Standard left traffic

Dave S.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
thetexan
Does 91.129’s requirement to comply with 91.126(b)(1) mean that there is a standard left hand pattern for airports in non-Class G with control towers?

tex

§91.123 Compliance with ATC clearances and instructions.
(b) Except in an emergency, no person may operate an aircraft contrary to an ATC instruction in an area in which air traffic control is exercised.

§91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required...

Does 91.129’s requirement to comply with 91.126(b)(1) mean that there is a standard left hand pattern for airports in non-Class G with control towers?

tex

You don’t need to refer back to either 91.127 or 91.126. The answer is yes. 91.129 (f) (1)

Let me clarify.

Here’s an example...

A VFR aircraft has been cleared for touch and go at a Class D primary airport. The plane touches then goes and is now at the point where he needs to turn crosswind. Still no instruction from ATC in the tower. Does the pilot assume that the standard pattern is left traffic and turn to the left crosswind? (There is an absence of any markings or symbols indicating pattern).

Or must the pilot challenge the controller to tell him which way to turn.

Stated a different way... do pilots always assume left traffic in a Class D as the basic standard pattern unless ATC gives instructions to the contrary. Please give the reason

Tex

In the absence of parallel runway OR charted designation of RP, I would assume left traffic unless otherwise instructed.

The instruction would be something like, "cleared touch and go, make right traffic".

@Timbeck2 and @Radar Contact can provide more details, since they are controllers.

Last edited:
Yup, don't turn until you get confirmation from the tower. Unless you are about to fly into a mountain.

Even a Class D has default left or right patterns. My home class D for instance (PAMR) has right traffic on 7 and 16, indicated on the chart and in the Chart Supplement, left traffic by default otherwise.

If I'm doing touch & goes on 25, left traffic is the default, but Tower always specifies which one on the first go, or whenever they want to change from left to right or back again (because sometimes they send planes onto right traffic instead). And if they don't specify, I will always ask, and they will (gladly, it seems) clarify.

You don't need permission to turn crosswind in Class D airspace. Turn when you want and turn left unless otherwise marked or instructed. See and avoid.

The time a tower forgets to tell you which direction to turn is probably one of the most important times to ask as they are probably very busy (lots of traffic) or dealing/worried about someone you probably don't want to turn toward.

CGZ.gif

Why rely on controllers? A pilot's job is to learn everything about a flight and airports of intended landing right? It's right there in the document formerly known as the AF-D. Unless otherwise specified such as runway 23 above, make left traffic. If a tower controller wants something different, they'll tell you.

Why rely on controllers? A pilot's job is to learn everything about a flight and airports of intended landing right? It's right there in the document formerly known as the AF-D. Unless otherwise specified such as runway 23 above, make left traffic. If a tower controller wants something different, they'll tell you.

And any non-standard traffic pattern is right there on the sectional chart now as well: look for notation "RP 23", for example, to make right traffic for RWY 23.

There’s no requirement to get permission from tower to turn downwind and no requirement from tower to issue specific instructions to turn downwind. There are examples given in the controllers handbook such as “make right traffic” but no requirement stating a controller must issue which traffic they’re using if left. It’s assumed left.

So, absence of any controller instruction, I’m turning left downwind on my own. Just like in absence of any clearance on downwind, I’m turning base on my own.

Last edited:
Or must the pilot challenge the controller to tell him which way to turn.
Does the controller know you are remaining in the pattern? If not, request closed traffic. If so, it would be unusual for him to not have already given some instruction. In any case, 91.129(f) - See below.

Even a Class D has default left or right patterns.
Airports with operating control towers do not have "default" patterns -- EVEN IF they always use the the same pattern for a particular runway. The regulation is specific on that. When towered airports have published right traffic it is for when the tower is closed.

91.129 Operations in Class D airspace.
(f) Approaches. Except when conducting a circling approach under part 97 of this chapter or unless otherwise required by ATC, each pilot must -
(1) Circle the airport to the left, if operating an airplane; or
(2) Avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft, if operating a helicopter.

In all cases, don't do anything that might be unexpected. If you are unsure of what to do, ask what they want or request what you want.

FWIW, I've flown both left and right traffic at PDK, but tower also hasn't ever failed to tell me what they want since there's a parallel runway to worry about.

Piggybacking on this, here's an interesting one: KGRR goes class G when the tower is closed. The parallel runways are both traffic pattern left. But if you fly left pattern on the R runways you put yourself right in the face of departing traffic on the L runways. So should you fly right traffic on the R runways and left traffic on the L runways because that's the smart thing to do, or blindly follow the regs?

Piggybacking on this, here's an interesting one: KGRR goes class G when the tower is closed. The parallel runways are both traffic pattern left. But if you fly left pattern on the R runways you put yourself right in the face of departing traffic on the L runways. So should you fly right traffic on the R runways and left traffic on the L runways because that's the smart thing to do, or blindly follow the regs?

And then a helicopter shows up...

You can always check the AFD.

