First Solo XC On the Books!

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
Today, I got to fly my first solo cross-country! Exactly 2 hours on the Hobbs. I am absolutely exhausted now and it will probably take several days to fully process everything I learned from it. :D

Getting ready to go - got my sectional and my flight plan all ready. I need to add a pen holder to my kneeboard as I lost my pen somewhere under the seat by the time I'd taken off.
IMG_20201010_111931143_HDR.jpg

I started with a soft-field takeoff (from the grass runway that is really as hard as the concrete, just a little more bumpy...), and then climbed up through the extremely bumpy air, and thankfully found some smooth flying above 3,000'. Somehow, I managed to screw up the GPS which I had intended to set as a back-up nav, so I flew the entire way out solely via sectional chart. Of course, while I was messing with the GPS, I lost track of exactly where I was. I was somewhere over the middle-of-nowhere Iowa, but I knew I hadn't deviated off of my heading, so I just continued flying straight until I could match the landmarks I could see on the ground with the chart. Once I got to my destination, I had to descend back down to the not-so-smooth air. Traffic pattern altitude was not a nice place to fly today! I made it down, though the landing was less than pretty, and parked. I think 444 was very happy to go somewhere besides the home base traffic pattern. ;)
IMG_20201010_114535607.jpg

I had to taxi around this beauty to get to parking:
IMG_20201010_115233914.jpg

After I got my return trip planned out with the current winds, I quickly got back in the air. I'd been planning on grabbing something to eat, but the wind was picking up and I did not want to be stuck there! The way back was much simpler than the way there - I didn't screw the GPS up this time, and although I barely used it, it was still nice to know I could if I needed to. I trimmed to hands-free flight, and took some pictures on the way back. It was a beautiful day.
IMG_20201010_125711230_HDR.jpg

It kind of looks like a screenshot of a flight simulator, though, but it isn't. Here's my first in-flight selfie to prove that even though it looked like a flight simulator up there, it wasn't. ;)
IMG_20201010_125731135_HDR.jpg

And almost home!
IMG_20201010_130507193_HDR.jpg

The winds had gotten pretty sporty while I was gone, but I made a decent landing. I was unimpressed with it, but my instructor said it looked pretty good so it must not have been too bad.

It was a learning experience for sure - flying to an unfamiliar airport by yourself 65 NM away is a lot different than buzzing around familiar terrain! Plus, the airport I flew to was much, much busier than my home base. I need to fly to some more busy airports so I get used to flying with other planes around... On the way out, the workload felt huge and almost insurmountable, despite the fact that even when flying with my instructor, I handle everything. Despite all my attempts to pretend my instructor is just a passenger during dual flights, obviously I still unconsciously think of her as a safety net. LOL Thankfully, I was more confident on the way back and it wasn't such a big deal. It helped that I didn't screw up the GPS or anything stupid like that. ;)

Now, I need to finish planning my long solo cross country and knock that out, too. The finish line is in sight. :)

That should be a real confidence boost for you, and you clearly demonstrated sound ADM! As you get more experience, it will become easier. Fly XC - to go someplace is why I got my PPL.

Congrats

I did mine Wednesday

200 miles and 2.3 hours

it’s a great feeling

My first solo cross country is when I really began to feel like a pilot. Congratulations!

“Wait, you can GO places with this thing?” That first cross-country as PIC is something special. Nobody else is in the plane to catch or correct your mistakes. And that’s why a silent instructor still feels different than an empty seat: When the instructor is quiet, you know that you are doing okay. When there’s nobody riding along, only you can judge how you’re doing. Keep learning, keep flying, and keep having fun.

Everybody always talks about remembering their first solo, but for me it was the first solo xc that was the highlight. I had explored everything within 25mi of my home airport; it felt so good to be unleashed. I still love to have a mission....a destination.

Congratulations.... you're almost there!

Congratulations! I'm sure you have already realized that you should get as much as possible set up on the ground, including radios and GPS. Keep us posted on the rest of your XC's.

Thanks, guys. :) I think I'm going to remember a lot of moments from training, but this one is definitely in the top five! I was actually a bit nervous about this flight, so it definitely felt like a bigger deal to me than my first solo (which I wasn't nervous about. It was just landings! LOL).

Congratulations! I'm sure you have already realized that you should get as much as possible set up on the ground, including radios and GPS. Keep us posted on the rest of your XC's.

