Garmin 530W /Foreflight /Stratus 2

CaptVernDemerest

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CaptVernDemerest
Hi, new here and sure it's been covered but haven't run across it, yet. I have been away from aviation since 03' and GA since 89', wow have things changed. Started flying again early this year and hooked enough I recently bought a plane. Now for the Q:
I got a new IPad for Foreflight, odd, my 2012 version didn't cut it. Foreflight suggests Stratus as a way for traffic and WX. In the plane I plan to install a GNS 530W, right now the panel looks like it did when I left GA in 89'. Is all this more than I need and redundant? Will the GNS 530W make Stratus not needed? Thanks All

Welcome to PoA. What transponder is in the plane?

Thanks, I honestly don't know I haven't brought the plane home yet. It's in a odd place though, below and left of the yoke.

I have a 430w was adsb in and out with XM weather. The traffic will show on my 430w.
I use the iPad with stratus in plane as well. For me it’s not a primary resource but handy at times. I like to take when I safety pilot in another plane. Quite handy to have the iPad with foreflight in plane when flying IFR and you get a change in your flight plan and need to look up waypoints as my 430w won’t take victor airways in plan

I have a 430w was adsb in and out with XM weather. The traffic will show on my 430w.
I use the iPad with stratus in plane as well. For me it’s not a primary resource but handy at times. I like to take when I safety pilot in another plane. Quite handy to have the iPad with foreflight in plane when flying IFR and you get a change in your flight plan and need to look up waypoints as my 430w won’t take victor airways in plan

Thanks for the insight, I was reaching the point of "I'm over thinking this" guess I'm not.

My answer is you might want to rethink installing a GN530W if you don’t already have ADSB out and fly in an area where it’s required. For a little more money, you maybe able to get ADSB out and in plus a GPS in a far more modern box such as the Garmin GNX 375. I have a GNS530W and while I like it, it is older technology and and doesn’t solve the ADSB issue for you.

My answer is you might want to rethink installing a GN530W if you don’t already have ADSB out and fly in an area where it’s required. For a little more money, you maybe able to get ADSB out and in plus a GPS in a far more modern box such as the Garmin GNX 375. I have a GNS530W and while I like it, it is older technology and and doesn’t solve the ADSB issue for you.

It has ADSB out. I'm 11mi from KIAH so we are under class B. The avionics guy I talked too quickly tried to convince me I needed a GTN 750, umm no.

The problem is the gns 430/530 are no longer supported. So they are tempting as prices alphabetical dropped but so has support if it craps the bed. You always go Avidyne route for similar ease of use. I have 430w now and the is the plan when it craps out i think

Bring it home, verify what's in the panel and fly it for a bit before you make any decisions. If the transponder you have already has ADS-B in you won't need the Stratus box. Stratus is for ADS-B In only and can't legally be hooked up to an in-panel GPS display, though it works great with your Ipad and Foreflight. Dynon, Garmin, probably a couple others also make ADS-B In portable receivers or you can build your own with Stratux if you're into building stuff yourself, and they'll work just fine with Foreflight.

I wouldn't do a fresh install of a 530W. Too old for what it is. If you just need the GPS, you could go for the Garmin GPS 175, likely for a bit less than what you could get a 530W for. GNC 355 if you need to add a comm, 375 if you need a transponder instead. Yeah the 750 is a sweet bit of kit but sounds like it's way more than you need at the moment.

Hi, new here and sure it's been covered but haven't run across it, yet. I have been away from aviation since 03' and GA since 89', wow have things changed. Started flying again early this year and hooked enough I recently bought a plane. Now for the Q:
I got a new IPad for Foreflight, odd, my 2012 version didn't cut it. Foreflight suggests Stratus as a way for traffic and WX. In the plane I plan to install a GNS 530W, right now the panel looks like it did when I left GA in 89'. Is all this more than I need and redundant? Will the GNS 530W make Stratus not needed? Thanks All

Welcome, and congrats on the new bird!

Without knowing what the plane has for ADS-B, it's hard to know what to recommend. Can you find out what transponder it has, and if the transponder isn't the ADS-B source, what it has for ADS-B? That will make it much easier to give you good information.

I concur with @flyer770 that a fresh install of a 530W is not a great choice at this point. It is likely that Garmin will only be able to support them for a couple more years, at which point any problem you have with it turns it into a really expensive boat anchor. If you already had one I wouldn't suggest pulling it out, but for a new install you're looking at $3K-$5K just in install costs, so you want to have something that's going to last you a good long time.

