Dynon DRX

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
I'm giving this device consideration: https://dynonavionics.com/drx-portable-adsb.php

BUT nowhere on the website (that I could find) does it have technical data. It has a quick start guide which is useless. And pretty much that is it. Only some of the few technical questions on their forum are answered. Is Dynon Support for their low end products of any value?

Aircraft Spruce has a Q&A that says it is WiFi connectivity and Adventure pilot says the two play well together.

So, does anyone have experience with this device on Android table and/or with iFly GPS?

It'll work fine with iFlyGPS on an android tablet. It connects via wifi...just make sure your tablet connects to the wifi signal out out by the drx.

As an aside, you can build your own device that does everything that one does, PLUS add an optional AHRS module for attitude backup (also supported by iFlyGPS) for less than half the price of the Dynon unit. It literally takes about 10 minutes to assemble, and maybe another 15 minutes to download and install the software onto a microsd card. If you read the info on the Dynon site, it even says "Wi-Fi Connectivity to Most Aviation Apps.....Any app that supports “Stratux” type devices." This is just a commercially produced Stratux (that's the name of the DIY version), for the most part.

I've been flying with a Stratux I built for two years, and it's performed flawlessly. I also built one for an A&P who was impressed with it, and have also built one for someone who always had trouble with his Stratus adsb receiver.

There's lots of info out there, but if you're interested or have any specific questions I'd be happy to help. The Dynon will work, but it's not necessary to spend that much for the same capability (or more).

It'll work fine with iFlyGPS on an android tablet. It connects via wifi...just make sure your tablet connects to the wifi signal out out by the drx.

As an aside, you can build your own device that does everything that one does, PLUS add an optional AHRS module for attitude backup (also supported by iFlyGPS) for less than half the price of the Dynon unit. It literally takes about 10 minutes to assemble, and maybe another 15 minutes to download and install the software onto a microsd card. If you read the info on the Dynon site, it even says "Wi-Fi Connectivity to Most Aviation Apps.....Any app that supports “Stratux” type devices." This is just a commercially produced Stratux (that's the name of the DIY version), for the most part.

I've been flying with a Stratux I built for two years, and it's performed flawlessly. I also built one for an A&P who was impressed with it, and have also built one for someone who always had trouble with his Stratus adsb receiver.

There's lots of info out there, but if you're interested or have any specific questions I'd be happy to help. The Dynon will work, but it's not necessary to spend that much for the same capability (or more).

Thanks for the detailed info. I will look into Stratux.

Stratux is a great setup. I did the full build for mine as well, though I never have bothered with the AHRS setup. That Dynon seems to be a nice piece of hardware, though, especially since the battery is built into the case so there are no velcro straps holding it on.

Stratux is a great setup. I did the full build for mine as well, though I never have bothered with the AHRS setup. That Dynon seems to be a nice piece of hardware, though, especially since the battery is built into the case so there are no velcro straps holding it on.

The all-in-one design and easily visible status lights are a plus, granted. I've attached a pic of one of the ones I build. The battery remains attached all of the time and the power cable is built into the battery. When I fly, I grab it from my flight bag, stick it on the window behind my head, turn it on by plugging the attached cable to the power port, and go fly. After the flight, take it off the window, throw it back in my flight bag, and charge it at home (if necessary...battery lasts for a very long time... several one or two hour flights). No fiddling with straps or cords or cases. Love the thing. Best $167 I've ever spent on aviation.20201003_103553.jpg

Last edited:
I will vote for the dynon. Not sure why but I have experienced trouble with 2 stratux boxes. Sometimes it just fails to get traffic. Currently it's working, at least the last few times I have used it... If the op wants to save money, I will sell him my stratux at half the cost of the dynon and buy the dynon myself.

The all-in-one design and easily visible status lights are a plus, granted. I've attached a pic of the one of the ones I build. The battery remains attached all of the time and the power cable is built inti the battery. When I fly, I grab it from my flight bag, stick it on the window behind my head, turn it on by plugging the attached cable to the power port, and go fly. After the flight, take it off the window, throw it back in my flight bag, and charge it at home (if necessary...battery lasts for a very long time... several one or two hour flights). No fiddling with straps or cords or cases. Love the thing. Best $167 I've ever spent on aviation.View attachment 90729

Same setup I have. Love it, too.

Happy to help. Here's a link to probably the clearest, nongeek-friendly build guide.... there's a ton out there, some of them make it sound way more complicated than it is, others have completely unnecessary or excessively expensive things on the "shopping list,"....this one pretty much gets it right...

https://singleenginepilot.com/build-your-own-ads-b-in-receiver/

Followed the link, looks simple enough. [Edit added] Looks easier than IKEA furniture.

Last edited:
I bought the Dynon (I use FlyQ) - it is smaller, lighter than other Stratux units. The battery lasts 8+ hours. Never a problem, even though I live in the desert, it never overheats - although the fan does run all the time.

Followed the link, looks simple enough. [Edit added] Looks easier than IKEA furniture.
It is...much. A couple things...heed the note re/ NOT using the Pi 3B+ motherboard. I tried it... doesn't work. Make sure you order the regular Pi 3B board .....no "+."
Also, the article to which I linked recommends buying a microSd card loaded with thr Stratux software. This is not necessary... yoi can download the software freely from the Stratux site and burn it onto any spare micro Sd card (8g recommended, IIRC) you have lying around.

I do recommend the official "Stratux" case..it comes with a fan. The GPYes module with internal antenna works fine for me...have yet to lose a waas gps lock while suction cupped to the window just behind my head in our Cherokee. I'd also recommend going for the AHRS module...it doesn't add significant expense or complexity to the project, it includes a controller for the case's internal fan, and even if you don't think you'll ever use the AHRS functions it's still good to have a backup and plus... it adds to the cool and fun factors. Plus, the Dynon doesn't have one......phtphtphtpt....;).

The only issue I’ve had with my stratux is I had to replace one of the antennas as it cross threaded and tweaked the coax jack in the housing. Ordered a set of the Crewdog antennas off amazon and haven’t had any issues since.

Back