Battle Ground VORTAC

dfs346

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DFS346
Here's a request for you flyers in the Vancouver, WA, or Battle Ground, WA, areas. Attached is a photo of the Battle Ground (BTG) VORTAC at 7799 NE 174th St, Vancouver, WA 98662. Could anyone provide a photo from a similar perspective (or slightly closer) with permission to use it, with attribution, in a publication? Many thanks.
(The attached photo is from Google Maps who, I suppose, own the copyright. The author is identified only as Scott P. and Google Maps will not disclose his contact details.)

Attachments

• BTG VORTAC Scott P 02.jpg
    BTG VORTAC Scott P 02.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 212
Does it have to be that particular VOR? I have one just a couple miles from my office.

Here's a request for you flyers in the Vancouver, WA, or Battle Ground, WA, areas. Attached is a photo of the Battle Ground (BTG) VORTAC at 7799 NE 174th St, Vancouver, WA 98662. Could anyone provide a photo from a similar perspective (or slightly closer) with permission to use it, with attribution, in a publication? Many thanks.
(The attached photo is from Google Maps who, I suppose, own the copyright. The author is identified only as Scott P. and Google Maps will not disclose his contact details.)

I’ll get you one but be advised I’m a lousy photographer. Have you run across this in your research https://victor23.com/ . I live a couple miles away. I’ve intended to go to check it out but haven’t. Maybe now I’ll finally do it. You can attribute @EdFred here in post #29 for me finding your post https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...se-start-an-aviation-topic-only-board.128511/

Last edited:
Thanks a million. I think today's smartphones make good photographers of all of us. Yes, I had heard of the Victor 23 brewery and they get a brief mention in my book. Happy to attribute both @EdFred and yourself.

I just mapped it. 72nd Avenue, which I’d have to take to get there is closed, but there’s houses so it’ll be open to local traffic. I’ll give it a try.

Too bad I'm seeing this thread this evening. We were just in Vancouver earlier today and could have stopped by on the way home.

Just down the road from Manor Grange. Back when I was in elementary school our bus passed right by the Battle Ground VOR. None of us kids new what it was - most speculated it was some kind of missile base; what with the Cold War and all. Sorry, I don’t have a photo, but thanks for bringing back some memories.

I just mapped it. 72nd Avenue, which I’d have to take to get there is closed, but there’s houses so it’ll be open to local traffic. I’ll give it a try.

There’s another way to get there. You can go up I-5 to the 179th St exit, which also is where the Clark County fairgrounds are. Head east off the down ramp. In 3 miles you’ll come to an intersection with 72nd Ave. The VOR is SE of the intersection. Behind a church if I remember correctly.

There’s another way to get there. You can go up I-5 to the 179th St exit, which also is where the Clark County fairgrounds are. Head east off the down ramp. In 3 miles you’ll come to an intersection with 72nd Ave. The VOR is SE of the intersection. Behind a church if I remember correctly.

Didn’t see a church. Doing the 5(yes,THE 5, not I5, I lived in California for 30 years where proper reverence is given to freeways:)) would have been way out of my way. I live close enough just doing surface streets was faster. The road closure is still there but the barricades were off the street on weekends.

Thanks a million. I think today's smartphones make good photographers of all of us. Yes, I had heard of the Victor 23 brewery and they get a brief mention in my book. Happy to attribute both @EdFred and yourself.

Got em. PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

Didn’t see a church. Doing the 5(yes,THE 5, not I5, I lived in California for 30 years where proper reverence is given to freeways:)) would have been way out of my way. I live close enough just doing surface streets was faster. The road closure is still there but the barricades were off the street on weekends.

I thought referring to freeways with an article, as in “the 202” was just a Phoenix AZ thing.

Oh, I swapped the location of the church and the grange hall in my head. I haven’t lived in the Battle Ground area for about 35 years, so, you know...

What always drove me crazy about the southern cal freeways was their names. San Bernardino, Ventura, Santa Ana, Hollywood, etc. As a visitor, you get stuck in traffic and look at a map, see freeway numbers and make a plan. Then the radio station broadcasts a detailed traffic report, that only refers to freeways by name. Without a decoder ring, good luck.

Still need this? I can bop over tomorrow. Didn't notice this earlier. I have few reasons to visit Vantucky and try to never cross the columbia river without cause, but I can stretch a point. :D

Still need this? I can bop over tomorrow. Didn't notice this earlier. I have few reasons to visit Vantucky and try to never cross the columbia river without cause, but I can stretch a point. :D

I got his email and am going to send them to him in a minute. We don’t be takin to kindly to Vantucky over here these days. It’s now ‘The Couve’:)

The Battleground VOR used to the Portland VOR.

That must have been a very, very long time ago before there was a Portland VOR/DME, ID PDX, on the airport at PDX. It got decommissioned about 8 years ago.

Edit: found an old Chart. It was PDX as of SEP 26 1980. The PDX VOR/DME on the airport would have been commissioned after that

Last edited:
That's also when there was a 9677' mountain a few miles northeast of the VOR ...

It's still there in spirit. Hey, do you remember when the PDX VOR/DME got decommissioned? And when it got commissioned, had to be after 1980?

I remember that day well. I was a kid up in Kent and we were walking out to the car when it went. Later that day we were out having a BBQ in the back yard when my Uncle in Columbia Falls MT called us in a panic. He had been trying all day but the circuits were busy and he thought we were all dead. His yard was covered in ash, they were wearing masks and the sun was blotted out but here we are having a BBQ.

I remember the next day some kid bringing some rocks into school claiming they were from the eruption and he found them in his yard. We were in Michigan.

Can't believe I paid him $35 for them.

kgruber's chart is very old. It seems to have an Adcock range, PDX, 332 KC.

I thought all those went out of service in the USA about 1970. The last one in the east, Norfolk, went out about then, and was the last one here.

What is the date on that chart?

I remember the next day some kid bringing some rocks into school claiming they were from the eruption and he found them in his yard. We were in Michigan.

Can't believe I paid him $35 for them.

If only ebay was around then

It's still there in spirit. Hey, do you remember when the PDX VOR/DME got decommissioned? And when it got commissioned, had to be after 1980?

I'm certain it was still operating when I moved to Vancouver in 1995. Beyond that I really don't recall.

I have a CF-16 WAC dated February 7, 1991 and one dated January 30, 1997. Both editions show both the BTG VORTAC and the PDX VOR/DME.

Last edited:
kgruber, the second chart seems to be newer, as the PDX 332 no longer has the Adcock range markings. New Adcock ranges were not created after the VOR system became well established. What was the date on the first chart?

Back