I did have it set up on the ground before run-up. Near as I can figure, I must have bumped some button when I double-checked the weather frequencies I'd put in since I had to put my hand up there to shade it from the sun to read what the radio said. I wasn't planning on using it for my primary nav, so I didn't check it like I should have. There's always something a person could have done better! :)

Today, I got to fly my first solo cross-country! Exactly 2 hours on the Hobbs. I am absolutely exhausted now and it will probably take several days to fully process everything I learned from it. :D

Getting ready to go - got my sectional and my flight plan all ready. I need to add a pen holder to my kneeboard as I lost my pen somewhere under the seat by the time I'd taken off.
IMG_20201010_111931143_HDR.jpg

I started with a soft-field takeoff (from the grass runway that is really as hard as the concrete, just a little more bumpy...), and then climbed up through the extremely bumpy air, and thankfully found some smooth flying above 3,000'. Somehow, I managed to screw up the GPS which I had intended to set as a back-up nav, so I flew the entire way out solely via sectional chart. Of course, while I was messing with the GPS, I lost track of exactly where I was. I was somewhere over the middle-of-nowhere Iowa, but I knew I hadn't deviated off of my heading, so I just continued flying straight until I could match the landmarks I could see on the ground with the chart. Once I got to my destination, I had to descend back down to the not-so-smooth air. Traffic pattern altitude was not a nice place to fly today! I made it down, though the landing was less than pretty, and parked. I think 444 was very happy to go somewhere besides the home base traffic pattern. ;)
IMG_20201010_114535607.jpg

I had to taxi around this beauty to get to parking:
IMG_20201010_115233914.jpg

After I got my return trip planned out with the current winds, I quickly got back in the air. I'd been planning on grabbing something to eat, but the wind was picking up and I did not want to be stuck there! The way back was much simpler than the way there - I didn't screw the GPS up this time, and although I barely used it, it was still nice to know I could if I needed to. I trimmed to hands-free flight, and took some pictures on the way back. It was a beautiful day.
IMG_20201010_125711230_HDR.jpg

It kind of looks like a screenshot of a flight simulator, though, but it isn't. Here's my first in-flight selfie to prove that even though it looked like a flight simulator up there, it wasn't. ;)
IMG_20201010_125731135_HDR.jpg

And almost home!
IMG_20201010_130507193_HDR.jpg

The winds had gotten pretty sporty while I was gone, but I made a decent landing. I was unimpressed with it, but my instructor said it looked pretty good so it must not have been too bad.

It was a learning experience for sure - flying to an unfamiliar airport by yourself 65 NM away is a lot different than buzzing around familiar terrain! Plus, the airport I flew to was much, much busier than my home base. I need to fly to some more busy airports so I get used to flying with other planes around... On the way out, the workload felt huge and almost insurmountable, despite the fact that even when flying with my instructor, I handle everything. Despite all my attempts to pretend my instructor is just a passenger during dual flights, obviously I still unconsciously think of her as a safety net. LOL Thankfully, I was more confident on the way back and it wasn't such a big deal. It helped that I didn't screw up the GPS or anything stupid like that. ;)

Now, I need to finish planning my long solo cross country and knock that out, too. The finish line is in sight. :)

BTDT. Now I got this. Around the neck. And spares in a pen holder

_IMG_0978-1.jpg

OUTSTANDING!!!

Congrats, pilot! That first solo xc is when it sinks in that you really are a pilot, capable of flying somewhere on your own. Very well done!

Have you finished your night work? Night xc is fun.

Good gawd its flat there! Congrats on another milestone.

Yeah, I’m wondering what landmarks she could use for pilotage. It all looks the same! Florida is pretty flat, but there are lots of lakes, rivers, highways, etc., for navigation.

Yeah, I’m wondering what landmarks she could use for pilotage. It all looks the same! Florida is pretty flat, but there are lots of lakes, rivers, highways, etc., for navigation.
I have a friend who’s a very accomplished pilot who learned to fly in Oklahoma but moved to Florida later. He says pilots trained in Florida should have “can’t navigate” stamped on their cert. His claim is you can’t really get lost because if you climb a little you’ll see one coast or the other.

I have a friend who’s a very accomplished pilot who learned to fly in Oklahoma but moved to Florida later. He says pilots trained in Florida should have “can’t navigate” stamped on their cert. His claim is you can’t really get lost because if you climb a little you’ll see one coast or the other.

Very true. The last time I took off from Crystal River I could already see Lake Apopka by the time I reached 3000’.

Pretty hard to get seriously lost around here, but easy to get bewildered just enough to stumble into a Bravo or Charlie or Delta without realizing it. Lots of controlled airspace in the middle of the state.

I forget where skychaser is, but the first checkpoint on my xc for my checkride was a large grain elevator. It was the only thing around...

I fly out of north-central Iowa. Navigation out here is an exercise in triangulation. One of the longest parts of planning a xc is trying to find checkpoints! One of my checkpoints yesterday was literally - there's a town over there, and a bunch of windmills over there, and a creek running east west over there, and I'm supposed to be flying through the approximate midpoint between them. Basically, you find the most unique combination of man-made roads and towns (and yes, grain elevators!) and natural stuff like creeks and hope you don't mistake the road where the creek crosses at a 45* angle for the one where it crosses at a 65* angle. ;)

BTW - someone invented a very handy pen holder for your shirt. It’s called a “pocket” and someday it will be all the rage.