You certainly don't need a GTN 750 (though that is what I have now! :eek: ) but you should take a look at the GTN 650 and/or, depending on what else is in the panel, some of Garmin's other new navigators that have additional functions (GNX 375, GNC 355) or the budget GPS 175 if all the other radios in the plane are new-ish and in good shape, as all of them (for clarity, NOT the GTN 650) are designed to fit where a KLN 89B, KLN 94, or Apollo GX-series used to be (and I'm guessing you may have one of those, given your "1989" description).

If the plane has ADS-B Out but not In, *then* a Stratus is one option to get ADS-B traffic and weather into ForeFlight. Sentry and Scout are more budget-priced options.

Hope this helps a little... Send us a pic of the panel or a list of what's in it and we can help more! :)

Welcome, and congrats on the new bird!QUOTE]

Thank you, Appreciate the input. The plane is a 74 C 310Q, it has a couple of KNS 155, the original Cessna ADF, KLN87 or 89B, Argus 7000, and a transponder of unknown origin. ADSB out is through one of those nav light tail mounts. I guess my draw to the 530 was the larger screen area and it would do what I need it to do. I did some training in a plane with a 430, worked well enough but it was hard for me to see (getting old sucks BTW) and the 530 prices didn't seem that bad once you see the price tag on a 750. I really hadn't thought much about the potential of a boat anchor, I don't need a boat. My good panel pics were too big hopefully these will fit. The transponder is barely in the frame under the stby AI. Thanks again!69951-7.jpg 69951-8.jpg

Wow, a Cessna ARC 400 transponder. That’s not something I’ve seen in ages. I’m impressed that it’s still working. Be ready to put in a 375 or similar if it suddenly dies on you.

Have you priced out the first generation GTN 750s on the used market? Garmin introduced the next generation ones and the first ones are popping up as some owners are upgrading to get the latest and greatest. Also look at the Avidyne 540, same size as the 530W but somewhat bigger and definitely a higher resolution screen.

Ha ha, I knew someone here would know what that transponder was. I really haven't looked at the used 750 market, guess it's worth looking into. I'm seeing 530's w/ an 8130 in the low 6k and without in the 4k and the average being around 9k. Without may be to much of a gamble. I got a quote from Sarasota today $7800 for the unit and $4100 install. I'll look at the 650 and 750 used markets as well as what Avidine may have. Thanks

Ha ha, I knew someone here would know what that transponder was. I really haven't looked at the used 750 market, guess it's worth looking into. I'm seeing 530's w/ an 8130 in the low 6k and without in the 4k and the average being around 9k. Without may be to much of a gamble. I got a quote from Sarasota today $7800 for the unit and $4100 install. I'll look at the 650 and 750 used markets as well as what Avidine may have. Thanks

The used GTN750 can be had for $10K. As a fellow 310Q owner, I would get rid of the ADF box and put a Garmin 375 in the stack. I’d also put in two G5’s and call it good providing those KX155’s work fine. If they don’t, the GTR255 com/Nav and GTR 225 comm is a great setup.

I got talked out of putting in my 375 to put in a GTN650 and Garmin 345. It’s would up costing more. I love my set up but like all things it went way outside of my budget as the install progressed and the costs seemed to keep increasing. My problem is that my radio displays were shot which meant replacing them.

I’m for keeping it simple. With two G5’s and a 375, you’re set up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmm, project creep. Since we’re talking G5s, I’ll mention that it doesn’t always play well with vintage autopilots. If your 310 has an autopilot, interfacing with a G5 setup might or might not be simple. At worst you may need to reshuffle something in the old ADF indicator hole and not interface the AP with the G5. Still worth it. Yank the old transponder and ADF, put in the 375 and dual G5 setup.

And since we’re creeping your project, consider an improved audio panel from PS Engineering. They make some that are pin compatible with your old KMA24 and the audio quality is significantly better. You won’t be able to use the built in intercom if you use the old rack but that could be done later if desired.

Thank you, Appreciate the input. The plane is a 74 C 310Q, it has a couple of KNS 155, the original Cessna ADF, KLN87 or 89B, Argus 7000, and a transponder of unknown origin. ADSB out is through one of those nav light tail mounts. I guess my draw to the 530 was the larger screen area and it would do what I need it to do. I did some training in a plane with a 430, worked well enough but it was hard for me to see (getting old sucks BTW) and the 530 prices didn't seem that bad once you see the price tag on a 750. I really hadn't thought much about the potential of a boat anchor, I don't need a boat. My good panel pics were too big hopefully these will fit. The transponder is barely in the frame under the stby AI. Thanks again!

