PMA 8000BT troubleshooting question

David Kagey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DMKagey
Question. Just installed my new 8000BT. Flew for the first time today. Linked fine via BT to my iPad running FF. Noticed I didn’t get an audio traffic alert and when I went to Bluetooth, it had disconnected. Anyone else having an issue with the unit doing this? Do you not get any notification when it disconnects? Thanks
UPDATE-Mark from PS Engineering responded AMAZINGLY fast. Impressive. I had unlinked the BT on my Bose headset, but had forgotten to unlink my iPhone from the headset. Sounds like this might have caused the 8000 to disconnect. Fixed that and will check it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
My iPad running ForeFlight gives an audio warning through the PMA 450 if the GDL 51 bluetooth disconnects.

Mine does the same if my FlightStream 210 disconnects. 8000BT folks responded AMAZINGLY quickly and gave me some suggestions. Might have been my phone or my BT Bose headsets that knocked me off.

Only one device can link at a time? Then the second tries and removes the first?

Only one device can link at a time? Then the second tries and removes the first?
So question on this...sorry, I’m learning on the 8000. What happens if I have the 8000 linked to my iPad running FF and then I open my phone and connect for music? I thought it would connect like 8 or 9 devices before it bounced one off. Trying to understand how I can not have it unlink the iPad with FF as it would be the priority. Thanks

So question on this...sorry, I’m learning on the 8000. What happens if I have the 8000 linked to my iPad running FF and then I open my phone and connect for music? I thought it would connect like 8 or 9 devices before it bounced one off. Trying to understand how I can not have it unlink the iPad with FF as it would be the priority. Thanks
I think it can “save” many devices but use one at a time. Just like your car radio. The new PMA450B will do two Bluetooth devices simultaneously. .... but I could be wrong. I have a PMA8000B ....with a 450 on order.

I think it can “save” many devices but use one at a time. Just like your car radio. The new PMA450B will do two Bluetooth devices simultaneously. .... but I could be wrong. I have a PMA8000B ....with a 450 on order.
Thanks. So, you think when I linked my phone to play music, I dropped the iPad with FF? Then how do you play music? Must be something I am missing. Now I wish I might have gotten the 450

Thanks. So, you think when I linked my phone to play music, I dropped the iPad with FF? Then how do you play music? Must be something I am missing. Now I wish I might have gotten the 450
Yes. If you get a 450. Get the B version. The A version only does one at a time. I’m getting an A.

the B has two Bluetooth channels.

you could try and play music from the iPad with the Foreflight going on a single channel.

If you are getting a version that only links one, what is the difference between the 450 and the 8000 then? Understand fancier, but what operational differences. Thanks

I just download a few playlists to Spotify on my iPad. Then I still get the FF alerts and can listen to tunes. That said, if I need to call for a release on my phone, I always just connect my phone straight to my A20 to keep things separate and functioning.

I just download a few playlists to Spotify on my iPad. Then I still get the FF alerts and can listen to tunes. That said, if I need to call for a release on my phone, I always just connect my phone straight to my A20 to keep things separate and functioning.
Thanks. That makes sense now. I think when I connected my iPhone to listen to music, I inadvertently disconnected my iPad and thus FF alerts. Thanks. Appreciate the help

We have two 8000BT both running linking iPad mini 4s and iPhones, never had Bluetooth disconnect that I’m aware of.

Mark said with the 8000BT, you can’t use both an iPad and an iPhone at the same time. Somehow the iPhone has priority over the iPad and it disconnects the iPad, thus losing FF and any audio alerts.

What are you doing with your 8000BT when you get your 450B, I could be interested? I currently have a G 340.

What are you doing with your 8000BT when you get your 450B, I could be interested? I currently have a G 340.
It was exchanged.....sorry.

....you didn't want it anyways. It didn't have Bluetooth. The 8000B doesn't have Bluetooth.

Back