated hangars though on your pit stops
Except when trying get through the northern Rockies or a trip to Pennsylvania or trip to the Upper Peninsula or I can't count the number of IMC with ice I've had to cancel in May. I probably cancelled more trips in May than any other month due to ice laden IMC.

Last edited:
Finally planning a life-long dream of a flight around the US. Starting in California, down thru Arizona to Houston. Then across the Gulf Coast to northern Florida. Then up to First Flight, Buffalo, Oshkosh (not for Airventure), over to South Dakota, Montana, northern Washington, then down the coast to California, then home. Rough planning is 3 weeks duration, flying 4+ hours a day in my 110 mph homebuilt.

Altitudes will be in the 5500 to 8500 range for the most part.

Tia
Gary

Northern Rockies and the Pacific Northwest is generally driest and most stable in August and September. Earlier it's thunderstorm season in the mountains, later it's snow and ice in the Cascades.

Spring can be fabulous on the west coast, but getting there from east of the Rockies can be tricky. The highest snowfalls in the mountains are generally early spring. Upslope conditions from the lows spinning off the Pacific coming inland to the south.

Last edited:
July will usually work if you can take the heat and high density altitudes.

I would do it in September/October. Best overall balance of temps, storms, green landscapes (or Fall colors if in October).

I would think spring or fall would be good for temps. Of course I've lived in Alaska the last 25+ years and enjoy the cooler temps..:rolleyes:

Basically September through early October. Very little in the way of major convective activity and low potential for icing for most of the US. Manageable temperatures and maybe some fall foliage up in the midwestern/northeastern areas.

June/July. Still have icing weather in May at those altitudes in the north half of the country.

I will be flying VFR so if I get into any kind of icing something has gone terribly wrong %^)

I just edited the original post...

I will be flying VFR so if I get into any kind of icing something has gone terribly wrong %^)

Yeah, when I went to cross the Rockies in April, and then May, there was no crossing the Rockies because the ice laden clouds were below the tops.

Lots of hurricanes this year in August-October. Effects from TX all the way up the east coast. No good way to avoid them or predict them however.

June is my favorite month, summer solstice and long days. As for weather, you're pilot in command, you can alter course or sit it out you're not running a scheduled service.

Sure there is: fly further north, lol.
Umm.. I am sitting in the rain and wind from Delta in New York today. This one was very fast moving, but slow movers can cause the entire east coast a few solid days of rain and wind.

Wasn’t it Pauline that just slammed Nova Scotia and Newfoundland? Remember Sandy too?

Umm.. I am sitting in the rain and wind from Delta in New York today. This one was very fast moving, but slow movers can cause the entire east coast a few solid days of rain and wind.

Wasn’t it Pauline that just slammed Nova Scotia and Newfoundland? Remember Sandy too?

So . . . park it in a hangar for a few days and continue on? Hurricanes don't exactly pop up unexpectedly. In Apr-July you're dealing with severe convective storms weekly through most of TX up through the midwest. I'll take my chances navigating around a hurricane when you know about it days in advance rather than trying to dodge t-storms every day throughout 1/3 of the trip. Just my preference, though.

So . . . park it in a hangar for a few days and continue on? Hurricanes don't exactly pop up unexpectedly. In Apr-July you're dealing with severe convective storms weekly through most of TX up through the midwest. I'll take my chances navigating around a hurricane when you know about it days in advance rather than trying to dodge t-storms every day throughout 1/3 of the trip. Just my preference, though.

Yeah, those hurricanes that pop up like tornadoes out of nowhere are the real buggers.

*looks for list of hurricanes/tropical storms that gave 15 minutes or less of warning*

I was just giving a data point for those that live on the West coast and may not think about hurricanes. Just like those on the East Coast don't think about fire related vis or mountain flying issues.

They have a very specific season that peaks dramatically in September. And they cover wide areas and have winds that are not just IFR, but unflyable in many cases. And the Tropical Storm Force winds sometimes/often make their way all the way up the entire country including up to Chicago or farther.

I was just giving a data point for those that live on the West coast and may not think about hurricanes. Just like those on the East Coast don't think about fire related vis or mountain flying issues.

They have a very specific season that peaks dramatically in September. And they cover wide areas and have winds that are not just IFR, but unflyable in many cases. And the Tropical Storm Force winds sometimes/often make their way all the way up the entire country including up to Chicago or farther.

I understand. I was just stating why I would rather try to plan around potential hurricanes more-so than sweltering heat (July-August) or rapidly building convective activity (Apr-June). It's all a crapshoot when trying to make a trip that long over an extended time period. You're bound to cross several weather systems getting across the continent and back.

I take it you're wanting to avoid "below freezing" conditions and therefore winter? (Can't blame ya!)