There's a couple of huge and important questions remaining:
1) What autopilot does it have, and does it work? That could change everything. If you have more pics and want to email them to me, PM me for the address.
2) How long do you plan to keep this airplane, and what is your budget for avionics upgrades?

There's a "I'm not gonna have it for a long time, I'm not gonna fly much IFR, and I'm gonna repair/replace things as they break" strategy, and there's a "This is my forever plane, I'd rather do some preventive maintenance/upgrades to save myself on costs in the long term, and I want a dependable IFR machine" strategy.

I'm gonna loop back to the original question. Since you mentioned in your original post that you're just getting back into GA and just want a GPS and ADS-B in, the simplest answer will be a GTX 375. Pair with a basic GI-106 or the Mid Continent equivalent (if needed), remove the ADF and old transponder. Put the new indicator in the current Nav 1 spot, move Nav 1 indicator to Nav 2 spot, move Nav 2 to the now vacant ADF indicator spot. Fly this for awhile while you decide if this plane is an interim plane or a lifer plane for you. You'll have a much better idea of what you want on your panel after you get 50 or 100 hours in.

I'm gonna loop back to the original question. Since you mentioned in your original post that you're just getting back into GA and just want a GPS and ADS-B in, the simplest answer will be a GTX 375. Pair with a basic GI-106 or the Mid Continent equivalent (if needed), remove the ADF and old transponder. Put the new indicator in the current Nav 1 spot, move Nav 1 indicator to Nav 2 spot, move Nav 2 to the now vacant ADF indicator spot. Fly this for awhile while you decide if this plane is an interim plane or a lifer plane for you. You'll have a much better idea of what you want on your panel after you get 50 or 100 hours in.

I'm not sure why he'd need a GTX 375. The plane already has ADS-B Out via the TailBeacon, and a presumably-working transponder for now. As long as he's OK getting the weather and traffic on an iPad instead of a panel mounted display, a GPS 175 in place of the KLN 89B plus the use of a Stratus, Sentry, or Scout to get the info onto the iPad would be lower cost with pretty much the same capability (except as already noted, where the stuff is displayed).

That's definitely the "cheap" option, though, and that doesn't always work well with twins when you go to sell, which is part of why I asked the questions I did.

My thinking is a reluctance to rely on a transponder that may have come with the airplane itself from Wichita, and a preference to replace it at a time and place convenient for the OP. OTOH, getting a Stratus or other In-box and flying it as is for awhile is a serviceable option as well. That would definitely be the cheapest option. I’d just be ready to upgrade the transponder sooner than later. And at a potentially inconvenient time.

I have spent the better part of my Sat looking at avionics on the internet, I think I'm numb at this point. I did, to my surprise find the GTN 750 as low as $7500, and lots of GNS 530W for around the 5K range while some still wanting 10 and 12K. I did look at the Avidyne IFD 540, I like, I'm more of a button knob guy.
This is most likely not my forever airplane but one I'll keep in the 1-2 year range. I would like to be able to enjoy it and hopefully make a little when I sell it. The main motivator in this a/c is my 83yo father is 5 1/2 hours away by car and about an 1 15 by 310. Lets me drop kids at school, run up for lunch with Dad and be back in time to pick up kids. For the IFR part I want the ability to go and not have to wait until VFR conditions, plus a big seller on this plane was known ice with fairly new boots.
I can't believe some of ya'll want me to give up the ADF, cutting edge tech I tell ya, yeah it's on the gotta go list. The A/P is also what you might call cutting edge, C 400 navomatic. I don't know about functionality, I am told it works, if the wing leveler and YD work I'm good. Thanks to all I appreciate the input. One other Q: Is the GTN 750 already set up for WAAS or does it require an upgrade?

All GTNs are WAAS, as are all current production units. The GNS was the transitional model which is why the W indicates WAAS equipped units.

if the autopilot is a 400A or -B, there’s an outfit that can rebuild them. Autopilots Central in Oklahoma. They might be able to handle straight 400 units as well.

Thanks good to know about the 750, I knew about the W no W on the GNS models. The A/P is an A model so I will have to remember them.

The 310 is a nice plane and sounds like a good match for your wants. Gotta admit that one would be my forever plane. Great fun on longer trips too. Keep us updated with whatever you decide.

