Better Mapping Tool

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
If I wanted to find a ground reference on a chart using for example Google Maps, what's an efficient way to translate this point into a Navaid reference (Radial/DME)?

If I wanted to find a ground reference on a chart using for example Google Maps, what's an efficient way to translate this point into a Navaid reference (Radial/DME)?
Do you have Foreflight?

If you can find the VOR itself in Google Earth (sometimes searching works, sometimes it doesn't and you'll need to find it the old-fashioned way), you can do most of this inside Google Earth. Use the ruler tool to measure from the VOR to the target. For example, I measured 12.49 nautical miles on a heading of 018.75. That's the true heading. Using the A/FD, I see that this particular VOR has a variation of 14E (which is 4 more than the magnetic variation at that location--don't assume that your VOR has been turned to keep pace with changes in the Earth's magnetic field). East is least, so the radial should be 005. And sure enough, Skyvector puts my VOR005012 waypoint as near as can be expected to the target I was working from in Google Earth.

Find the nearest VOR on an aviation chart, look up the coords on airnav.com, put a pin in GE at the VOR and your ground point. Draw a line between noting the angle, then adjust for magnetic variation.

Or download the free version of memorymap.com, load FAA VFR raster charts into it and do everything in MemoryMap.

Get it. Seriously. There is no better app to the safety and SA for flying.

When you do get it, select the Street or Aerial map overlay. Find what you want. Press and hold and select and it will add it to your route planner.

You can type the name of the vor in Google maps, get the coordinates for that, then type in the location you want to track, get the coordinates from that. Use math to figure the radial and distance.

FlyQ has an aerial photo overlay. Makes it easy to drop a pin and fly to that point or find a VOR reference. I want to guess the other tools can do the same.

Get it. Seriously. There is no better app to the safety and SA for flying.

When you do get it, select the Street or Aerial map overlay. Find what you want. Press and hold and select and it will add it to your route planner.

Unless you want a 90% as capable app for free like FltPlanGo.

021f11a40fd46c00016b86eb6c3d5eb7.jpg

c4cd3b50e3555496d5e39c63bed9d084.jpg

213793c252a309c72eac6803493b5129.jpg

It was a couple steps but was relatively easy. Google Maps gave me the Lat/Long of the POI. I then entered that POI into skyvector along a route of a sample flight plan and then entered a nearby VOR preceding the POI and it provided Radial/DME.

1800wxbrief.com

switch to aerial view, click it and it give you radial/distance. One step. No converting necessary.

"buuuuut it's not foreeeeeefliiiiight. waaaaaahhhhhhhh!"

Back