Old Guy, New Pilot, New Member

I flew into Ocala (KOCF) yesterday. It is a class D. About 15 miles out I saw a small Cessna ahead of me at the same altitude, so I did a 360 to give us some separation. Two other foreign speaking tents called in 10 miles North West wanting to do T&Gs. I then radioed my position and intentions with Ocala tower. I was told to report a 2 mile and plan a left downwind for 36. About that time the two foreigners report 2 miles South West of the field. ATC was not happy with them at all. He again asked their position, and could not get a straight answer. Tower radioed me back and told me to NOT enter HIS airspace. I tended to agree with him as I had no idea what the foreigners were doing. I circled back out just before entering the airspace and listened to the fiasco going on. He eventually told me to enter and DO NOT miss my call at 2 miles out. Yes sir. Lol. I made my call, he calmed down and eventually became more pleasant at least to me. He had one of the other pilots park the plane and contact him by phone.

so, what would happen to the foreigner? Written up? Warning?
That would alarm the living .....out of me! Although, just did some training in Northern Oregon, and they have LOTS of Chinese students there. Their method of learning they are accustomed to, I've read and been told (maybe incorrectly, but) is more to memorize things and Contextual learning is later. My CFI said that the fellows that he had taught could be a bit frustrating, as they memorize their radio calls and don't really understand what they are saying completely, and certainly not WHY if pressed. (yes, clearly not all, but can be a cultural thing). Now, given that, here's to having the balls to go to china and try to learn to fly in Cantonese, so these boys are smarter than I am, but.....that may explain why they were not getting a "straight answer". with my wet behind the ears state in training, even I have a damned hard time being sure the controller is really speaking English with the fast speech and all the abbreviated pilot speak.

Gregory. More to see after of course but I found the transition pretty easy actually. As others have said as long as you are ahead of the aircraft. When things do go bad they multiply in a hurry.

Bonanza is all about the numbers. Well maybe all planes are?? The plane is stabile and handles great. It is just faster. Narrow short runways seem more narrow and shorter st first

Gregory. More to see after of course but I found the transition pretty easy actually. As others have said as long as you are ahead of the aircraft. When things do go bad they multiply in a hurry.

Bonanza is all about the numbers. Well maybe all planes are?? The plane is stabile and handles great. It is just faster. Narrow short runways seem more narrow and shorter st first
Kenny,
Are you enjoying your Bonanza? Any regrets? Advice for someone that wants to buy as well? For instance, are you happy with the engine in your model?

Gregory

i have no regrets. It is not cheap but well worth the cost, at least to me. Advice to buy? Buy your last plane first. When I started looking cost of insurance was a big factor. Ultimately I decided paying a higher insurance premium was more cost effective than trading up 2-3 times

I finally am IFR rated! 1-4-22. Awfully proud that is behind me. Old dog, new tricks.
Thanks. I need the inspiration. 61 in May this year, and I’m taking the IFR checkride in a week and a half. This is as hard if not harder than my PPL I got 2 years ago. Worth it? Absolutely.

At this point it’s not “Yeah!” but “Are we there yet?”

BTW - working the GTN, good; flying LPV, good; ILS, good. Hardest part? VOR Which I’ll probably never use.

Last edited:
WDD, good luck on the checkride. The only advice I can offer is take your time. I flew 3 approaches back to back at the same airport. Between the first and second approaches I almost blew it, as there wasn’t much time between them. After barely getting through the second approach successfully, ATC was vectoring me immediately for a LOC circle to land. Told them I was on an IFR checkride and needed time. Asked to fly runway heading while I did some programming. I flew 8-10 miles while catching my breath, programming and reviewing the approach. Made all the difference to me.

Well Kenny, I read your post from start to finish. What a journey, great accomplishment, good for you!

My story is...I'm 67 yrs old and have ONE amazing flight under my belt. I too will have to scrap with the FAA over a Class3 medical but over a pituitary/hormone issue where the AME was clueless about the med to control the issue, so off the Oklahoma went my application. Sure would have been simpler 20 years ago. What a PITA.

My son (41 yrs) is in the last stages of getting his PPL and talked me into getting into a partnership with him on a plane. We purchased a 1962 Piper Cherokee 160 for $62k and will be splitting the costs. Almost like a barn find...upstate NY, hangered it's whole life, just a couple of owners and the best part 1000 hrs on the airframe and 150 hrs on engine STOH, original beautiful paint and
upholstery.

If nothing else, it is an amazing way to share time and interests with my boy. I'm beyond super excited.

I look at it this way, even if the SHTF and FAA just won't give me a medical, I'm gonna learn and know how to fly. I can train in our own plane and save some $$ there too.

There is nothing better than spending time with the ones you love.

Paul

PPL on 9-11-19
IFR rating on 1-4-22
Almost 700 hours total time.
Continue to learn. It has been a challenge and a blast.
Had a flight to SE Florida a few weeks ago that I couldn’t have taken VFR. First leg was to Ocala and was simple and uneventful although was in the soup some. Next leg was to North Palm Beach (F45) and was a bit more complex. Orlando and restricted areas plus plenty of traffic in the area. Was given a arrival procedure into F45. I repeated and accepted it, then tried to review the charts. First fix was only 10 miles away. At 200 mph that’s not very long. I ended up calling back and told them unable. The procedure is actually pretty simple but I’d never flown one. ATC was accommodating and gracious giving me vectors, but I need to step up my game. A few days later departing F45 I was given a T-route. I understood the routing but could not program the G1000. Again I told them unable and was given different routing. I have since figured out to program airways and look forward to next time I’m given such routing.

My goal is to be able to accept any clearance given. I seem to have the most problems with arrival and departure procedures. CFIs all have said they doubt I’d ever get those and I didn’t ever practice them

licence to learn

Wow. New to your thread just now. Amazing journey! Just under 200hrs a year with a Bonand IR?!!!

You are living the dream. Thanks for the updates.

Wow. Go big or go home! Well done When can I start getting flight lessons from you?

Back