F-35B has its first confirmed kill

How could this happen? I'm sure they had filed a flight plan!?

I’m glad to know there wasn’t any serious injuries!

How could this happen? I'm sure they had filed a flight plan!?

Yeah but was it a DD 175 or an ICAO flight plan? Could have been the difference.

Wow go Jarheads...glad I am not writing that after action report...looks like the marines only west coast tanker.

Was this during daylight?

$100,000,000 dusted!
Glad both crews are okay.

This is the problem with the F-35 concept, three different aircraft for three completely different missions, all with the same cockpit. They stuffed the A full of gizmos, leaving no room in the B cockpit for a crayon holder. The pilot workload is just too high during aerial refueling to expect him to also keep his snacks in his hand at the same time.

Seriously, though, the F-35 pilot was probably ready to punch out. The tanker crew was probably not fully prepared for a mid-air collision, so landing safely is really impressive to me. Is there training for that?

The tanker crew was probably not fully prepared for a mid-air collision, so landing safely is really impressive to me. Is there training for that?

No, they just jump right to the final exam. :D

I can't imagine it's even a simulator event but who knows. All kinds of weird stuff comes up in the sim.

Last edited:
This is the problem with the F-35 concept, three different aircraft for three completely different missions, all with the same cockpit. They stuffed the A full of gizmos, leaving no room in the B cockpit for a crayon holder. The pilot workload is just too high during aerial refueling to expect him to also keep his snacks in his hand at the same time.

Seriously, though, the F-35 pilot was probably ready to punch out. The tanker crew was probably not fully prepared for a mid-air collision, so landing safely is really impressive to me. Is there training for that?

I’d bet they fail two engines a side in the sim but simulating specific structural damage with that would be a stretch. Maybe their sim can inflict combat damage though. Ours could. Anyway, pretty sure they don’t carry parachutes in the back so they were along for the ride. Did an outstanding job. I’m sure there will be DFCs coming their way soon.

Reminds me of a night I had just gotten airborne as the oncoming tanker "king". As I was getting package checks done and consolidating gas with one of the offgoing tankers, we got a heads up that there had been some incident with one of the E-2's in the ensuing recovery. Turns out they had boltered and clipped 5 different jets parked along the 2 row of the bow as they climbed away. Long story short they safely diverted to a foreign airfield ashore, missing a few feet of their right wing. Wing was replaced onsite and the bird flew back to the boat shortly. Even more quickly, kill markings for 4xF/A-18 and 1xEA-18G were painted on the nose. Turned out the senior leadership didn't find that too funny and it was removed. But it was I think the first E-2 "ace". :)

the real problem is the kerosene on the ground.

Actually not really as much of a big problem, more of a lengthy problem. They will dig up all the contaminated soil, run it through a portable incinerator and put it back on the ground. Just like they do with gas stations where the older style underground tanks develop a leak.

Being in California, the next question will be how long until that field can be used again.

Actually not really as much of a big problem, more of a lengthy problem. They will dig up all the contaminated soil, run it through a portable incinerator and put it back on the ground. Just like they do with gas stations where the older style underground tanks develop a leak.

Being in California, the next question will be how long until that field can be used again.
Yeah. That is what makes it the real problem. Squished carrots are not that big of a deal.

Back