What is Phillips Type A?

OneCharlieTango

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
OneCharlieTango
For those committed to non-synthetic oils, the choices seem to boil down to single-weight Aeroshell and multi-vis Phillips. But I see there's a Phillips Type A, which appears to be plain, old dinosaur oil just like Aeroshell, but at a lower price.

Is that what it is? Is there some reason straight-weight users tend toward Aero$hell?

I'm aware of the silliness that'll follow a question like this, but I'm naively hoping a fact or two will emerge. :fcross:

Phillips 66 Type A 100AD is a premium, single grade oil designed for opposed piston aircraft engines that call for SAE 50 or Commercial Grade 100 oils. Formulated to provide cleaner engine operation, Type A 100AD has the same high-quality, ashless dispersant (AD) additive chemistry found in X/C aviation oils. The finest petroleum mineral base oils help lower oil consumption and protect engines from excessive wear and piston scuffing. It also provides excellent corrosion protection.Type A 100AD may be used for a quick and clean break-in and for continued use right to TBO.

From Sky geek description

Since you got your serious answer, here's mine.
It is the beta version... It was buggy. Use type C final iteration.

Then why does anyone use Aeroshell W100? It costs significantly more for what’s apparently the same thing.

Is that what it is? Is there some reason straight-weight users tend toward Aero$hell?
Type A is a single grade oil just like the W100. Been around for years. As to why more W100 users, I've found unless an FBO or parts store is listed as a Phillips vendor the Type A availability is less than the availability of the W100. So it's more an availability issue than price.

Phillips Type A is a highly stressed oil. It is also competitive, ambitious, impatient, aggressive, fast talking.

Not to be confused with Phillips Type B, which is more relaxed and non-competitive.

Phillips Type A is a highly stressed oil. It is also competitive, ambitious, impatient, aggressive, fast talking.

Not to be confused with Phillips Type B, which is more relaxed and non-competitive.
And this is why I'm so interested. Someone might know something I don't know, and I can't tolerate that! Type A oil is something I can relate to!

Back