I'd say start in the spring. That way, you won't have to worry about winter conditions in the northerly parts of the trip; it'll only get warmer as time goes by and should be nice by the time you get there. If you wait until the fall, you may find yourself fretting about the snow forecast (and cold starts and whether you can get the engine pre-heated and that kind of thing) when you get into places like Buffalo or Montana. Hopefully not too sweltering yet in the south.

On my circumnavigation, I managed to depart Montana just as the first snow of the year was beginning to fall. Bozeman was the coldest "cold start" of the trip, just above freezing but not by much. That was the first week of October, and fortunately the next destination was California...
(My plane had a Tanis heater, but I had left the wing covers and engine blanket at home, since I had structured the trip to be "summer in the north, winter in the south".)
By the time I got to Texas, it was December, and the locals told me that the worst of the storm season (Oct) was over. That being said, while giving a talk in a pub in Dallas, we got hammered by hail and lightning (worst storm of the trip) with tornado warnings going off, and I was very grateful to be in @Ravioli 's hangar...
I spent the spring in West Virginia, where there was still snow in the mountains in March, but everything was green and lush by May. Working my way back through Kentucky in June/July, it seems I was doing a lot of waiting out storms.

My guess is that trying to predict storms, or predict when the Rockies can be crossed, is a fun statistical exercise, but ultimately just a fun exercise. Build sufficient flexibility into the planning, and you'll be able to wait out storms and wait for a good mountain-crossing day. Nothing will work out as you expect! On my trip, for instance, I soared through the Rockies with relative ease four times, but the one attempt to cross the Appalachians had me stranded for several days waiting for the insane wind to abate.

Three weeks sounds like a tight schedule. My trip logged 84 days of flying, although *many* of these were day trips with friends for lunch, or getting through Canada both to and from... if I count just the days "putting on the miles", say, from Madison around and back to Madison again, it was more like 35-40 flying days. But also I was taking my time, and exploring and visiting friends, stopping a lot of extra places, and only flying a couple of hours most of those days. No so much going for mileage each day, as it sounds like you'll be. Beware fatigue; exploring unfamiliar places and unfamiliar weather requires more mental energy. I could last about six flying days in a row before I needed a day off or two.
Blog: https://beetlejuiceadventure.wordpress.com

My trip was, I would say, the most fun I've had in my entire life... adventure and exploration in one of its purest forms. HAVE FUN!

I'd vote for early fall as my favorite time to do this, September-October. Down south, you are getting past the worst of summer convective season, and up north, you aren't into icing season yet. Plus, at this time of year, systems tend to start to move more quickly and not stagnate, meaning shorter waits for unflyable weather to pass. Hurricanes are always a potential this time of year, but they don't usually sneak up on you. Late spring is an option, with weather similar to early fall, but in spring weather tends to be more severe, especially in the South. And in the northeast corner of the country, we are prone to cutoff lows in May-June that can cause widespread and lengthy spells of IFR weather. In spring and fall, you can encounter bodacious winds aloft which make flying west miserable. As you get toward summer, the northeast is usually gorgeous, and winds aloft moderate, but daily convection becomes more of a threat, especially in southerly regions. This can ground you by 2 pm or so daily, but if mornings are flyable, you can make good progress. The only time I wouldn't choose is November-March. Just too much icing risk, especially in the northeast. I've flown longer pleasure or business trips in every month from mid-May to late October. Anytime in this window is reasonable for a light single, just different weather challenges depending on the time of year.

I never have done the trip. I would tend to agree right now would be a great time, but with the fires the west has seen the last few years, I would lean towards June or early July. As already mentioned the extra daylight is nice, but if you're flying 4 hour days I guess it doesn't really matter...

If and when I do something like this, my personal preference would be dead beat of winter. Unlike pop up TS, blizzards and snow storms give plenty of warning. But again I live in ND and don’t mind the cold lol

October was good when I did a smaller but still wonderful tour. It was Iowa > Oklahoma > Texas > New Mexico > California > Oregon > Idaho > Wyoming > Colorado > Iowa.

Weather was great. Starting the plane in the morning was never a problem.

The only challenge was IMC at about +1 C in Oregon, ending with an ILS to minimums. Waiting a couple of days would have avoided that.

This trip can be done any time of the year with a little planning and flexibility. I've done more upper midwest to coastal flights in the middle of winter than any other season and have done them all VFR. Sometimes leaving a day early or a day late was necessary but I always built flexibility into my time schedule and route.

I'd guess the most reliable timeframe for the best VFR weather is going to be in the fall though.

I take it you're wanting to avoid "below freezing" conditions and therefore winter? (Can't blame ya!)

I'd say start in the spring. That way, you won't have to worry about winter conditions in the northerly parts of the trip; it'll only get warmer as time goes by and should be nice by the time you get there. If you wait until the fall, you may find yourself fretting about the snow forecast (and cold starts and whether you can get the engine pre-heated and that kind of thing) when you get into places like Buffalo or Montana. Hopefully not too sweltering yet in the south.