My thinking is a reluctance to rely on a transponder that may have come with the airplane itself from Wichita, and a preference to replace it at a time and place convenient for the OP. OTOH, getting a Stratus or other In-box and flying it as is for awhile is a serviceable option as well. That would definitely be the cheapest option. I’d just be ready to upgrade the transponder sooner than later. And at a potentially inconvenient time.

Definitely... But there's a whole panel full of avionics there that could be considered to be in the same category.

I have spent the better part of my Sat looking at avionics on the internet, I think I'm numb at this point. I did, to my surprise find the GTN 750 as low as $7500, and lots of GNS 530W for around the 5K range while some still wanting 10 and 12K. I did look at the Avidyne IFD 540, I like, I'm more of a button knob guy.
This is most likely not my forever airplane but one I'll keep in the 1-2 year range. I would like to be able to enjoy it and hopefully make a little when I sell it. The main motivator in this a/c is my 83yo father is 5 1/2 hours away by car and about an 1 15 by 310. Lets me drop kids at school, run up for lunch with Dad and be back in time to pick up kids. For the IFR part I want the ability to go and not have to wait until VFR conditions, plus a big seller on this plane was known ice with fairly new boots.
I can't believe some of ya'll want me to give up the ADF, cutting edge tech I tell ya, yeah it's on the gotta go list. The A/P is also what you might call cutting edge, C 400 navomatic. I don't know about functionality, I am told it works, if the wing leveler and YD work I'm good. Thanks to all I appreciate the input. One other Q: Is the GTN 750 already set up for WAAS or does it require an upgrade?

@CaptVernDemerest thanks for the extra info. You're kind of in a tough spot though, you'll generally not get your investment back on avionics. I've gotta ask, what plane is next for you?

If you've found a 750 that low, IMO the used 750 is the way to go. The market places a premium on Garmin, and the 750 is a really nice unit, with the big screen that I think you want, and it's something that's well supported and will be for a long time, and has value on the used market, and is worth the investment to install.

Now, it's really up to your budget. You could fly with the 750, hope the rest keeps working, and plan to sell in a year, and you might do OK. The original autopilot, old audio panel and radios are going to be somewhat of a liability when you sell. I could tell you to really trick it out, but if you're really committed to selling in a year or two you probably won't get all your money back unless you got a sweet deal on the plane. On the other hand, it seems that on nicer twins like the 310 there is somewhat of an expectation that it'll be better equipped than most of the singles out there, so being "cheap" may look bad when you sell.

Some things that go well with the 750:
* GTX 345 transponder will give you ADS-B In and Out, dual band (which opens up the flight levels and non-US travel) and will give you traffic and weather on the 750.
* GMA 350c audio panel gives you voice control of both itself and the 750, which is really cool. You get a button on the yoke for push-to-command and you can say things like "Tune nearest Center" or "Tune destination ATIS" or "Select Mic 1" or "Show traffic" or "Say winds" (which will vocalize the response in your headset). It makes getting around the 750 very quick and easy. This audio panel also has bluetooth if you like to listen to music while flying or you need to call for your clearance on the phone.
* FlightStream 510 will give you the ability to update your GPS databases easily via WiFi from an iPad, plus will stream traffic, weather, and attitude information to the iPad and do two-way flight plan transfer. Plan the flight in ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot at home, fire up the plane and beam your plan to the 750.

Some additional things that you may want to consider:
* Those KX radios are getting quite old. If they haven't already been overhauled, it's high time to get that done as there are likely electrolytic capacitors that are leaking by this point, and the acid from them will damage the boards in the radio, turning it into junk. If you're only going to replace one of them (with the 750), you should get the other one overhauled, with the switch contacts cleaned and electrolytic capacitors replaced at a minimum. Maybe get both of 'em done so you have a spare you can slide in.
* Some level of glass. As noted previously, you likely need to keep an old AI or turn coordinator (depending on what autopilot you have) but there's some nice capability even in the single-instrument-sized units (GI 275 and G5). Since you only have a DG right now, the electronic HSI would be a nice upgrade... And if you want to really make it nice, replacing the 6-pack with a G500 TXi would do the trick.
* It looks like you have an EDM 760 engine monitor in there? Good unit but for the plasma display. The EDM 790 gives you a nice bright LCD display and data logging and should be relatively cheap to install, re-using the existing CHT/EGT probes and harnesses.

I can easily spend six figures of your money, so if you share a budget you're looking for, maybe we can arrive at the best solution for you. :D

Back