Will someone PLEASE start an aviation-topic only board!

I like the equal opportunity hater nature to POA. In the type specific forums things are a little too Jonestown for my taste. I think they're better to get some tech feedback on ye old kites, but dare make a comparative criticism of the type/brand hosted on the forum and watch the umbrage runaway like Chernobyl #4. It's just a very monochromatic de facto archiving of type specific tech info.

I also like this place is more tolerant/comfortable of online sarcasm while discussing aviation content, something that I've only found on closed FB pilot groups. Tbh, those are just commuter airline pilot potty humor, which I liken to the jilted OTR driver lifestyle. Not much bona fide av content really.

The mil/pro boards are just right wing Grunt Style Basic Bro echo chambers; I get enough of that hegemony at work.

So POA it is for me :D

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

― John Lydgate
That’s really what it boils down to - just can’t make everyone happy.

POA strikes the best balance among all of the aviation specific forums that I’ve perused over the years and has a great community of pilots and enthusiasts from all experience levels (it helps to have met so many of y’all ;)).

Last edited:
There’s very little new in aviation.

Once any board has a few years of content that’s searchable, it’s all repetition.

Any board is mostly just about the people after that.

Lift, thrust, drag, and weight.

Garmin GI 275 and Uavionix AV-30-C are new.

PA-28R spar AD is new.

AC 90-66B is sort of new.

Garmin GI 275 and Uavionix AV-30-C are new.

PA-28R spar AD is new.

AC 90-66B is sort of new.

And all covered here, for what little it matters.

Heck the spar was years ago and we all said oh boy, it finally killed a DPE at a famous school, here it comes.

Wasn’t much to discuss on any of them, really.

The regs are a decent point about number of changes, but I’m signed up for those changes direct from FAA.

Only if the thing is completely non-understandable (and there’s a lot more than just one AC! Probably get ten emails a month besides the airport regs which equal 30-50) there’s nothing to discuss there either.

Read and comprehend and it’s fine.

Vast majority is just grousing about those or playing what-if, which is questionable as being truly aviation-related more than people-related. People do that to every change in anything.

Anybody can look at any avnews site for product announcements or sign up for manufacturer spam direct if they like.

So...

Evidence a forum is mostly for people to interact about stuff like that, than truly needed for information dissemination.

And evidence a site would have three posts without comments for those three.

Nothing strictly aviation related is usually truly said after post number one on news notices. Just emotional responses. Maybe a link to historical reasons for newbies.

Still way more about interaction than the aviation content. That stuff is delivered straight to my inbox.

Dude looks like a real wiener to me, always trying to ketchup to his friends. I guess he couldn't cut the mustard.

Yep, I never sausage a thing!

POA and Beechtalk kind of scratch my GA itch along with a private naval air board.

I don't go anywhere that I'm forced to register to browse, so pretty much every other forum is out.

I don't go anywhere that I'm forced to register to browse, so pretty much every other forum is out.

In fairness, it's my understanding that such places are trying to avoid bots and having posts easily visible to the world.

But maybe I'm wrong.... won't be the first time, won't be the last.

In fairness, it's my understanding that such places are trying to avoid bots and having posts easily visible to the world.

But maybe I'm wrong.... won't be the first time, won't be the last.

Most likely the case but I'd been fine with captcha or some other sort of make sure you're a human question.

Maybe add a subforum ignore feature that would allow him to block Hangar Talk? That would give him his "aviation only" board.

Goat cheese. You will NOT bring goat cheese in to my airplane. Period. Simple. I would hatred on you if you did.
as bad a durian?

Most likely the case but I'd been fine with captcha or some other sort of make sure you're a human question.

don't you have a 'spam' email account? sign up with the spam email account, bogus name. zero personal information has been used. of course, you basically used your real name to sign up here, so who knows....

don't you have a 'spam' email account? sign up with the spam email account, bogus name. zero personal information has been used. of course, you basically used your real name to sign up here, so who knows....

No, and don't feel like making one.

I know how difficult it is to create a free email account. I use mine for most anything that requires an email. check it now and then, delete everything, repeat when needed.

I had some but then didnt use them in so long I couldn't remember the password. And since I give made up answers for the security/recovery questions I couldn't remember those either.

In ten years someone is going to search “why no aviation related forums”, find this thread and bring it back to life asking why there are no aviation related forums.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”― John Lydgate

Another couple of quotes, which are relevant here:

"You cannot change peoples behavior."
(it is rare to change how people think/react/talk/post. Including in online forums)

"You cannot stop people from talking"
(so many times I have seen "Just do a search, we can't talk about that here" or other talk-block comments)

The [NA] at the very beginning of a title is very, very helpful for someone on a short time budget to skip past all those non-av posts if that is their goal. And indeed, many of those have obscure titles which would otherwise make it difficult to know if it is av, or non-av so the [NA] is a great idea. Some of us are so pressed at work that we hardly get time to take a ****, so reading a series of titles is very delaying.

The problem with necroposts is chronological context. Things really, really change in even 5 years. It is not very obvious when the 2nd last post was ancient and the necro was today. Our thoughts and responses to necroposts is naturally going to be vastly different. I will try to come up with an example.
Xenforo can warn the necroposter of their misdeed (try it, if you have not yet just to see the warning) so why it cannot put a simple colored banner on older threads is mystifying.
The very fact that the software we are using has come up with a necroposter warning is evidence that many realize necroposting is a problem.

Hangar Talk explicitly states that you may post non-av in that forum.
Flight Following is aviation.
I think that covers the OP's issue right there anyway.

In ten years someone is going to search “why no aviation related forums”, find this thread and bring it back to life asking why there are no aviation related forums.

What if a million years from now the only surviving record of civilization is POA? Your an alien from another planet. Now, tell us about earth

They’ll probably still be flying them.

With ruddervators so covered in patches, they look like a hobo's trousers, and counterweights made of depleted uranium. :D

(don't care, I'd still fly em, Bonanzas rock)

What’s that on the dash in front of the right seat? Some plastic Jesus thingy?
Fun fact: If you are flying a plane without a slip-skid ball, a bobble head on the glare shield will do the same job. And if you’re going to fly with a bobble head on the dash, why would you get anyone other than Jesus?

Back