:D

Would you tell the designers of women's clothes about it?! Whatever genius that decided women never *use* their pockets should have been fired BEFORE the entire industry was ruined by decorative pockets the size of a pinhead or the entire lack of pockets. I think the one thing men nowadays still have advantage over women in is the size of their pockets. LOL

I think my night xc is possibly next weekend. We were talking about doing the night xc on Friday night, and then my long solo xc on Sunday, but it's all depending on weather and all that, of course. It's handy, though, because with the timing, I could take off at 7:30pm and still take off an hour after sunset. About the only time I don't mind the early sun-down, though!

True enough about the airspace. I fly out of KORL. I live it.

Nicely done! Luv the pictures too. :thumbsup:
You're having fun, and it comes through in your posts. And that's what it's all about.

I fly out of north-central Iowa. Navigation out here is an exercise in triangulation. One of the longest parts of planning a xc is trying to find checkpoints! One of my checkpoints yesterday was literally - there's a town over there, and a bunch of windmills over there, and a creek running east west over there, and I'm supposed to be flying through the approximate midpoint between them. Basically, you find the most unique combination of man-made roads and towns (and yes, grain elevators!) and natural stuff like creeks and hope you don't mistake the road where the creek crosses at a 45* angle for the one where it crosses at a 65* angle. ;)

On my first time flying my first airplane, a Cherokee, to Oshkosh I got lost over Minnesota. This was during my pre-GPS days. After successfully navigating from the Rockies over the flatlands, I made the mistake of thinking Minnesota would be easy with all the lakes. Let your attention wander to do some sightseeing, and pretty soon you're spotting 4 or 5 lakes that look just like the one you think you should be approaching. :eek: :confused:
Garmin introduced a little hand-held aviation GPS with a monochrome screen at the show. I bought one before starting the 1200 nm trip home.

Would you tell the designers of women's clothes about it?! Whatever genius that decided women never *use* their pockets should have been fired BEFORE the entire industry was ruined by decorative pockets the size of a pinhead or the entire lack of pockets. I think the one thing men nowadays still have advantage over women in is the size of their pockets. LOL

I think my night xc is possibly next weekend. We were talking about doing the night xc on Friday night, and then my long solo xc on Sunday, but it's all depending on weather and all that, of course. It's handy, though, because with the timing, I could take off at 7:30pm and still take off an hour after sunset. About the only time I don't mind the early sun-down, though!

I made a few calls and told them for you. Based on your need and my powers of persuasion, they designed this for you.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilo...MI8K-5wves7AIViZWzCh2vlAa_EAQYASABEgJ8IfD_BwE

It actually comes with two pockets, so they took me seriously!

You go ! It's truly that freeing experience to go off on your own (as you know). Other milestones are your first overnight trip someplace and then the first time you go flying alone IFR into IMC. I still kinda go neener neener I'm going flying and you can't when I do that. :p:D

When did night cross country become a thang for PPL. I don't remember one. Dug out my logbook from back then and there wasn't one in there. Except maybe a flight where I went to 3 airports besides departure. All within a 15 mile radius of departure. Longest possible leg could have only been 17 miles. Does that count nowadays?

I don't know when it became a requirement, but I have to have 3 hours dual night flight, including at least one 100nm xc and 10 TO and landings that include a flight in the traffic pattern.

Reminds me of when I rented a C172 at Yingling Aero to fly to SW Oklahoma. First, its amazingly flat: emergency landing spots everywhere. Second, you can navigate cardinal directions by the roads. They are mostly aligned with township parcels, NS and EW. The NS roads jog every so many miles as longitude narrows them to the north. The EW ones are straight for miles. Beautiful to fly over.

I wear a lot of pocket less shirts but all my pens have clips and I always have 2 clipped to the collar and one in the knee board :)

Fancy pants. I stopped by the supermarket, asked the meat counter for a piece of butcher's twine, tied one end to my pen and then tied the other end to my kneeboard.

Lol, that and some duct tape and you are good! I've had mine over 2 years now, how long do yours last? I'm not knocking it, but I find when these things fail it's usually at the least convenient time.

Still no in-flight fires or missing engines. We talked about how you're supposed to tell stories.

I am dissapoint. :( ;)

Still no in-flight fires or missing engines. We talked about how you're supposed to tell stories.

I am dissapoint. :( ;)

Well, of course not! She was solo! Everyone knows fires and engine failures and so on are caused by having a CFI along. Airplanes are much more reliable without an instructor in the right seat.

;)

Back