On my circumnavigation, I managed to depart Montana just as the first snow of the year was beginning to fall. Bozeman was the coldest "cold start" of the trip, just above freezing but not by much. That was the first week of October, and fortunately the next destination was California...
(My plane had a Tanis heater, but I had left the wing covers and engine blanket at home, since I had structured the trip to be "summer in the north, winter in the south".)
By the time I got to Texas, it was December, and the locals told me that the worst of the storm season (Oct) was over. That being said, while giving a talk in a pub in Dallas, we got hammered by hail and lightning (worst storm of the trip) with tornado warnings going off, and I was very grateful to be in @Ravioli 's hangar...
I spent the spring in West Virginia, where there was still snow in the mountains in March, but everything was green and lush by May. Working my way back through Kentucky in June/July, it seems I was doing a lot of waiting out storms.

My guess is that trying to predict storms, or predict when the Rockies can be crossed, is a fun statistical exercise, but ultimately just a fun exercise. Build sufficient flexibility into the planning, and you'll be able to wait out storms and wait for a good mountain-crossing day. Nothing will work out as you expect! On my trip, for instance, I soared through the Rockies with relative ease four times, but the one attempt to cross the Appalachians had me stranded for several days waiting for the insane wind to abate.

Three weeks sounds like a tight schedule. My trip logged 84 days of flying, although *many* of these were day trips with friends for lunch, or getting through Canada both to and from... if I count just the days "putting on the miles", say, from Madison around and back to Madison again, it was more like 35-40 flying days. But also I was taking my time, and exploring and visiting friends, stopping a lot of extra places, and only flying a couple of hours most of those days. No so much going for mileage each day, as it sounds like you'll be. Beware fatigue; exploring unfamiliar places and unfamiliar weather requires more mental energy. I could last about six flying days in a row before I needed a day off or two.

My trip was, I would say, the most fun I've had in my entire life... adventure and exploration in one of its purest forms. HAVE FUN!

Thanks for all the info, Kath! I will be pouring over your blog for the next few days. I hadn't considered the idea of mental fatigue and needing to take a break from flying. I think that will be a very real thing with me.

While I didn't do all 48 in one go, I did 18 or 19 states in 12 days in a PA28. Limited my flying per day

Day 1 MI => SD (2 stops, IA, NE)
Day 2 SD => MT (1 stop, WY)
Day 3 MT => ID (1 stop, MT)
Day 4 ID => WA
Day 5 WA => OR
Day 6 OR => NV (1 stop, OR)
Day 7 NV => AZ (1 stop, CA)
Day 8 AZ => NM (2 stops, UT, CO)
Day 9 NM => OK (2 stops, TX, OK)
Day 10 weathered in OKC
Day 11 OK => IL (1 stop, KS)
Day 12 IL => MI

I think I only did 2 days that were more than 4 hours

The main thing about this kind of trip is being OK with throwing in the towel when necessary. I've been stymied before by weather in the middle of a 600-900 nm trip. It's just an opportunity to RON and explore somewhere new until the next day or so. The reality is that it is VFR something like 90% of the time, so usually just waiting will bring better flying conditions. \

Without IFR capability, you have to be a bit more choosy about the weather you launch into, however. There are lots of days, especially downwind of the Great Lakes, where the weather is ragged MVFR not suitable for comfortable XC, but easily managed IFR, usually by climbing above or between layers for a smooth, safe ride.

Not now! It's pouring rain in western Washington state today.

Have fun next summer!

Flight will be VFR. Altitudes will be in the 5500 to 8500 range for the most part.

Tia
Gary
I’m new to forums and learning. I see your planning a trip and I’m doing the same with my CFI son this March as i am under 500 hr. We plan Montana to gulf coast VFR with about 2.5 hr each stop and 100 kts planned. Hopping to get some insight good FBO and points of interest. We are in R44. Pending weather maybe Florida and a stop in Nashville. Thanks for any thoughts .

Montana flying watch the winds, many days east is fast and West can be a slow ride. Bozeman is on of my favorites, however from the looks of your trip you will experience quite a little mountain flying!

I’m new to forums and learning. I see your planning a trip and I’m doing the same with my CFI son this March as i am under 500 hr. We plan Montana to gulf coast VFR with about 2.5 hr each stop and 100 kts planned. Hopping to get some insight good FBO and points of interest. We are in R44. Pending weather maybe Florida and a stop in Nashville. Thanks for any thoughts .

Montana flying watch the winds, many days east is fast and West can be a slow ride. Bozeman is on of my favorites, however from the looks of your trip you will experience quite a little mountain flying!
That will be quite an adventure in a helicopter! Very cool. Please post a trip report or two.

I fly every week, however need more Airport and nav skills. My son flys for SkyWest and Heli CFI so excited to spend time and
see the south. Please let me know any points of interest or FBO that might be a good stop as we will stop a lot lol.

Back