How not to go to the hangar

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Probably posted before, if so ignore

I saw this last night. The CFI who signed him off needs to talk to the FAA. This guy could have killed himself.

Yeah if he had enough energy to get off of the ground, a stall spin was probably happening next

I saw this last night. The CFI who signed him off needs to talk to the FAA. This guy could have killed himself.

The airplane has a Canadian tail number.

I have no idea what that clown was thinking. He sure was calm, though.

surprised he survived from the blunt force trauma of impacting the panel. Lots of hard surfaces in the cockpit to crush soft tissue.

Last edited:
I don't think he realized what was really happening until "OH S__T I'm going to hit" came to his brain... That was Scary Crazy!

I have no idea what that clown was thinking. He sure was calm, though.

I noticed the same thing. Resigned to his fate? Convinced he's gonna make it, right until the end?

Appears as though it took him a while to figure out he should close the wide open throttle. Maybe he thought he was in the off-road 4X4 version of the 172?

That attempt near the end to steer to the right with the ailerons (to avoid the hangar), as though he's driving a car, was not only perversely humorous but seems to confirm he really doesn't know what the rudder pedals are for...and that is probably why & how it all started way back on the runway in the first place.

What really amazes me is he didn't destroy that footage at his first opportunity. I would have if I kludged it up that hard.

Appears as though it took him a while to figure out he should close the wide open throttle. Maybe he thought he was in the off-road 4X4 version of the 172?

That attempt near the end to steer to the right with the ailerons (to avoid the hangar), as though he's driving a car, was not only perversely humorous but seems to confirm he really doesn't know what the rudder pedals are for...and that is probably why & how it all started way back on the runway in the first place.

At least he had full elevator back to protect the nosewheel while taxiing on grass :)

Not sure why he veered right when he added full power, usually you veer left.

He turned the yoke 180 degrees. I didn't think it could go that far. He must have broke it.

Where are the pictures of the crash site? I never found any.

Yeah if he had enough energy to get off of the ground, a stall spin was probably happening next
I think he was trying to land, not take off.

edit:
Nevermind, I had my sound off. I didn't realize he put the power back in for a go around, yikes.

Last edited:
I saw this when it was first released. I'm extremely confused about the pilot's actions; if there was no response to hard left rudder, pull the throttle!

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/240700

Same airport. Same flight school. Similar incident. 2 tore up planes. Student pilot and instructor 6 days later.

"An instructor and a student took off in a Cessna 172M Skyhawk, registration C-GWYC, when the engine began to lose power. The instructor took control and found the engine was not responding. Low, slow and with built-up areas surrounding the airfield, he attempted to land in a nearby field; however The aircraft did not have enough momentum and struck a hill, coming to a rest in a ditch near the road"

Same airport. Same flight school. Similar incident. 2 tore up planes. Student pilot and instructor 6 days later.

Dang, that blows my theory ... I'd figure he already had his "event" in aviation and should be safe to fly with ...:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

Dang, that blows my theory ... I'd figure he already had his "event" in aviation and should be safe to fly with ...:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:
I would imagine it was a different student pilot as the first was probably still in the hospital.

Although this video may seem funny now, I think there are some useful things to learn here. It looks like he was doing everything more or less correctly up until the point when the airplane veered to the left when he applied power for a go-around. It also looks like he applied right rudder to correct for the yaw, except he applied too much. His reaction should have been to relax the right rudder and/or reduce throttle to idle. But the surprise element made his primal instincts kick in. He completely let go of the throttle and grabbed the yoke with both hands because that is what someone who drives a car would do. When the hangar was coming up fast, his reaction was to turn the yoke right, as if turning a car. He never reached for the throttle.

Pretty easy to want to hang the instructor, but as an instructor I can tell you its impossible to predict every student's behavior. You can have a student that has excelled in every aspect, only to have a brain fart, helmet fire, whatever you want to call it, and do something dumb. Even I on my multi engine checkride pushed on the wrong rudder pedal initially during a simulated engine out. Couldn't tell you why, brain said left rudder, right leg said ok!

But the surprise element made his primal instincts kick in. He completely let go of the throttle and grabbed the yoke with both hands because that is what someone who drives a car would do. When the hangar was coming up fast, his reaction was to turn the yoke right, as if turning a car. He never reached for the throttle.
I wonder if he stomped on the left pedal with both feet...

One of the comments on the YouTube video was hilarious: "Taxi to parking via direct."

Someone made the comment that he was told when he was finished with the plane to "put it in the hangar" ... so he did!

I've been trying to figure out how he ended up going so sharply right. And everyone's been commenting on how he is 'steering the car', now, this might sound crazy, but what if.. he was pressing on the gas (in the car) to go. As in right rudder, to the floor?

This is the first time I'm learning that 'momentum' is what makes planes fly

honestly, you might be right. Plus, it worked for the L1011 in The Langoliers after all

Not my words. Quote from whatever article I lifted it from. See what I did there?

No shortage of craziness in this video. I'm just glad he lived to tell the tale with only minor injuries.

Quote from whatever article I lifted it from
haha thanks, I was speaking in jest given that media reporting on aviation is often 'lacking' - I've heard more than one person say that the plane will take off once it has "enough momentum" - which shows a poor understanding of what momentum is and how planes actually fly. If I'm going off a ski jump, I'll need momentum to get airborne. A plane does not, generally, depend on 'momentum' to fly..

It’s not what makes airplanes fly but the energy state does matter... sometimes
thanks! also, is the Airbus upside down in the slide?

It's amazing that someone turned loose to solo could be so clueless about the prupose of the controls. That and the inability to respond to bright lights and loud noises during the runway excursion. Maybe there are individuals that just should not try to be pilots.

Back