CGZ.gif

Yup. It also has one of them 'segmented circle traffic pattern things.' Got me to wondering if it's a requirement to have 'visual markings' per 91.126 (b) (1) before they can put that in the AF/D or RP on the Sectional. Ain't sayin they should or shouldn't, just wondering. Seems like it might be

A part time Class C. Only other one of those I've seen is Santa Barbara KSBA. GRR goes E, not G. Ok, got a trivia question outta the way. Here's one they make it very clear that the pattern is on the same side for both of the parallels, Compton KCPM. On the Chart, in the AF/D and painted on the airport.

Last edited:
KGRR goes class G when the tower is closed. The parallel runways are both traffic pattern left.
Someone should point that out to the airport manager so that it can be corrected.

Yup. It also has one of them 'segmented circle traffic pattern things.' Got me to wondering if it's a requirement to have 'visual markings' per 91.126 (b) (1) before they can put that in the AF/D or RP on the Sectional.
The regulation makes no mention of the published direction from the sectional or A/FD. The regulation specifies "approved light signals or visual markings" as the determining factor of the traffic pattern direction. If the published guidance does not agree with the visual markets then I'd again suggest bringing this to the attention of the airport manager so that it can be corrected. I've done this twice, over the years, and in both cases the airport manager was unaware of the discrepancy.

Next topic is what are the "approved light signals" to indicate right traffic? In over 30 years of asking, I've yet to find anyone who knows or any documentation that established them.

A part time Class C. Only other one of those I've seen is Santa Barbara KSBA. GRR goes E, not G. Ok, got a trivia question outta the way. Here's one they make it very clear that the pattern is on the same side for both of the parallels, Compton KCPM. On the Chart, in the AF/D and painted on the airport.

They must have changed that in the past few years. When I was going for one of my ratings (last local rating was 2006) it was class G when tower closed. FNT is also E when tower is closed. CMI is class G when closed. Maybe that's my confusion...I had to plan a XC to CMI for one of my ratings...so I might have mixed up GRR (local) and CMI (planned).

Next topic is what are the "approved light signals" to indicate right traffic? In over 30 years of asking, I've yet to find anyone who knows or any documentation that established them.
A light in the segmented circle is an archaic way of indicating right traffic is in effect. I''ve never seen one in forty years of flying. I think it went out about the same time as flying triangular patterns for radio failure.

Last edited:
They must have changed that in the past few years. When I was going for one of my ratings (last local rating was 2006) it was class G when tower closed. FNT is also E when tower is closed. CMI is class G when closed. Maybe that's my confusion...I had to plan a XC to CMI for one of my ratings...so I might have mixed up GRR (local) and CMI (planned).

Dang. Part time Class C's are all over the place. KSPI is another. Don't even make a decent trivia question anymore. Except CMI which goes to G. All the others seem to go E

Dang. Part time Class C's are all over the place. KSPI is another. Don't even make a decent trivia question anymore. Except CMI which goes to G. All the others seem to go E
That's like TRSAs. I thought they were common as we have MBS MKG and AZO around here. I didn't realize there's only like 8 in the whole country. OK 8 is just a guess, but I can only think of 2 others.

A light in the segmented circle is an archaic way of indicating right traffic is in effect.
How would that light be different from the light which lights the segmented circle at night? And, how would it indicate which runway(s) is right traffic?

Nothing I've ever found in writing describing what that light would be yet it still remains in the regulation. If it's still a standard, they should put it (back?) into the AIM. If not, remove it from the reg.

Lots of good answers.

here’s the question again...this time more succinctly.

Is left traffic the standard default regulatory VFR pattern at an ATC controlled Class D primary airport? And if so what rule defines that?

tex

Is left traffic the standard default regulatory VFR pattern at an ATC controlled Class D primary airport? And if so what rule defines that?
Yes.

(f) Approaches. Except when conducting a circling approach under part 97 of this chapter or unless otherwise required by ATC, each pilot must -

That's like TRSAs. I thought they were common as we have MBS MKG and AZO around here. I didn't realize there's only like 8 in the whole country. OK 8 is just a guess, but I can only think of 2 others.
According to Wikipedia, there are about 30. Im not going to check on them, but there are 5 in the NC, GA, TN area and I know of another 6 in the NY/PA area.

Lots of good answers.

here’s the question again...this time more succinctly.

tex

Yes. 91.129 (f) (1) Did something happen? Are you in a pizzin match with the the Tower?

Yes.

what about 91.126b1?

what about 91.126b1?

You could throw that in there but it's not necessary. Yeah, 91.129 starts out with you must comply with 91.127 and 91.126. But 91.129 covers it explicitly itself. Here is some supporting information from the 7110.65, the controllers gospel.

3−10−1. LANDING INFORMATION
Provide current landing information, as appropriate, to arriving aircraft. Landing information contained in the ATIS broadcast may be omitted if the pilot states the appropriate ATIS code. Runway, wind, and altimeter may be omitted if a pilot uses the phrase “have numbers.” Issue landing information by including the following:
NOTE−
Pilot use of “have numbers” does not indicate receipt of the ATIS broadcast.
a. Specific traffic pattern information (may be omitted if the aircraft is to circle the airport to the left).

I did the bold underlining.

what about 91.126b1?
91.126(b) applies "When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower...".

If there is an operating control tower then 91.126(b)(1) & (2) does not apply.

91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace -
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right; and

Back