Daily Pic

Did a thing this week

ryH8kty.jpg
Congrats!!! Best of luck!!

Looks similar but further south actually, Gillespie SEE

I've been down there a few times for lunch. I always come in from the east, over El Capitan Reservoir and Alpine, and even though the airport is right there on the GPS, it always seems to hide behind the hill!

Some pictures of my Saturday. With captions.

This sight picture takes me back about 36 years. Way back in 1984 I started flying lessons with Boy Scout Aviation Explorer’s Post 272 in Easton, Pennsylvania. Back then, the Boy Scouts were more involved with providing the opportunity to fly before potential liability litigation would shift the focus of Aviation Explorers from actual flying to activities that were less “dangerous”. This is final approach to runway 36. My instructor would have been sitting in the back seat of the Piper Super Cruiser and he would have said “you are high” if he wanted to give me advice. The fields between Woodstock and the airport belong to Lafayette College and are used for softball, baseball, lacrosse and other outdoor activities. Tatamy, Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020
1001finalto36n43.jpeg

Turning final to runway 6 at Lehigh Valley International, aka Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton. One of the “Prime” jets was in the process of being pushed back and would wait for me to depart after my second touch and go. Catasauqua, Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020
1004finaltosixABE.jpeg

This used to be the Bethlehem Steel Research Center. Now it is part of Lehigh University’s Campus. Aptly named “Mountaintop Campus”. Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020
1008researchcenter.jpeg

The route of flight as recorded by ForeFlight. Usually I like to fly around Allentown’s Class Charlie airspace. This time I went through it on the way back to Pennridge. Just a fun day of meandering. A bit bumpy but beautiful weather none the less. Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020
1009routeofflight.jpg

I've been down there a few times for lunch. I always come in from the east, over El Capitan Reservoir and Alpine, and even though the airport is right there on the GPS, it always seems to hide behind the hill!
It does! it catches some people off guard who are new to the airport and flying in on the localizer IMC.. you break out and the airport is right there under you!!

Grimes Airport (8N1) in Bethel, PA. Flew in for the "Biplanes and Bands" event and stretched my sleeping bag under the wing for the night, that's my Hatz in the foreground with the Waco they were hopping passengers all day in in the background.

upload_2020-9-20_20-12-49.png

Only a few planes stayed over, this is the view from my sleeping bag in the morning:

upload_2020-9-20_20-18-4.png

Smoke is the reason I’ve got no photos to share from my flight Sunday, from Colorado to Iowa. It was worst in Nebraska.

The following four were taken today. Nothing at all to compare with some of the amazingly gorgeous shots in this thread, but it was a nice flight and figured I'd share the joy. One's of the marina where our boat is, indicated by the arrow. One is of a very long train... couldn't get all of it. One is of my favorite airport... the runway is 23' wide, and it's a HECK of a scary approach to 6 (pictured, but didn't land today) due to the trees. One may be familiar to a certain highly informative poster on this forum.

YouAre Here.jpg Train.jpg FavAirport.jpg VGC.jpg

Some pictures of my Saturday. With captions.

This sight picture takes me back about 36 years. Way back in 1984 I started flying lessons with Boy Scout Aviation Explorer’s Post 272 in Easton, Pennsylvania. Back then, the Boy Scouts were more involved with providing the opportunity to fly before potential liability litigation would shift the focus of Aviation Explorers from actual flying to activities that were less “dangerous”. This is final approach to runway 36. My instructor would have been sitting in the back seat of the Piper Super Cruiser and he would have said “you are high” if he wanted to give me advice. The fields between Woodstock and the airport belong to Lafayette College and are used for softball, baseball, lacrosse and other outdoor activities. Tatamy, Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020

Turning final to runway 6 at Lehigh Valley International, aka Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton. One of the “Prime” jets was in the process of being pushed back and would wait for me to depart after my second touch and go. Catasauqua, Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020

This used to be the Bethlehem Steel Research Center. Now it is part of Lehigh University’s Campus. Aptly named “Mountaintop Campus”. Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020

The route of flight as recorded by ForeFlight. Usually I like to fly around Allentown’s Class Charlie airspace. This time I went through it on the way back to Pennridge. Just a fun day of meandering. A bit bumpy but beautiful weather none the less. Pennsylvania. September 19, 2020
View attachment 90158

Grew up around there got my primary at N57, you're making me homesick... Now that you have done that, here is my shopping list:

10lbs Habersatts Scrapple
2 Sho-Fly Pies
2 dozen Amorosos' 8" rolls
2 lbs of WaWa white American cheese..

Looked like an awesome day for flying, which there are many if this time of year.

The large-aircraft storage area at KGYR (Goodyear AZ) is a lot more crowded now than it was a year or two ago. Among them are several UAL 737 Maxes.

BTW, that DC-7C in the third photo has been there the longest of any of the stored airliners at Goodyear. It is N777EA, originally built for KLM as PH-DSR. It was the last DC-7C, and the last piston airliner ever built by Douglas. The baseball fields in the foreground are part of the Cleveland Indians' spring training facility.

For comparison, this photo is from 2018:

Trying to upload some pictures but they all are rotated sideways for some reason. Never had this problem here before. Any ideas?

I was between the Kingston and Rip Van Winkle bridge. (closer to the Rip at this point.) I was already gaining altitude at this point as I was coming up on the bridge. Maybe 50ish feet?
I was significantly lower down by Kingston. Maybe 2-3 feet off the water. I'll post that portion of the video tomorrow.
The son of a friend was one of the railroad work crew. I knew where he was working so I flew past to give him a wave.
At the start of the flight I was spotted by a Coast Guard boat that was doing maintenance. They turned around to come after me. I guess hey thought I was going into the water until I throttled up again.

I flew out of Boise today. Much better than last Wednesday when I flew in!

I'm waiting for more containment of the Bobcat fire in the San Gabriels...the TFR extends pretty close to my home airport, Cable. I'll go up on Sunday, perhaps.

I was between the Kingston and Rip Van Winkle bridge. (closer to the Rip at this point.) I was already gaining altitude at this point as I was coming up on the bridge. Maybe 50ish feet?
I was significantly lower down by Kingston. Maybe 2-3 feet off the water. I'll post that portion of the video tomorrow.
The son of a friend was one of the railroad work crew. I knew where he was working so I flew past to give him a wave.
At the start of the flight I was spotted by a Coast Guard boat that was doing maintenance. They turned around to come after me. I guess hey thought I was going into the water until I throttled up again.

I saw the video thanks for posting. Great views with the 360

On this warm but calm morning I took a flight downstream over the winding Gila River to seek out some more Arizona history. The river doesn't look like much, with only a trace of water to be seen here and there. But when there are heavy thunderstorms afoot the river becomes a raging torrent. Before the 1854 Gadsden Purchase, the Gila was the boundary between the US and Mexico.

In 1851, a family of settlers was attacked by natives along the bank of the Gila. The parents and four of the seven children were killed; one daughter was held captive by the tribe for five years, while her sister died in captivity. The attack and massacre took place here, on what is now known as Oatman Flat:

Thirteen nautical miles further downstream, in 1862, the westernmost skirmish of the Civil War took place at a stagecoach stop known as Stanwix Station. The Confederate detachment was led by 2nd Lt. John Swilling, who is today regarded as one of the founders of the city of Phoenix.

Stanwix Station was located here:

Back